Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
use a microfiber cloth- I find the Oakley sunglasses ones are the best- lightly dampen part of it with distilled water, wipe and dry.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I've been using just a plain terry cloth towel and a little water for years with no issue. Every now and then I use Windex to get rid of grime and water again in the interim.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I just use the microfiber cloth that comes with the Macs. And if need be I will dampen part of it.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I've been using just a plain terry cloth towel and a little water for years with no issue. Every now and then I use Windex to get rid of grime and water again in the interim.

I have to say ... never use Windex on TV or Computer screens ... the computer screen maintenance rule #1 :cool:

Use microfiber cloth and water drop ... iKlear is also OK

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I have to say ... never use Windex on TV or Computer screens ... the computer screen maintenance rule #1 :cool:

Use microfiber cloth and water drop ... iKlear is also OK

I know the urban legend, but for me no issue on probably 10-15 different screens over the years basically everything except a plasma. Matte/glossy laptops, matte Dell LCDs, glossy Apple ACDs, no issue and still 10s.

I've never sprayed it on the display for fear of it leaking into the unit, instead spray it on the towel and wipe.

halledise

macrumors 68000
for all my Airs and MB's - all I've ever used is a:

CLEAN damp cloth (chux or sponge - either's fine)

followed by a

dry SOFT towelling to buff.

this works well for o/s, keyboard and screens :D

and is free.

ps - ensure machine is off especially when cleaning screen and ensure it's flush to a flat surface and be flippin' gentle

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Windex on a paper towel.

I just spray windex on the paper towel first then wipe. I clean my MBA, iPhone, iPad, and both 27inches with the same method.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Make-up removal pads I steal from the missus.

lg_cotton_wool_pads.jpg

If the stain is big, some water.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Windex on a paper towel.

I just spray windex on the paper towel first then wipe. I clean my MBA, iPhone, iPad, and both 27inches with the same method.

Windex is probably the worst thing you can use on a screen. You WILL kill your screen coating, I once fired my cleaning lady for Windexing my monitor. Also had her employer pay for a new screen.

I know the urban legend, but for me no issue on probably 10-15 different screens over the years basically everything except a plasma. Matte/glossy laptops, matte Dell LCDs, glossy Apple ACDs, no issue and still 10s.

I've never sprayed it on the display for fear of it leaking into the unit, instead spray it on the towel and wipe.

"Urban legend" my butt, try looking at a Windexed screen from an angle. Looks like junk. My screens, wether portable or stationary look pristine. I have a Dell LCD that has run 37K hours, looks like new. Also still have aforementioned Windexed screen, 2000 hours of use NEXT to the Dell, looks like balls.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Windex is probably the worst thing you can use on a screen. You WILL kill your screen coating, I once fired my cleaning lady for Windexing my monitor. Also had her employer pay for a new screen.

"Urban legend" my butt, try looking at a Windexed screen from an angle. Looks like junk. My screens, wether portable or stationary look pristine. I have a Dell LCD that has run 37K hours, looks like new. Also still have aforementioned Windexed screen, 2000 hours of use NEXT to the Dell, looks like balls.

You're just over-reacting, the monitors see Windex maybe twice a year.

If you would read, I mainly use cloth + water and Windex only when there's grime. Until Nov, I had some Dell 2405s (from 2005) that were cleaned like this and there was no coating degradation as they were still being used as we upgraded to 2410s.

If someone is super A and does it every day, then I can understand your argument.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Thats a myth that I used to buy into too until I tried it. I use it all the time and my screens are fine. Several times a week at least.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I bought a screen cleaning kit at Best Buy, which included a microfiber cloth and a 10 ounce spray bottle of a cleaner called Rocketfish. The kit was fairly expensive, a little more than $20.00, but I have had it for nearly a year and use it on my MBA, MBP, iPad, and iPhone. I suspect that it will last at least another year. I put the cloth through the washer and dryer once in awhile and it comes out looking like new.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
If the screen is glass the quickest way to clean it would be rubbing alcohol, some paper towels and a can of compressed air.

If it has a anti-glare coating, don't use the alcohol.

FYI, I use rubbing alcohol on everything including anti-glare screens and have never had anything get damaged(except for invisibleSHIELD protectors; it eats through those), I like living dangerously :D.

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
Windex is probably safe on things like the LED displays with glass, but not on the glass on the iPhone's for it will remove the oleophobic coating. And it isn't safe on anti-glare displays. I have an old Dell that I used to use Windex on and now it sparkles aka the coating was worn away by the Windex and now no colors are solid, but they are pixelated, because the surface of the screen has been ruined.

Anyways, iKlear is absolutely one of the safest and best things you can use on your screen no matter what type it is. And it acts as a polish so if you use it regularly it keeps the display smooth and I find that it repels dust for a few days. Also it is what Apple uses to clean the screens of all the computers in the Apple Stores

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.