What are the real advantages of music to system 10?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ria, Mar 8, 2005.

1. ria macrumors newbie

I have a G4 1.25 single processor, which is a dual bootable system. I currently have system 9.2.2 and system 10.2.1, but only work in system 9.2.2.

I am considering moving over to system 10, but before I do so, I would like someone to tell me the main advantages that I will notice using system 10. I have asked a few people this already, but no one has really answered why it is any better than 9.2.2 there response has just been "It just is" which isn't much of an explaination. I need to ensure that my move to 10 will prove worthwhile.

Also I am running logic 6.4 and so it would be useful to know what version of 10 it will run most stable on.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Out of curiosity, why are *you* considering going to OS X? It sounds like 9.x does much of what you want quite well....

3. railthinner macrumors regular

First you should at least update to 10.2.8

umm, you'll never have to face the extensions manager again. :)

I have an old beige desktop running Digital Performer on 9.2 and it's just fine. No NEED to update but eventually I will -- maybe even before the computer dies. (tell me that'll never happen)

I also have a powerbook running Live and Reason and a bunch of other stuff. Core audio and Midi are fantastic and so are some of the latest plug-ins etc. AUs seem to be more efficient to me than their vst counterparts. Things work faster and smoother in OSX for sure. I can't really sum it up perfect but look here if you haven't already been:

http://osxaudio.com/

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Age old question which I'm sure has been answered, to one's best ability, a fair few times on MacRumors Forums. Do a search ;)

However, just a quick summary to why I prefer OS X:

There are fewer kernal panics,
    I've never had any "type 1, 2 or 3" (memory) errors on OS X,
    Everything is brighter ;)
    More and more apps support it everyday - but that said enough support it already,
    It's a modern OS which feels rock solid.

I do think though, if your set up works for you.. keep it that way. I however am bored.. and cant wait until Tiger :D

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

You can upgrade to Logic 7!

And It feels more stable to me.

6. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

There's always the fact that OSX is the only one of the two that's still officially supported.

And I don't know how I ever lived without exposé (though you'll need 10.3 for it)

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Get the newest version you can. Perferably Panther (10.3). It runs fastest and is the most stable.

Anyway- OS X is a lot more stable than OS 9. And I mean a LOT. It's also supported by all the newest hardware- most companies no longer support OS 9.

It's also just really COOL :) And has a lot of nice features. REALLY good multitasking (Better than Windows), compared to the bad multitasking in OS 9. Really good memory management.

And you can use the latest version of Logic.

8. ct77 macrumors member

I went to an Apple seminar in Toronto for pro audio users, and while I myself am not a pro, I was certainly impressed.

Perhaps the following page will have information that is helpful:

http://www.apple.com/pro/musicaudio/