What are the odds?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zblaxberg, Mar 23, 2007.

1. zblaxberg Guest

Jan 22, 2007
    What are the odds of apple releasing new stuff all at once? On the buyers guide there are so many things that are overdue for an update including many things that are reaching that point. So maybe leopard could be delayed because apple is working on new Mac Pros, new Imacs and new MBPs..........Does anyone see where I'm coming from here? Leopard is late but maybe it's late because apple isn't just focused on the new os....but on new computers as well...?
  2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    A few people have advocated this very position, personally I think we are likely to see not "all at once" rather close together but spread out enough so that each release gets its own proper media attention. I don't think Leopard is delayed because of the "distraction" of hardware updates, either...the hardware side is waiting for Santa Rosa on the portable side. The only releases that I think we may see at the same time are Final Cut and the New Mac Pros in April...then I think we see new MacBook Pros in May (maybe with a Leopard release date announced), then Leopard released right before WWDC and iMacs at WWDC in June, then iPhone, then MacBook. That's my guess.
  3. johnee macrumors 6502a

Leopard isn't late, "spring 2007" is valid till mid june. Also, the systems and OS are developed by different teams, so they are mutually exclusive in terms of productivity.

But I see your point, and who knows what will happen, no one here does :rolleyes:
  4. hal0n macrumors regular

Dec 27, 2004
    I say that it isn't very likely that they would update the entire line at once. Just from a manufacturing standpoint it would be really tough to retool everything at once. Distribution is another issue. They would have to deplete their inventory to a minimum, and then if there are issues with the new hardware, they are basically out of the retail space for the duration. I think they have been pretty smart about staggering the hardware releases in the past. I don't see why they would change that now.
  5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Jun 22, 2006
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    I would say Mac Pros at NAB, except for the R600 problem, as the Mac Pro is supposed to get them, but they most likely won't be released for at least another month (after NAB). Maybe Apple will announce them but not release until the R600 is available, or maybe they'll just cut the R600, and just go with 8 cores.

Macbook Pros at WWDC. Hopefully I'll buy a top range 15"er, pleasepleaseplease with an X2600. Probably along with new iMacs.

Santa Rosa Mac Minis and Macbooks maybe about a month later? With X3000 of course, and similar CPUs. After all, the Macbook Pro is the mobile iMac, and the Macbook is the mobile Mac Mini.

And new full screen, hopefully touch screen iPhone like iPods will be released when they are ready, hopefully soon.

That's my prediction. I want my Santa Rosa MBP! And I really, really want my DX10 graphics card!!!
  6. localoid macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2007
    America's Third World
    Release 4 new things all at once and the buzz about your new products might last for about 2 weeks in the press, TV, online media and news sites.

Release 4 new things, one at a time, spaced perhaps a couple of weeks apart, and you can ride the buzz for about 8 weeks... or perhaps longer.

If you were Apple would you want a 2 week buzz, or a two month buzz? :p
  7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    For the NAB (April) they probably will introduce an update of FCP. Because it will have a lot of core image, which is in Leopard, Leopard also needs to be announced. Shipdates will probably be later. Maybe they will also update one hardware line. Probably MBP, looking back at least year, every presentation on the Apple booth at the NAB was done with the new MBP's.

At the WWDC the other hardware will be announced, maybe Leopard will be available immediatly and shipping with every new Mac.
  8. furious macrumors 65816

Aug 7, 2006
    4*1*2*3*4=96 then you got to factor in past events. We will give that a value of lets say 4 that =385. Lets just say there is a chance but apple would be crazy to do so. Give it a month or more between updates.
  9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i don't think apple will release an entire product line in a day. i do, however, think updates will be quite frequent. i predict we'll be seeing leopard (with ilife and iwork), mac pros, mac minis and the iphone all in june. i'm also guessing macbooks, macbook pros and imacs to come in july. just a feeling.