Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Do folks know what has changed in the 1.5 GHz processor being used in the new PBs from the last iteration of the G4? Has Motorola found a way to make the chip run cooler / use less power? Is this just an over-clocked 1.33 like my 1.42 power mac processors? I would guess that after all of this time, Motorola could have gotten the G4 to a next step, but Apple hasn't mentioned anything about the chip other than its speed.

Thanks for any insight.

Update: I assume the motorola press release at this link is talking about the chip used in the new PBs??? :confused:

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,3861_3238_23,00.html

Here's the first bit of it (it continues on for quite a bit on the moto site)

"Motorola PowerPC™ Processor Delivers New Power Management Features, Higher PerformanceLow-Power, Gigahertz-Class Version of MPC7447A Processor Containing a PowerPC Core Consumes Less Than 10W, Provides Optimal Solution for Power-Sensitive Embedded DesignsAUSTIN, Texas – Feb. 23, 2004 -- System developers can rev up the performance of their embedded applications while staying within tight power budgets by using the MPC7447A processor from Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT). This high-performance, power-efficient 32-bit RISC device, operating in excess of 1.4GHz, is the latest and fastest member of the MPC74xx PowerPC processor family.The MPC7447A offers developers on-chip power management features, such as the ability to change clock frequencies dynamically. This capability enables users to change CPU clock speed on the fly and significantly reduce processor power consumption to match performance with application requirements. The MPC7447A processor also contains a temperature sensing diode that can be used to monitor die temperature under various operating conditions.MPC7447A processors are manufactured in Austin, Texas, on Motorola’s 130nm HiPerMOS silicon-on-insulator (SOI) copper interconnect process technology, which is designed to enable superior performance and excellent low power capability. When operating at 1.42GHz, the MPC7447A has a typical power consumption of less than 20W. A lower-power version of the MPC7447A, consuming less than 10W at 1167MHz, is available for power-sensitive applications that require gigahertz-class performance."

Update x2: I found a thread that suggests this is the chip being used. Thanks. They say on or before the 28th for my BTO 1.5 (dual 1.42 powermac replacement). It sounds like it might not be TOO hot or TOO power hungry.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I think they found a way to keep it cooler otherwise if your processor dies out faster than a 1.33 then its probably overclocked. Isn't there a site where you can download a FSB and Multiplier checker to check and see if it has just been overclocked because it can read properties from the processor? Cause the FSB should be 133Mhz or 167Mhz and the Multiplier should be about 9.2 167x9.2 =(APPROX) 1.5 GHz

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The Motorola 7447A chips are spec'ed to run at up to 1.5GHz. This was discussed in another thread or 4.

The multiplier is actually 9 for the 1.5GHz chips The frequency multiplier on the 7447A is in increments of .5 and the FSB can be 133 or *166MHz.

None of the chips Apple used were overclocked. With the 1.42GHz in the Powermac G4, Motorola only made enough for Apple to use, so they never got put up on their website.

*Some places quote it as 166MHz and some as 167MHz. The same thing really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.