what are you looking for in your next computer?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Jun 6, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i will be looking for laptops, mac and pc, that have burners, are light, and have good battery time

on the rev a ibook and same era pc laptop i got in '99, my concern then was low price, speed, and hard drive space
  2. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i'm waiting for the next PowerBook revisions... for me there is no other option than notebook. and also the fact that i relate desktops to PC's... leading to bad memories best forgotten.:p

my top priority features will be SuperDrive and at least 60GB HD and 512MB RAM. battery time doesn't really worry me because i'm almost always never away from power for 2 hours.

i'll also be checking whether i can use an AirPort card to get wireless internet from my PC... but that's a whole other thread. ;) :)
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Re: what are you looking for in your next computer?

Speed - for video and 3D rendering. They don't really make a machine fast enough yet and I probably won't get one that I'd be happy with for another 5 years at least.

But the promise of the new 970s is quite nice and it will last me for quite a while.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
  5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    One of the below:

PowerMac G5(PPC970) Dual 1.6Ghz
    - PCI extreme (faster than AGP)
    - 512 DDR 400 RAM
    - 120GB serial ATA HD
    - 128MB Radeon 9600pro graphics
    - DVD writer
    - Firewire 800
    - USB 2
    - AE and bluetooth

PowerBook G5(PPC970) Single 1.6Ghz
    - 128MB Radeon 9600M graphics
    - 15in screen
    - 60GB HD
    - 512MB DDR400 RAM
    - DVD writer
    - Firewire 800
    - USB 2
    - AE and bluetooth

By the way these are what I EXPECT Apple to release based on rumors.
  6. boxcar macrumors newbie

May 16, 2003
    12 in powerbook with l3 cache, and higher expandibility (esp RAM)

and the 970
  7. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

May 1, 2003
    I want a high end tower to do video and 3D rendering, right now FCP is soo slow on my G4 800. That, or a render farm akin to Pixar, which from my understanding runs linux on Sun servers (or used to anyway).
  8. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Exactly! Up to 1024 mb RAM, L3 cache, and a DVI out instead of VGA. Better battery life would be nice too, but battery technology seems to be lagging. I'd also like it to have a spigot that dispenses hot coffee, or juice, depending.:D
  9. Golem macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2003
    Big screen for reading
    Small Size for the month or so I spend on the road a year.
    Able to play games a little bit better than my current 800 tower.

Somewhat contradictory I would agree:)

But the reality is if the 12'' pbook had the same processor,cache and graphics card as the 17'' and DVI out I would have brought one last month +bluetooth card+dvi to adc adaptor.
  10. iShater macrumors 604

Aug 13, 2002
    Since I got my iBook, my notebook needs are met, more power would be nice, but I don't need it.

However, I do need a new desktop machines, for iMovie and gaming and the comfort of a bigger monitor and keyboard. My PCs are aging, and I don't feel like building another PC for a while (maybe if I get back into gaming and I am desperate for it), so I am looking forward to a new PowerMac that is competitive with PC offerings in terms of performance/price ratio.

[edit] Oh yeah, and a SuperDrive in it! :D [/edit]
  11. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    - a cheap B&W G3 tower that I can use as an expandable fileserver (I dropped the idea of using a se/30, SCSI-HDs are too expensive for me... even though the style factor would be exceptionally high with the se/30!).

- hmm, maybe a Newton 2100??? I want to have one but I know I would rarely use it...

I don't know, most of the time I just check out stuff on eBay but in the end don't buy any of it, reason wins nowadays...

12. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I'm looking for mobility. I don't use a laptop. The newest laptop I have access to is a Powerbook 165 (sad, I know), because another member of the family is using the Wallstreet G3 (not that I'd look forward to running Jaguar on that).

While I wish I had enough cash for a nice Powerbook (post next revision, of course), I don't. So I'm looking for the next iBook revision (I hope it's "GOBI" or better!) a few months down the line.
  13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I'm looking for a 12" iBook or PB, but I want to wait to see what happens, since I don't need it for a while. I want to see the 970 in Apple computers, and then take a look at how the iBook and PB lineup changes.

If iBook only gets bumped to 1GHz next revision, I'll do several things: (1) I'll cry. (2) I'll consider buying the 12" PB. (3) If both the 12" iBook and PB only get bumped to 1GHz, I'll cry some more, but I'll probably just settle for the iBook.

Oh, and hopefully the RAM can be maxed out at 1024MB. I don't care about APEx anyway, since I personally don't see the need for it (it would be nice, though ;)), and I don't need bluetooth, but that's something hope it comes with anyway. So 1024MB RAM max, FW 800, bluetooth, and a better keyboard for the iBook. The 12" PB keyboard feels much more solid, in my opinion.
  14. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    Well, my next mac will be a powerbook. What I want with my new powerbook is....More Ghz...Faster Hardrive....DDR 3330 (Or whatever it's called)...and a lower price...and a nontitanium 15inch powerbook...(which is gonna come out this month);)
  15. Cubeboy macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2003
    Bridgewater NJ
    A dual 1.8 GHz PPC970 workstation with Radeon 9800/9900 pro video card, 2 gigs of Dual Channel DDR400/Quad Channel PC1200 RDRAM, a nice 21" flat plasma screen moniter, a hugely expensive sound system that will be completely not worth the price of purchase, and of course a 64 bit version of Panther that can be programed to pour me drinks in cool frosty mugs. Oh yeah, and the case has to be huge and particularly awe-strucking to strike fear into the hearts of pc users everywhere.:D :p
  16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    faster ibooks... say a 1.2 Ghz Gobi processor with altivec and a 200 mhz bus. yeah, that'd do it. :)
  17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I need a nearly free, nearly indestructable, nearly weightless, nearly infinite-speed notebook Mac for a dorm room. I'll settle for a speedbumped iBook.
  18. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    Bang per Buck

I want to pay top dollar for top tecnology, I don't want to have to think of 1000 crappy little reasons for why my Mac might be considered top of the pile technology. If Apple can deliver the goods, I can hand over the cash.
  19. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

Jun 21, 2002
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    I want her to clean the house and do the dishes. She needs to execute my orders in a timely manner and take whatever device I put in her. She certainly doesn't need to be a dually, but I wont complain if she is.

Happy Friday!
  20. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    i'm almost ready to upgrade my desktop. it's only a year and a half old, but if the 970's do come out, i will wait until rev b and give my quicksilver to my folks.

i'm doing much more animation and more compositing now, and i'd love to get faster renders. i think i'll be okay for another year (if i have to), but then it'll be time to upgrade.

other things i'm looking for:
    usb 2
    5.1 audio
    better handwriting/speech recognition
  21. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    I want a computer so good it must be used for evil. I want to walk out of Apple SoHo with a golden aura. I want anti-gravity bluetooth. I want a computer that chases squirrels and steals your picnic lunch. I want a computer that gets bored while I'm at work and prank-calls Microsoft tech support. I want WiFi control over my coffee maker. And my roommate. And the cat. I want the ability to hijack passing iPods. I want a computer that reduces fat while locking in savory chicken flavor. I want four on the floor and a fuzzy 970 chip hanging from the rearview. I want an Airport station that cleans my laundry with sonic waves. I want a keyboard with gold teeth. I want fries with that.
  22. toughboy macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Izmir, Turkey
    I want a 15" PB...

I'm not quite sure about when to buy, I'm still short of some $$$... I was planing to buy a iBook, and it was a easy-shot, but as I saw a 12" pc notebook, I just understood that I cant do without something big!.. :p so I want a 15" notebook, and PBs have low prices nowadays..

970s do not confuse my mind, 'cause I dont have the exact money right now.. :D though they may help me buy a 15" G4 PB as their prices will decrease when 970s will release...

etc etc...
  23. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    even though i'm mainly waiting for the next revisions of the 15" PowerBook, if the 12" had L3 cache and a max of 1GB RAM, then i would seriously consider purchasing it and using a dual-monitor setup whenever i'm at home.
  24. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    Add in a 15.2" screen instead, backlit keyboard, faster DVD burner and a bigger hard drive and I agree with you :)