What are the specs on the new iMacG5 screens?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Falcon500, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Falcon500 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know the refresh rates and contrast ratio for the G5 iMac? I don't suppose that the 20 inch model uses the same screen as the 20 inch Cinema Display?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Look here for the specs on the display. Remember - LCDs don't have "refresh rates" per se - that's why Apple didn't publish one. If you compare those specs with the ones for the "regular" displays (found here), you'll notice that the displays in the iMac G5 aren't as good as the Cinema displays (lower brightness and contrast ratio). For some strange reason, Apple publishes pixel response time for the Cinema Displays but not for the iMac G5.

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

# Typical brightness: 200 cd/m (17-inch models); 230 cd/m (20-inch model)
    # Typical contrast ratio: 350:1

From here.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

they use the same screens as the previous generation apple cinema displays.

5. Falcon500 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry that was meant to be response time.. The latest apple cinema displays have a 16ms rating... Any ideas on the imac G5? If the 20inch model uses the old plastic frame 20in cinema display what were the response times on that model...?

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What are the specs on the LCDs of the Powerbooks? I've always wondered. I just want to see how pitiful the specs are, as my rev B 12" display is absolutely crap when there's sunlight, or any light. And don't say that all LCD's have this problem, because I'm aware that LCDs aren't as good in bright conditions as a CRT is, for example. But PowerBooks seem to use crappier displays than many of the LCDs used by other manufacturers, and the colours look washed out, the contrast isn't strong, the screen isn't bright, etc.

My 12" PB and the 12" iBooks probably have it worst of all the PB's. :(

Anyway, I just wanted to know the specs, but haven't been able to find them.

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Me too. This is something that has always bothered me. I've looked, but have never been able to find any specs for the PowerBook/iBook screens other than resolution. Everything else I've read is people's qualitative descriptions, but no hard numbers.

I would also like to know that response time on the iMac G5 20" screen if anyone can find the spec from the old cinema display.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Just checked the old Apple display page on The Wayback Machine, and Apple didn't post the pixel response times for their old displays, unfortunately.

9. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I wonder how bad they are then? I hate how Apple hides information from you. It doesn't really speak well for them when they aren't confident enough in the quality of their products to fully disclose the specs.