What are the chances that the courts will decide?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    We've all heard the stories of continuing efforts on the part of the RNC to disenfranchised voters, machines that don't work or can be manipulated. It seems that the field is ripe for another trip to the courts to settle the upcoming election.

According to this article in the Guardian,
    It looks as though it will be a sure thing that the courts will get dragged into deciding who wins. I don't think it is a good idea but I think the only way to prevent this again in the future is for the courts to imprison those who have been disenfranchising voters. I think it would be pretty funny to see gw and rove behind bars!
  2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    I don't think there is any doubt that there will be court cases from the election. Whether they are about things that will shift the results of the election is another matter. Will Florida be the difference again? If so there is a great likelihood that the courts will be involved. Also the results of the Colorado Proposition 36 could throw the election in the courts. If it passes there will be a court challenge. I'm just hoping all the talk of a Kerry surge among new voters is going to come true and make all this moot.
  3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Funny you should mention this.

I was going to start a thread asking people to handicap the election, i.e., what do you think the chances are that there'll be a repeat of 2000, with at least one state having to do a recount.

That'll almost certainly involve the courts, since people tend to argue over which ballots should and should not be counted.

I think the way things are going, there's at least an 80% chance that there'll be a recount somewhere.