Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PHARAOHk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
I can't seem to find what kind or the limitations of the soundcard. I just got an echo indigo sound card (typeII cardbus) and it's pretty cool. The sound is a lot cleaner and more powerfull. It has a built in headphone amp that surely contributes to the enhanced sound. It can play 24bit 96khz sound output:D . Pretty cool item. I would just like to know how different the specs are for the internal.

(((k)))

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
As it stands the sound output from the 17 is the same as most other Macs, 16bit stereo output on a 1/8" stereo jack, most commonly used for headphones, it's NOT a line-level output apparently, which is why a dedicated card will sound better when connected to exterior systems, and it will not output raw 24bit or higher sample rate signals, they are down sampled for replay in the core audio systems, neither will it handle multi-channel audio for surround, obviously.

I use the Emagis 2/6 box for surround mixing out of Logic, and it's headphone driver sounds much better than the native board.

I think almost any decent 3rd party system will sound better.

PHARAOHk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
What kind of input latency do you get with that? Just wondering about the performance of usb interfaces. I really like that the echo isn't external so it is much easier to move around and with headphones I always get great sound.

(((k)))

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
The latency is fairly horrible under any USB interface that doesn't have a direct monitor through-put.

I use it for 5.1 mixing, any recording gets done on a ProTools HD rig:D

PHARAOHk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Wow that's a nice setup! I am taking some classes to get a protools certification so they reguire you to have LE and a protools interface. I got an Mbox (should arrive tomorow) I'll never understand why they diddn't choose firewire.

(((k)))

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Originally posted by PHARAOHk
Wow that's a nice setup! I am taking some classes to get a protools certification so they reguire you to have LE and a protools interface. I got an Mbox (should arrive tomorow) I'll never understand why they diddn't choose firewire.

(((k)))

I think they will eventually, although they have a lot invested in the PCI interfaces at present. Besides USB wirks well for stereo recording and output, it's only when you want multi input that things get a bit sticky. The Emagic 2/6 works fine as a 6 channel output under USB.

The M-box is also a neat protable solution, and at a really attractive price, we use them for location and live event recording to LE.

The HD rig runs 16 channels digitally into a Sony DMX R-100 console, which connects to the 5.1 rig, it means you can mix directly from the screen or use the desk to automate and mix, very flexible.

We have 5 Sony/HD rooms at the moment, they are excellent combinations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.