What are the best games for Windows right now?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chris14, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Chris14 macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2006
    Hamilton, NZ
    Throw some games in the hat please guys!
    I'm looking for a game to play under windows on my machine (see sig)

What are you all playing at the moment?
  2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2004
    In a cup of orange juice.
    Maybe I'm getting old, but there doesn't seem to be any right now. :( All of the games I find interesting are being funneled/gimped to the 360, or the promising ones have been blah in general. The only game that my PC buddies got into, which I didn't for obvious reasons, was WoW, which of course is cross platform. Now that's all some of them play. :confused:

I haven't bought a PC game for a few years now. My PC Tower(s) are only on for a little bit of work these days.

What type of games do you like, I can ask my friends if they've found anything good at the moment, or if WoW is still consuming their lives? I've been gaming on PCs since the eighties and prior to this drout used ot game all of the time, mostly online and via LAN parties. And MS thinks we'll pay for services that are still free...

This is the only game I'm even remotely interested in playing. But I'm not hold my breath, since System Shock 2 and other games that uses a similar approach to the first one, kind of blew chuncks in comparison.

3. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    I frown upon WoW as well... I just don't see why it is so fun, its expensive, it requires insane amounts of time, its not competitive, it requires no skill, it messes up Warcraft's story, no no, I just don't like it, plus it takes time away from the developers that could be put to better use, like developing Starcraft 2, Diablo III or even Warcraft IV for instance. Then again, I've never enjoyed a MMORPG.

Right now I'm pretty busy playing F.E.A.R. Extraction Point and Condemned, both games are pretty awesome to play late at night, lights off, alone, headphone and the sound cranked up.

I'm also wasting some free time on Warcraft III (if you don't have WC3 stop reading and go buy it and the expansion) and the Command & Conquer 3 demo. Supreme Commander is a damn fine RTS as is C&C3 which is coming out next week.

Look forward to Shadowrun, Bioshock, Unreal Tournament 3 and Spore later this year.
  4. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    STALKER is coming out next week in the UK. I'm hoping it's going to be a Fallout-esque FPS. It's set in an area called the Zone, near Chernobyl. It's a bit of a mish mash of Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky and the Chernobyl incident. CVG has plenty of interviews and reviews with the developers.

5. MetalFace macrumors member

Mar 10, 2007
    HL 2
    Final Fantasy 11
  6. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

Oct 4, 2006
    Any of the Call of Duty's

oh...and Jezzball...:rolleyes:
  7. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    I second that. I've not been using for about two months now! :D

Another good multiplayer FPS is Battlefield 2142 - really fun if you get the right squad and server.
  8. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I haven't played a windows game in ages, but if it were raining my brother and me used to choose a droplet each and race them down to the cill.

Wicked good fun!
  9. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Sims 2
    Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 + Soaked + Wild! Expansions
    DarkMessiah - Might & Magic
    HalfLife 2 + Episodic Content
    Oblivion - ES3

Things I hate about PC Gaming : S.T.E.A.M
  10. Chris14 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2006
    Hamilton, NZ

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I have Call of Duty 2 which really is great fun on Multiplayer, but I'm looking for something new.
    I purchased Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II but am not enjoying it very much, so I will return it tomorrow and swap for something else. Supreme Commander looks so cool but I am worried about how it will perform... it says it needs a 256 meg Vid Card recommended and I like my games to look good... Is Medieval II any good?
    oh, and I quite enjoy strategy games. Civilization IV is highly recommended too... and I love Civ III.

Thanks again,