What are the most comon screen problems with the iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mjstew33, Jul 15, 2005.

1. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

My title says it all. I'm about to make a purchase in about a month, reguardless of an update and I need to know if there are some issues about the screen of the iBooks, the iBook i'm looking at is in my sig.

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Dead pixels. More than 4 (you can debate on 3) and Apple will replace. Good luck with the iB purchase. I've just done the same (see sig).

3. deetschei macrumors member

how can you count dead pixels?

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I wouldnt worry about dead pixels even if you had some you probably wouldnt notice as they are so small...

ANyhow apple use quality displays with little or no problems...

SHadoW ;)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also the lower res screens used on the iBook are not frequently prone to dead pixels. It happens, but it is more infrequent on the XGA displays than on the higher-res displays, irrespective of laptop manufacturer.

Other than that, people occasionally have problems with the cable inside the hinge, and eventually the backlight burns out. But both of those are things that tend to happen late in the computer's life, and are not particular to the iBook.

6. ak004m macrumors newbie

i never had any specific problems with my screen, no dead pixels at all or anything, only real problem is that it's just too small, too low of a resolution which gets pretty annoying at times

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Look around the screen and count them. It is easier if you have an image you can display all one color (white, black, red, green, blue).

8. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I have about two or three "bright" spots where the colors appear much brighter (and washed out) than the rest of the screen. To be honest, I've never really been happy with the screen.

9. BTS macrumors newbie

Then why didn't you send it in RMA?

10. everybodylikepi macrumors member

everybodylikepi

I don't know if this is still an issue, but with my G3 ibook (late 2002, in sig) I had the imprint of my keyboard on the coating of the LCD. Now I have a protector for the new powerbook, so I'm not sure if it's a laptop thing in general or just something confined to the old ibooks.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is still an issue with the G4s -- if you are consistent about cleaning it, it's not a big deal, but if you aren't then it can be a nuisance.

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

One, two, three, four....

They're little dots of some color that never or rarely change. You have to have the screen ON to see them.

;)