Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
MrMacman:

Ha-ha-ha. Not funny.
If you need quite fans pay extra for them. Many people find that there computers don't need to be right next to them. If I were to get a G4 then I would have the Tower :
A under where the screen is or
B Next to the machine. If the sound can't reach you it is never the problem.
I really hope that this argument doesn't last much longer.
It's pathetic that you make excuses to cover for one of Apple's most obnoxious failings. Pay $3000 to get a "superior" and "higher quality" computer, and then go in with wire cutters and aftermarket fans to make it as quiet as less expensive, faster, "lower quality" PCs from any major OEM. Oh yeah baby!

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
It's pathetic that you make excuses to cover for one of Apple's most obnoxious failings. Pay $3000 to get a "superior" and "higher quality" computer, and then go in with wire cutters and aftermarket fans to make it as quiet as less expensive, faster, "lower quality" PCs from any major OEM. Oh yeah baby!

True

Apple are certainly not getting any of my money when I've got enough for a tower next year, noisy, soundcard hell (even some protools system don't work with them!!!) and unable to boot into an OS that will run all my software without me spending £££s on upgrades or even replacements for some of the more quirky OS 9 apps I use.

Not that I'd move platforms, I'll be on the look out for a used QS instead.

I agree with you, it's pathetic, there's being an apple user, then there's being a blind moron with nothing better to do than defend every bad thing apple do, the only defense is, "well it doesn't run on windows!", that's enough to defend the mac as a whole but all this 'superior' or 'higher quality' crap has got to stop as a defense.

As far as the design of both the G4 tower and it's motherboard, in what way does it fit these claims?

It's not speed, it's not expansion, it's certainly not a form over function case design and it's definately not ignoring the issue of how quiet a computer operates at.

It's bad enough that I've had an entry level - mid range powermac for nearly 5 years now and apple havn't even got something 3 times the clockspeed in it's place.

I see no need for such elborate cooling, the G4 is smaller than the Pentium 4 and uses far fewer watts but P4 systems run virtually silent where as the words 'wind tunnel', 'leaf blower' or 'doesn't even boot with my soundcard' crops up all the time with these FAKE DDR models.

All I can say is I hope apple get their act together before they have powermacs with the IBM chip in them, they WILL need better cooling than a G4 would typically need but no more than a Sawtooth G4 had given the watts and heat involved.

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
I couldn't care less what's going on in the pc world, my dual 867 is way too loud. It actually woke me up the other night and I had to shutdown. It's in a seperate room with the door closed. sick man. I wouldn't even consider moving it into my audio room (not why we got it anyway) It would certainly need to be isolated somehow. Whining? I don't think so. People work on audio on Powermacs. People like to sleep without having to shutdown their machines. It's an issue and Apple's engineers should be spanking themselves.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
People work on audio on Powermacs. People like to sleep without having to shutdown their machines.

I bought my mac for audio, it's fairly silent because of the drives I'm using so I leave it on over night sometimes. I can see where you're coming from, I have my beige G3 on the floor on thick carpet at the back of my desk. If I'm using protools LE, even in quiet parts of a tune, I don't notice the sound of it enough for it be distracting.

My CD writer makes a terrible noise, but it's still inaudible from another room, everything I read about the Mirrored Door G4s as far as noise or other issues that make them less than ideal for music puts me off them even more.

Sorry if I was implying I thought PCs were better or something, it's just that I see no need for such noisy cooling when 1 fan is enough in a 1Ghz TiBook and the G4 tower case appears to have ample ventilation to use far more subtle cooling methods.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by ddtlm
MrMacman:

Whatever you wish to say, but apple has no Major flaws with it's computers, if you fine 'noise' a problem, whoope-de-do-da-day. If you fine 'noise' a problem I'm supprised you haven't started an anti-apple campaign starting in these fourms. :rolleyes:
There are many reasons people buy apple computers you might point out that apple's computers cost more money, I can counter that they last longer.
If you say that The G4's are noisey, I take pitty, for there is only one reason for such a quiet room. You like in some alaskan tundra? No noise what-so-ever? ;)
If you point out that one of my alternatives is going in with 'wire cutters' to take my computer quieter, Many, MANY Pc users make/build there own computer. Oh yeah 'wire cutters' are rarely ever used to do Anything with a computer, ever because all the 'wires' you need are already there.
Pc's are fine and good, but making a case to the normal user saying:
'Mac's make more noise' most will give the answer 'Um ... So?' There is no big deal.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
MrMacman:

To paraphrase: "Nooooo... you lie! Apple is perfect!"

Go see a doctor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.