What Are The Steps To Set Up Data and Text Messages On An Unlocked iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beeinformed, Dec 13, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2010

I am a first-time iPhone user and would like to know how to set up data and text messaging on my unlocked iPhone 5? I would like to add that I will be using this phone on my T-Mobile plan.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/ideas to help me set this up! :)
  2. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    The phone will typically come with those enabled.

You have to get a sim from the carrier and sign up with one of their plans, after that it's pretty much automatic.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2010
    Are you sure the phone typically comes enabled with the data and text messaging as I have T-Mobile service and have read in an article that the setup is difficult to do on the T-Mobile network?
  4. macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2010
    You have been misinformed.
  5. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    U maybe getting feeback fr Grandpa. In the ole days of flip phones and the dawn of cellular data it was a little hairy back then yes.
  6. macrumors 6502

Dec 12, 2012
    Winnipeg,Canada/New Delhi India
    Pop the sim,make sure cellular data is turned on,you are good to go :cool:
  7. macrumors 6502

Oct 2, 2011
    MN, USA
    refer to the documentation on T-mobile web site

You will need to follow the instructions to set your APN etc by following T-mobile's instructions. Putting the sim card will allow phone and data (if you have a plan) and imessaging. For SMS and picture messaging you need to follow instructions outline on the t-mobile web site. I am not sure if web links are allowed but here is the link to T-mobile documentation for an iPhone.
  8. macrumors 603

Jun 30, 2008
    I know this is totally insane and probably won't work, but have you tried calling T-Mobile?
  9. macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2011
    That is insane.