What are you planning for Dear Old Dad?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Father's Day is approaching. What do you plan to give your dad or do for your dad on Sunday?

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Well, he just recently fell in love with itunes, and he also just recently got me a credit card.

So I put 2 and 2 together and decided to get him a gift certificate to the itunes music store. :)

3. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Giving him a gift that he paid for with his money.

Genius.

4. Lau Guest

I bought him a big old piece of cheese. It's a nice bit of mature cheddar that's been matured for 18 months. Mmm, cheese.

5. efoto macrumors 68030

Mom missed out and dad will too sadly. Working in France has its hardships like missing parent's days. However, on a saving note for myself, they did miss my birthday while I was here too, and I argue that is the higher offense seeing I was born and these are merely Hallmark holidays.

I called mom, will do the same and give dad a call today. Early is better than late or never.

The three of us are doing something when I get home (in July) that celebrates my birthday, mother's day, and father's day all together. None of us are picky, so a joint celebration of dinner and desert is all we require :)

6. iGary Guest

iGary

My dad's birthday and father's day are a day apart.

I framed and mounted a picture I took in Key West last year (16X20) and sent it down to Georgia with a card.

He has everything; hand-made stuff, expecially my pictures seem to thrill him the most, as he was a photographer in high school and college. I'll also call him on Sunday. :D

7. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

One of the Think Different posters with Einstein on it.

He is a Mac nut, and loves Einstein (in a platonic way).

and he doesn't know I have the Think Different posters either.
    I've kept that a secret so he will be doubly surprised that I'm parting with one.

Edit: loves, not love

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

My dad and I will exchange a conversation on the phone and I've sent him a card. Father's Day has never been a huge event in our family (I didn't even get a card from them on my first Father's Day).

9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I'd like my kids to give me a classic "Think different" apple poster, but for the time they know about these, they will be using a G15 or above :),
    maybe they will get the poster from me first, I have the einstein, love it! BTW, I'll phone my dad, he's at the other side of this planet... Hi dad! ;)

10. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

My dad is getting theWahl Clipper/Trimmer

He gets his hair buzzed frequently at the barbers, now he can do it himself.

11. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Dad prefers "adventures" to "items" so we'll pick an interesting restaurant to take him to, such as one with an unusual menu, location, or theme. It's often the same thing for Mother's Day, since Mom has the same preference, so they actually get two adventures each in the Parent's Day season.

Silly home-made Father's Day cards are also a tradition in our family, so I'll be working on inventing an appropriately corny joke, combining it with suitable clipart, and printing it to go with the restaurant invitation. It's part of the tradition that all of the homemade cards over the years have said "Q Cards, Inc." on the back, each with a dopey slogan like "Now with less carbohydrates!". (Don't tell anyone, but I never really bothered to incorporate.)

12. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

My Dad is getting a card from a local department store (what do you get a guy who has everything??). Dad-in-law is getting a magazine subscription.

I got two shirts (on sale $7 each) and a pair of shorts (10 bucks). I'm happy with my gift. :)

13. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

My brother and I got our dad an electric edger for his yard.

He always comments how he loves the result on his friend's yards.

14. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I have a 15lb butcher cut brisket, 4lbs of Rib Eye and 4lbs of NY steak, dry aging in the walk-in fridge at my parents factory. picking up a leg o lamb on sat, and another $80 of assorted food stuffs also waiting in the fridge.

15. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Um, he doesn't pay for my credit card. He just got it for me.

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Well since the fire I can get them about anything. I have recently introduced him to HDTV. They bought this 65" HD TV and watching crappy analog tv on it. I might go down to Cox and turn on their HD channels so he can watch JAG and NCIS the way it was meant to be. Probably also get him his Band of Brothers DVD set that he lost in the fire as well.

jon

17. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Ever notice that nobody gives their dad cash? That's what a lot of kids get from Dad, who can't be bothered to shop or keep track of what the kids are interested in -- or can't make sense out of the strange words on their wishlists! :D

I never like giving/getting cash. Given the choice between giving somebody cash and giving somebody something that might or might not be just what they want, I choose the latter. Does that mean that I'd be mean and give a toaster to a wedding couple who only asked for help buying a mortgage? Yeah, probably. But I'd at least make it a returnable toaster.

18. emw macrumors G4

emw

Bravo to you - the best gift is showing him that you notice things like that. You'd be surprised how important that can be.

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

Talked to my dad last night - my mom is visiting relatives so he's going to come up to our house tomorrow. I'm looking forward to spending time with him - we usually don't see each other on Father's Day, so it will be nice.

He's an astronomy buff, so I think he's really coming just to see my new telescope... :p :D

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My Dad passed away in 1975.

We will call my wife's Dad on the phone tomorrow. At 87 he already has everything that he needs. Think that he enjoys a phone call, since he lives in Maryland.

21. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm sorry you don't have your own dad around, but I imagine that you've known your wife's family so long that they are as much family to you as your blood relatives.

I don't believe people ever "have everything they need" since we all need food, air, sleep, friendship, intellectual stimulation, entertainment, etc. That's why visiting somebody, calling somebody, taking somebody out somewhere, sending them a book, or even e-mailing them just to say "hi" can still give them something they need.

22. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

A new suit -- we decided he ought to have two.

23. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

unfortunately my dad has to attend his mothers funeral on fathers day

as do I

:(

24. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I'm going to give him a call. Not sure what I am going to get/have done for me tomorrow though. For a while it looked like I would have to go into work (make up time I took off to see the president, and go to my wife's aunt's viewing/funeral, and taking the wife to various doctors appointments (she's okay. Mostly it was blood work and physicals and checkups))

Right now the only thing on the books is making cookies for the firehall fathers day dinner and picking my son up from scouts.

Maybe we'll see Batman at the drive-in. (Double feature with the Longest Yard)

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope that your wife is alright MongoTheGeek?

That sounds like a very honorable thing to do on Father's Day. Is it a function for Firefighter's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.