What are the chances (Mac Pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nsknike, Apr 5, 2006.

1. nsknike macrumors regular

What do you guys and gals think the odds are the apple will include a Physics card in the mac pro, or whatever it is going to be called.

2. macpastor macrumors regular

macpastor

Physics Card?

3. nsknike thread starter macrumors regular

Bummer, now that they are allowing XP to be booted, I was thinking of when I get the new Mac Pro, it would be a beast for playing games on.

4. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

I, honestly, had no idea. So I looked it up on Wikipedia!

Well, a Physics card (one being PhysX) is a dedicated processor that handles physics processes. According to Wikipedia, a Physics card handles "rigid body dynamics, soft body dynamics, collision detection, fluid dynamics, hair and clothing simulation, finite element analysis, and fracturing of objects." It's basically an extra GPU for these things. (Physics cards, though, are used more for video games and less for computing.)

Apple doesn't really get involved with niche components, and this would be one of them. In my opinion, I'd doubt it. Some examples of niche products Apple didn't use are memory card slots, built in rotatable webcams, security fingerprint scanners, those weird scrolling sections on HP laptop scroll pads and doors that open on towers.

How is this a bummer?

5. nsknike thread starter macrumors regular

It's a bummer in the fact that, I really want my next computer to have one. And I am set on the new Mac Pro, as I love macs and only game every once in awhile.

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

Then buy one from newegg and install it yourself!

I for one, do NOT want this component in my coming Mac Pro, not only does it waste up a slot or whatever in my box, it is consuming and wasting my power too!

7. nsknike thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't think that you could just buy a card on newegg and put it in your mac. It has to be mac compatible, or am I wrong with Boot Camp now out? Also it wouldn't have to be included it could be an option.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

A Physics Card would be nice as a BTO.

9. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

The odds are zero. To put it another way, there is a 100% chance they will not include one. There's an ever-so-faint chance it could maybe possibly be a BTO option. However, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to buy one separately at retail.

--Eric

10. 92GTA macrumors newbie

92GTA

No because the next gen ATI cards will have this feature built into them on the same card...