What are These Files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mileslong, Nov 19, 2005.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

i came across these files while searching my hard drive for hidden files.

i can not stand norton in any way shape or form. i have this program that finds all kinds of hidden files. i came across these four files that are taking up a bunch of space and so nothing that i know of. this program wont let me delete then however like it will other files. my questions are this"

1) do i need these files for anything
    2) does anyone know how to delete them? i cant even find them on my hard drive any other way. spotlight doesnt recognize them.

norton fs volume 137 mb
    norton fs volume 2 137 mb
    norton fs index 4 kb
    norton fs data 808 kb

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

If you have install something by norton, then yes, you probably do need them. If you deleted, or removed what every you installed, then no, you don't need them. You can use the Terminal to delete them usinig the rm (remove) command.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If rm doesn't work (and it might not, if you're not allowed to delete them from Finder), then "sudo rm -f" will definitely work (will require admin password).

4. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

thanks guys i will try that, i dont want anything remotely associated with norton on my system...

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Be very very careful when using sudo and rm.. if you typed it wrong, you could delete any file on accident!