What are these things?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GigaWire, Jan 24, 2004.

1. GigaWire macrumors 6502

What are these 4 dots in the bottom left corner of all finder windows?

Attached Files:

2. Maritan macrumors regular

It tells you that the finder is in the grid view, as opposed to details view and list view.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Actually that's 'Keep Arranged By'

The grid formatting icon looks like this....

D

Attached Files:

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hey i didnt know that, hehe personally i wouldnt have posted, i would have just clicked and found out hehe

but thanks for pointing it out

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I get the four squares icon in view / "as icons," but I don't see grid view. What's that? When I check view options with no window selected, I can make the desktop snap to grid, but I don't see the icon you showed as a result.

More to the point, what does it do differently in the finder window?

And semi-OT, which mode do people use most -- as icons, list, or columns? I always liked list mode from the old MacOS, although sometimes columns is handy.

On Windows though, I usually use small icons (list) and set it to open subsequent folders in the same window....

6. cubist macrumors 68020

I use list view all the time now.

I used to like icon view, but so few icons fit in a window, and it seems like they're always jumbled.

Might switch to column view, tho. Can you drag a file from the right-hand side and drop it on a different folder in one of the the middle columns?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, you can. I really like the way Finder implements popping up other folders if you try to put things into them... like if you put a folder in the left-hand tray, then if you drag something over to it and hold it there, it will temporarily open in a separate window and then let you sub-navigate, and then go away when it's finished with. Now if only there was a "/.." entry in the folder so you could use this trick to move to a folder up....:rolleyes:

8. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

9. GigaWire thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? What does yours do when you click on it, 'cause mine does nothing at all.