Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Inspird by the 8 things you are supposed to do when you first get in you car. I kind of wondering what are the list of features people here have high on there list for what opitions they want on there car,

High on the list like to have
Rear defrostor and AC are on the MUST have.
Head room is on the must have (I am quite tall) and good leg room.
Power mirrors
Power door locks
Power windows
Good gas miliage.
CD player.
Keyless unlocking and locking (grown quite addicted to having it. keeps me from locking my keys in my car)
Also high list is good engine power and good accerlation (sub 8.0s in 0-60) so it going to be on the sporting side. I go nuts when I drive a car or a truck that dont have acceration. I been correpted by my first car being a sport compact and my current car being even faster.

I like them to be a manual tranny. For me they are just more fun to drive mind you there are times where I wish my car was an automatic (when I have to drive in stop and go traffic and very heavy traffic but that not to offen)

Fun factor is imporanted. Huge reason I drive a spec V over a Mazda3 5doors (also happen to be the desiding factor.)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Ever since my youth, when we had an older car whose bottom had rusted away in areas, I absolutely require that I cannot see the road beneath my feet.

I also require cupholders.

Rear defrost and A/C are absolutely a must, as is a decent audio system (I'm married, so "decent" is the best I can expect, as I'd never be allowed to pick a car with an audiophile grade setup).

Memory so that mirrors, seats, etc. would go to their proper positions would be nice (I'm 1' taller than my wife).

A sliding rear partition, similar to that in limos, would be nice for long trips with the kids in the back, but I don't see that as an option on any vehicles (maybe I need to buy a limo).

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
A good sound system
Good Sports seats
Black interior
an Alfa Romeo badge on the wheel.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
-power windows
-AC/heater
-cup holder
-CD player/ auxiliary input and/or cassette deck for Nano

:eek: My old Volvo didn't have power windows, AC, cup holder, or CD player (the cassette player broke, too :p)-- makes me really really appreciate my MINI now.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Let's see.....

A comfortable, adjustable seat is a must - too many years of neck and back pain!
Good visability and decent sized mirrors
A decent heater (that takes less then 30 minutes to warm up)
SUN ROOF!!! (I miss my sun roof....)
Leg room in the back.
Enough trunk space for my scuba gear!

rockthecasbah said:
do they come standard or does that cost extra :p
Cost me more then I really wanted to pay, but she is worth it!

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Working engine
Working transmission (manual preferred)
working AC
power steering
windows
NO sunroof
windshield
fixed top (or at least a roll bar)
4-point harness (well, eventually)
little body roll
tires with a treadwear rating of less than 500 ( :rolleyes: )
overall decent to good performance
enough of a sound system so I can listen to my iPod. 3000W system is very much overkill for that. Plus it would weigh too much.

I think that's it

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
poopyhead said:
I would just add a couple of things
convertible top and manual transmission

Like the new Spider!!
Mmmmmmm

1826827742.jpg

2035349994.jpg

1449399910.jpg

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
My list of "must haves" seems to keep getting longer and longer. A lot of them have already been mentioned earlier in this thread, but some more recent additions to the list include:
  • Heated seats -- where have you been all my life? :D
  • Leather interior. It would be hard to go back to cloth seats now.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I'm glad my Alfa has cloth seats, it gets so hot in the car in the summer (no big heavy Air Con unit) leather seats would be unbearable.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
  1. Room for our dog's kennel and more
  2. Great mileage / Fuel economy (so far, a TDI)
  3. Manual transmission
  4. Easy to maintain interior
  5. Roof rack or compatability for sport racks
  6. Stereo with alternate source out/in

Wow...only one other so far concerned about good mileage? :(

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I bought a new MG about two and a half years ago and it's already falling apart, despite it having only done around 15,000 miles - quality British engineering! :eek: ;)

So I'm thinking of buying a Volvo next; nice, safe and quietly refined. Just like me :cool:

Essentials for me include power steering (how did I ever manage without it?), remote central looking, airbags and a CD player.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
1. Decent stereo with mp3 CD capabilities
2. Power Doorlocks
3. Power Windows
4. A/C
5. Good cupholders
6. Good fuel economy
7. Bitches in the backseat
8. A trunk/boot with enough room for a human body.

The usual stuff, really.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
welshandrew said:
I bought a new MG about two and a half years ago and it's already falling apart, despite it having only done around 15,000 miles - quality British engineering! :eek: ;)

Well they were going under at the time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.