What are volumes?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Hungarianguy, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Hungarianguy macrumors member

Dec 25, 2004
    could someone please explain my what are the volumes (little disk drives on my desktop). how do they get created / materialized?

i'm asking since i installed the new msn messenger 5.0 and on my wifes profile for some reason the msn 4 volume opens up and somehow msn 4 trying to log on. but I thought I ereased all of the msn 4 on the computer

2. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    It sounds like you might have one or more DMG files (disk images) on your desktop... when you download MSN Messenger, it installs a DMG on the desktop. You're supposed to pull the MSN Messenger file out of it and install it into your Applications folder... but if you don't, the MSN Messenger program CAN run out of the DMG.

See if you can drag the DMG file to the Trash. You will need to make sure that no programs contained within the DMG file (such as MSN Messenger) are running in order to do this.
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Well, obviously, any hard drives, or hard drive partitions, [edit] or CD's, etc [/edit] will show up as volumes.

However, I suspect that you're looking at a mounted disk image, which comes from a file with a '.dmg' extension - double-click on those, and they appear to be mounted drives.

You can eject them (?-E) or click on the little "up arrows" next to them in the Finder Sidebar (the left side of a Finder window). However, if they keep popping up, they might be in your (or your wife's) startup items.

If you open [apple menu]->System Preferences...->Accounts, click on an account (yours or your wife's) and see if the DMG file, or anything "MSN-like", is listed there. If so, click on it to select it, then click on the box with the little '-' sign below.
  4. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    A volume is basically an area where you can store files. A hard drive is a volume, a CD is a volume, and a disk image is a volume. You can actually split a hard drive into multiple volumes, but that's a bit more advanced :)

Anyway, clay's suggestion is a good one. Make sure you've copied your apps out of the disk images and into your Applications folder.

By the way, you might want to try Adium.
  5. Hungarianguy thread starter macrumors member

Dec 25, 2004
    Thanks. I have removed this from her startup and now the volume does not pop up. It was really strange because i thought i ereases all the dmgs and still it was popping up. I wish i could have detected where the location that it was pointing to.