What are these applications??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gregbenj, Sep 23, 2006.

1. gregbenj macrumors member

gregbenj

I went to Login Items under accounts and found that I am running, at login, some suspicious applications. They are: ExpanderDaemon (application) and SpeechSynthesisServer (application) Neither of these will spotlight...

What are these? and why are they running at login?

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

ExpanderDaemon is something to do with Stuffit if I remember correctly...I could be wrong.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep...ExpanderDaemon is related to Stuffit Expander and SpeechSynthesisServer is related to Apple's Speakable Items...do you have that turned on?

4. gregbenj thread starter macrumors member

gregbenj

I have speech greeting that welcomes me back after I have been away enabled for ichat....would that do it??

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't really know much of anything about it, but it certainly seems reasonable.

6. gregbenj thread starter macrumors member

gregbenj

thanks

but i have another question if you don't mind. It's relating back to the user login option in the sys prefs. I have Mail opening during login. I want the program to run, but I do not want the window opening. So I check 'hide' by Mail in the login options tab in accounts. Yet, when I log in, the window for mail still opens. any suggestions??

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's a bug that's been around for a while. Lots of people have griped about it, but for some reason Apple has never fixed it. There is an AppleScript workaround for it though.

Edit: Oops...the link in the blog post doesn't work. You can get HiddenMail here though. It says it's only for PPC machines...don't know if it would work on Intel machines or what you have.

8. gregbenj thread starter macrumors member

gregbenj

thanks! the link no longer works... but i'll try to hunt around for it

9. jkirsakmens macrumors newbie

According to
    http://triviaware.com/macprocess/all
    SpeechSynthesisServer.app is "Framework that provides a standardized method for Macintosh applications to generate synthesized speech." As this is bundled within Mac OS X you can assume that it is safe.