What are the origins of your nicks?

Discussion in 'Community' started by patrick0brien, Jul 24, 2003.

1. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

Ok. This has to have been asked before, but I can't find such a recent thread:

What are the origins of your nicks? I just gotta know.

I wish I could say I was original myself, but mine is my name - and not really a nick - I know you're disappointed :D

There are just too many interesting and curious ones out there, and that makes me wonder about a few things. I'm pretty sure I understand what idea_hamster means, but what is a mullens, and why is it so huge? Why does bennet say argh? Do I want to know what a maradong is? And "Capt Underpants" is just plain funny. ( ;) ;) all in good jest guys)

So, what do you say?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Well...anyone who knows me or what I do for a living...

I like art... ;)

3. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I am a fan of macs. And 25 is just a random number. :D

Very creative. ;)

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well Captain Underpants is a children's book that I saw in a library one time. The Captain Underpants website is my homepage if you look up my member name. I thought the name was rather interesting. Too bad I couldn't put all of the word Captain in my nick (there is a character limit). I will get over it. When I get an avatar, I want to get a animation of captain underpants flying around, or atleast a pic of him.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Capt Underpants...that's a damned funny visual I get... :D

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, I play fantasy role-playing games with my friends and one of the characters I liked to play very often was a priest named Veldek Barain. So my friends began to call me this way and it became my nick.

But as I'm not the most creative person in the world, I have to admit that the name wasn't completely my idea. At this time, I watched an episode of "Star Trek - Deep Space Nine" where there was a Bajoran priest called Vedek Bareil, where Vedek was his title. I only changed the name a little and voilà - there was my nick.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Well mine is a self imposed Nickname. Its formed by my initials. Its also the name of a Computer Company I started 7 years ago. Very Successful, lots of fun. Computer Consulting it the best, except for some who claim your wasting time. But, of course they think PCs are the best until you show them a Mac... hence the reason for my Sig'.

TEG

9. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Mine's on the FAQ of my website. Hope you're not disapointed.

P-Worm

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Mine comes from the William Gibson Novel Neuromancer, it's the name of part of the Ummon AI that was running Corto and manipulating Case and Molly.

It's just an evocative name.

If you haven't read Gibsons work you should.

11. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

I was designing an action game for the Amiga back in 1991, and I was looking for a name for the hero, a super-military-fighting-robot. I invented the name "Stike", because I thought it sounds cool and I never heard of before. :D

The game was never realized, but the name stuck to me like glue, some people even call me that today.

I was majorly shocked during my US vacation, when I saw 1999 in the white pages of L.A. that there was one "Robert Stike" - it is just a normal family name!! :( So it was not so original in the first place... whatever. That´s my story.

12. guiverunit macrumors newbie

mines because i spelt gyverunit wrong and it just stuck

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ha ha...it's damned funny! :D

14. Angelus macrumors 6502

Mines just the evil alter ego of Angel from buffy.
    It's also happens to be a prayer said in Ireland at 6pm each day.Maybe thats why people ask me if i'm really devout?

15. morlium macrumors regular

a cross between Morla from The Neverending Story, and Morpheus and Delirium from The Sandman comics.

it was once the name of my turtle. when she deceased, i adopted it for myself.

16. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Well I think everyone knows who Baghdad Bob is.

I had just quit my job in preparation for moving up here at the time the war started, so of course I was watching the news like 24/7, and I was usually up late enough to catch the Minister of Misinformation's little press conferences every morning. Once I figured out how ridiculous he was he started cracking me up. Of course, after giving full attention to his conferences for a week or so the news channels stopped putting him on the main screen due to the utter meaninglessness of what he had to say.

My first BBS, called the "Chatterbox" in San Diego, back in '93 or so, I went by Devil Bunny. That was a combination of what I went by sometimes (you could change your chat room name at will) which was Warlock, and a girl calling me a bunny because I was a vegetarian.

17. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

my name's benjamin - split it in two you get Ben Jamin - first name Ben, surname Jamin, hence Mr Jamin.

18. Mblazened macrumors regular

mblazened = emblazoned

symbolic of the tons of weed i blaze all day

19. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Mblazened

I could only imagine what the Aqua interface does to your head like that - especially the Genie Effect.

20. dethl macrumors regular

For those of you who played the Zelda: Link's Awakening on the GB or GBC, my nick comes from the final boss of the entire game. I remember reading the name out of a help booklet at a bookstore at a mall I went to. The name stuck in my head, and I've been using it since.

21. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

I usually go by qwerty, but that one is often taken, so i used my domainname cuckoosnest...

Sometimes i use 1014399 (used to be my student number) and is never taken, but it's a bit weird to use a random number.

That's how i came to Cuckoo....

Not much of a story, I would rather have used Qwerty

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My nickname in the real world has been "Q" since the 11th grade. I purposely don't admit whether I use the title "Doctor" because I like the way it sounds, or because I'm actually a doctor of some kind (with a medical degree or a doctorate), or because I'm planning to be one someday, or because the title suits my hobby of helping people fix their computer problems, or because I'm just a pretentious nobody with delusious of grandeur. I like maintaining the mystery about that question.

23. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

hehe, I'm not gonna tell you... ;)

people who know German might understand what it means... :eek:

vSpacken

24. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I couldn't think of anything clever at the time so I chose pivo, which is Croatian for beer. 6 is -- well you just can't have one now can you. :D