What are the chances? Yonah <-> Merom compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kevin.rivers, May 21, 2006.

1. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

I have read some speculation about it being possible to swap a Yonah out for a Merom in the iMac and MacMini. I know that they both have socketed(removable) processors.

I also know that the iMac is a pain to pull apart. However, this will give me a nice upgrade path.

It is speculated that initially Apple will stick Meroms in the current 945 chipset, and later move to the 965 chipset. Anyone have any insight on this?

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

Someone has replaced his processor in a Mac mini to a pre production merom. They can be swapped in and out.

3. kevin.rivers thread starter macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Amazing! Do you have a link for this? This perfect, this way I can sit out on the notebook line until they get improved. Woot!

4. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

The only way to swap them in notebooks is to unsolder the CPU, not easy. in iMacs, they are socketed, and its as easy and lift, pull, place, push, boot.

5. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I can't find the link where someone actually put on in (although it was on this site), i did find this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=193349 "Merom apparently works without a hitch in current Intel Mac's. That might actually say someone put it in, i just didn't have time to read it.

6. odedia macrumors 6502a