What are the first things you do when you get a new Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sjshaw, Mar 14, 2005.

1. sjshaw macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2004
    Some of you may remember my post here where I discuss my new purchase.

Well, it turns out I could get a new 12" PB through an educator friend for $1499. I figured it was a better deal, what with the extra CPU power, bigger and faster HD, better SuperDrive, drop protection, etc. In the interim, I've decided to switch back to my beloved Mac platform permanently. The PC will only be for online poker, text sims, and Quicken (unless I think the upgrade would go smoothly for my 6+ years of data).

Soooo... now my question is, what do you guys do upon buying a new Mac? I saw the often-referenced threads here and here, but my question is a bit different. Not just what programs do you install, but what do you do?

Partition the HD? Install Gentoo? Migrate files from your PC/older Mac? Install scripts in User/Library? Of course, any special programs/customizations?

My hope is this thread could become useful to upgraders/switchers in addition to the myriad "Just got a new Mac, what do I do?" threads. Instead of asking the forum what I should do, I'm interested in what you do.

Perhaps this doesn't make sense or is overly duplicative. If that is the case, I apologize. I just like accumulating information about the Mac experience, now that I am fully back in the fold.
  2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    first thing i did was move all my photos and tunes from my PC to their now desitnations on my mac.
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I erase the drive and do a clean reinstall from the supplied disks.

Next priority is to get online and download & install any updaters, security patches etc. This usually involves installing modem software and setting up network preferences and the like...

Then I sort out my email accounts to make sure I can send & receive mail.

After that, the clean installing of all major work-related applications and their respective updaters and patches. Usually some tweaking here in applications' preferences particularly Photoshop.

Only after that, do I move stuff over from the old machine...
  4. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    I usually give it a name, I've usually spent a while thinking of what it should be but the actual first moments of unpacking and boot up are when the name becomes clear. :)

I love that new born Mac Smell, although I helped my mrs with her new mac and that one didn't smell the same as the others. hmm.

anyway, I give the wee beastie a name that will be with it forever. :)
  5. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    I install all my software... takes a while though... :rolleyes:
  6. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    Why do you erase and then install all the same programs again :confused:
  7. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2004
    London, UK
    When I got my first PowerBook, after neraly 15 years of using a PC, the first thing I did were;
    • opening up the finder
    • clicking on 'Applications'
    • clicking on 'Internet Explorer'
    • dragging it to the Trash,
    • emptying the Trash.

God, that felt just right :)
  8. celaurie macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland.
    ...stare at the the unpacked beast and decide on a name for her!
  9. Italiano macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2005
  10. mim macrumors 6502

Apr 24, 2003
    flesh, melbourne.... heart, london
    Factory installs are notoriously bad - corruption, errors, etc. Mind you - I haven't seen this with my powerbook, but I see it all the time at work (Dell's, go figure).

It's good practice for trouble-free computing.
  11. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    So doing an erase and the install everything is a good idea :confused:

Also when you do it you just go to Disk utillity and select erase, and then boot with the gives disk in the drive and by that you get all the bundled software that came with it and a better and more reliable system :confused:
  12. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    The first thing I like to do is install more RAM. Your 512MB will be sufficient though, at least for starting out, unless you get into some really intense work or like to have lots of apps and processes running at once.

There's no need to partition in OS X. That's a PC habit, and you may as well break that habit now. Get an external HDD (FireWire, preferably) for backups and a/v capture scratch.
  13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
  14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    If it's a new PB:
    1-Calibrate the battery
    2-Install extra RAM
    3-After set up with all files moved
    4-CCC to external HD for backup
  15. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004
    Actually, partitioning is not a bad idea. I find it very useful to have all my programs and software on one partition and all my work files on a second partition. I find it easier to organise and navigate to files within various applications's save menus.
  16. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2002
    Stilwell, Kansas
    I always smell everything new that I buy. When I buy a new CD, I open the shrink wrap, take off the sticker, open the jewel case and inhale deeply. I'm probably getting all kinds of chemicals in my lungs. Maybe I should stop.

New electronics always have a nice smell.

When buying something like a new computer, or iPod or other electronics, I try to set it up so that it is easy for my wife or kids to use. Create accounts for my kids and my wife, move all of their documents over, set up the networking, install apps. Then I give a demonstration on how to integrate their Handspring or iPod, how I want things organized, where they can find their games, how to attach to other machines...
  17. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2002
    Stilwell, Kansas
    It needs a little lisp ala "Princess Bride"
  18. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I whiff in the Apple goodness smell that comes with a new computer...:D

I'm sure they spray something in there.
  19. chv400 macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Ever since OS X ive always had hte urge to see how many windows i can smoothly minimize or expose in slow mo.
  20. paco taco mike macrumors member

paco taco mike

Jan 5, 2005
    San Francisco
    i take pictures of it, first of the box closed and every step up until i have it up and running.

before turning it on for the first time i look at it and smell the good new apple computer smell and just look at the beauty before my eyes.

i then turn it on and start the madness.

21. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    First I turn it on to make sure it works.
    Then I partition my hard drive and reinstall the OS on the first partition.
    Then i move my iTunes library to the 2nd partition.
    I then install all necessary apps that were not installed during the OS install.
    Then I run DeLocalizer to remove all other language files than English.
  22. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    That's cool if it works for you. However, you could accomplish the same thing with a folder and/or an alias that you keep on your desktop and drag into your Finder sidebar. Then you'll never have to worry about either running out of space on the OS / software partition, or leaving unused empty space there.
  23. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    Step 1: Unplug all cords connected to your current pc. Step 2: Walk over to the nearest window and open it as wide as it will go. Step 3: Walk back over to the pc and pick it up, gripping firmly with both hands. Step 4: While holding the pc, walk back over to the open window. Step 5 is the most important: Raise the pc above your head and with great effort, throw it as far out of the window as possible. Step 6: Be happy. :D ;)