What are the chances of Aluminium iMac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macphoria, Jan 8, 2003.

1. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I realized that Power Mac has front panel that has aluminium look to it. And now we have all aluminium PowerBook. How about Aluminium iMac? Do you think that will happen?

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I think it would be hideous, just my opinion though.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

What would be the point? the iMac looks quite nice as it is, and doesn't need the durability (and high-tech appeal) of a metal casing... A better question would be what are the chances of an aluminum iBook. The answer would still be 0, but it would make sense at least :)

pnw

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

5. medea macrumors 68030

medea

trust me, it won't. from a designer point of view the metal look is not very attractive in large quantities, do we really want our desktops to look like brushed metal space rockets? Plastics are way cheaper to use and produce and your not usually going to bang around your iMac so the metal wouldn't be for any purpose other than looks, and it wouldnt look good.
    The powebook is able to use Titanium and Aluminum because it still looks classy, it would be harder to pull that off on a desktop.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

sure, plastic is better and probably better looking

but aluminum can't be that much more expensive

the costlty parts are the cpu, ram, software, and lcd screen

the aluminum fabrication is just incidental and the overall price may be upped just a bit to reflect that or maybe the prices can still stay the same since computer components go down in price every week

7. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I think that the aluminum looks good on the Powerbook, but I'm not sure if it would look good on an iMac, I am not sure if it would look right. I think that the white looks great, and I think that Apple will keep it that way for a while.

8. ddtlm macrumors 65816

I think the metal only looks good on thin things, otherwise... bad things happen. Anyway, why would the iMac go metal when the iBook currently matches it perfectly? If anything is going to go metal, expect it to happen to the towers, and even then Apple will have a hard time making it look good. IMHO.

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Metal wouldn't look good on the current iMac shape. Imagine a big metal bowl turned upside down. Not something you'd want on your desk...

Metal seems to be the choice for professional products. Real metal for the laptops and silver color for the pro desktops.

White is for the consumer products, such as the iMac and iBook.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it might look like it needs to be put away with the dishes;)