Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Schumann Symphony 1 - Charles Munch - Living Stereo

Glorious even with just the Shure se215, believe me I own better.

Most of my listening is via Tidal, smartphone manufacturers have really upped their game with audio quality from headphone output.
[doublepost=1484759031][/doublepost]
Here's a recommendation!

We can all get jaded by something that has been heard too many times. In this instance, Beethoven's Fifth.

Try this one though; it will knock your socks and ears off.

Sadly it was Nikolaus Harnoncourt's last recording before he died last year. Hugely missed.

View attachment 683924

Glorious, using iPhone 5s with Apple Music and Shure se215. Tidal does not have this recording.

Between you and scepticalscribe I have found some nice goodies on this thread which I just began going through yesterday. Thanking you both.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Glorious, using iPhone 5s with Apple Music and Shure se215. Tidal does not have this recording.

Between you and scepticalscribe I have found some nice goodies on this thread which I just began going through yesterday. Thanking you both.
Thank you for the endorsement. There is so much wonderful music to discover… we live in a true golden age.
[doublepost=1484759402][/doublepost]
And Genesis: A classic, which I have long loved - (and perhaps, still strangely topical) - "Selling England By The Pound".
I'd definitely agree.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
61qm-OVnziL.jpg

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
"Black Hole Sun" covered by Ramin Djawadi and originally by Soundgarden. I just finished the "Westworld" pilot and got excited once I realized that's what the player piano was busting out.

Reactions: CE3

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Oh, I'm going to have to start taking notes. I'm always interested in more classical music.
Haha. :) I am always happy to lure people over to more classical music.

This is definitely where my Spotify subscription earns its keep — the freedom to "try before you buy" without having to guess from those 30 sec snippets you have on Amazon or iTunes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Some really fabulous Baroque noise to start my afternoon.
Rebel, Les Élémens…

Lovely, lovely, inventive music.

61FWEvkVe9L._SS500.jpg

Ah - I really love Baroque music; and am also rather partial to some Renaissance and medieval music.

Anyway, is this worth ordering (and no, I don't have Spotify) - or, rather, how would you describe it?

Gentle, soothing Baroque, - insanely wonderful Baroque (Soler's Fandango comes to mind), or masterly subtle an complex Baroque?

Oh, I'm going to have to start taking notes. I'm always interested in more classical music.

Yes, @arkitect - agreed, I'm with @mobilehaathi on this. Some note taking might just be in order.

Reactions: arkitect

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Ah - I really love Baroque music; and am also rather partial to some Renaissance and medieval music.

Anyway, is this worth ordering (and no, I don't have Spotify) - or, rather, how would you describe it?

Gentle, soothing Baroque, - insanely wonderful Baroque (Soler's Fandango comes to mind), or masterly subtle an complex Baroque?
Hmmmm… difficult to answer.

I hesitate to offer you a link, but here is the whole performance on Youtube.

Not soothing, not in a Pachelbel Canon way, at least.
The only Fandango I own is a harpsichord solo by Andreas Staier so hard to say.

It is very French, quirky, starts with a representation of Chaos… but before long there are birds tweeting, thunder rumbling.
On this particular disk there are also two decent works by Telemann and Gluck.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Haha. :) I am always happy to lure people over to more classical music.

This is definitely where my Spotify subscription earns its keep — the freedom to "try before you buy" without having to guess from those 30 sec snippets you have on Amazon or iTunes.

Most libraries in my parts have a pretty decent amount of classical recordings one can borrow. That is where I started before Stopify.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hmmmm… difficult to answer.

I hesitate to offer you a link, but here is the whole performance on Youtube.

Not soothing, not in a Pachelbel Canon way, at least.
The only Fandango I own is a harpsichord solo by Andreas Staier so hard to say.

It is very French, quirky, starts with a representation of Chaos… but before long there are birds tweeting, thunder rumbling.
On this particular disk there are also two decent works by Telemann and Gluck.

I think I may have the Andreas Staier CD - actually, if memory serves, it may have been a two CD set.

Classical music stations on the radio have also served as superb introductions to pieces, and composers, and artists, I might otherwise never have come across.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Every so often, someone from the wider culture of what is considered by some (though not by all - how American is Hawaii?- not least when a certain kid who once answered to the name of Barry Obama spent many - though not all - of his formative years there?) to be a part of the US hits that bittersweet note of heartbreaking authenticity in describing cultural annihilation and destruction.

So, - in reluctant salute to an unwelcome set of occurrences, or an unfortunate series of events, - to borrow a phrase - or title - from a writer (Lemony Snicket) whose work I like a lot - I am listening to the haunting music of the wonderful Hawai'ian artist, composer, singer, songwriter, and musician, - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole; Listen to "Hawai'i '78", and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" and I defy you, I dare you, not to want to weep.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.