What are you planning to do on 9/11?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Last year during all the craziness I remember standing up on my office building's roof watching the Pentagon burn - it was a clear view, only a few miles away, absolutely lovely cloudless sky, 75-80 degrees.

I keep thinking about that lately and images seen on tv from NYC. I'd like to do something on Wednesday this next week, even if its to stop what ever I'm doing that morning and say a silent prayer for all that has happened since and hope we never have to go through it again.

But I'm curious if anyone esle is doing something special, taking part in a scheduled event, going to Ground Zero, or like me, doing something a little more personal.

2. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit

I'm not planning anything out of the ordinary.

I'm going to church on the 8th. But I go to church every Sunday anyways.

I'm sure my school will have a moment of silence first thing in the morning.

Other than that...

I'll probably just reflect and pray privately. No need for anything else.

3. Shrek macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2002
    Nashville, Tennessee USA
    Whatever my church is doing, that's where I'll be. ;)
  4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Last year, an announcement came over the PA system, straight from the principal, saying that the World Trade Center has been attacked. I was in room 101, with a nearby radio. For two whole periods the entire class was either silenced or motionless trying to listen to the radio. I was rather scared when I heard that one of the towers fell. I was even more like "The world's gonna end" when the second tower fell. Even worse, the entire building (PHHS) was affected by this, and a few kids panicked.

When I saw both towers fall indiv. and the plane crash I, again, held my tongue. This year, I am making the assumptions (very reasonable ones) that the USA has already thought of every single possibility that terror would strike again a full 365 days later, and has a protection for each. I am also assuming that all of these wierd rumors are (a) mostly spam and (b) are being monitored in force.

If I have class on 9/11 this year I think it will be a rather slow day. Again, there will be a radio nearby to listen to for over an hour, in case anything happens. If class is cancelled, I probably will be paying attention to the radio and/or searching news sites to make sure nothing has happened yet. Finally, I plan to place an American flag on my desktop for that day and (if weather provides) let the computer be in sleep mode, so it can wake right up to display it's patriotism. :)
  5. sevag1 macrumors member

Jul 16, 2001
    well for one thing, my school is going to do this thing where every student in the school has to plant a miniature flag in our football field... and i think we're also doing a food drive
  6. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Last year my school was a bit slow to realise what happened.

When it happened, I was in second period track. We had just finished our warm-up lap when our coaches told us that we should have a moment of silence and prayer.

No one really knew what had happened. No one told us.

Even when we returned to the building, rumors were flying. However there was no announcement, nothing. Had there been no rumors, it would have been just a regular day.

Everyone knew that the principal kept a radio in his office, but he made no announcement. Everything that was discussed was pure speculation.

It was not until a student who had just returned from a doctor's appointment came back to school that everyone knew what happened. He had watched the whole thing while waiting in the doctor's office.

In my fourth and final period of the day, my entire class simply talked. Class was forgotten as my teacher tried to call her family. (She is from Jersey.)

Even though I had an English essay due the next day, I was glued to the TV in our hotel. (We had just moved back to the States; we were actually moving into our new house on September 11th.)

The next day, the prinicpal came on the PA system to tell us that the attacks happened.

Yep. That's what happened to me on Sept. 11th. I was not directly affected by the loss of a loved one, so at first the whole day seemed sort of surreal to me.

Ah well. I'll end this long-winded post.
  7. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I will go to work. i will be watching a few multicast streams probably. The University where I work is having a memorial ceremony for the alumni who died, i will probably go to that.
  8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    going to go to school, learn some stuff, go home, do homework, eat, sleep, repeat :D
  9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    i was sleeping as i usually did on tuesdays last year. i woke up and got on my computer at around 10 or so. i checked my email.... one of which says "i see some bad things in nyc right now, are you ok?" i reply "yeah, why not? living in harlem was rough, but i'm fine...." that type of thing...

then i see another email, this from my brother "turn on the tv. the freaking wtc is down. it's not there anymore..." or something to that extent

at that point i turn on the tv. and of course, every channel's on it. i see the smoke the planes going in, etc. oh man. my roommate arrives shortly after saying classes are cancelled and such. i try to talk to my girlfriend. eventually i get a hold of her. her brother and dad worked in the area. she's trying to talk to them. a few hours later she hears from both. they're fine.

around 3 pm i make my way downtown with my roommate. we get as close as we can to the scene (about 15 clocks away at that point) and take some pictures. we see ash all over. covering cars and everything. we see trucks bringing people out (alive, seemingly not badly injured). tons of cops. tons of emergency vehicles. everyone looking down the streets that once led to the wtc in the skyline to see nothing...

the school has some ceremonies and stuff going on. i don't think i'd go downtown... but maybe i'll get up early (class at 11) and check it out on tv and such. i'll also check out whatever the school might have going when i can.... got classes all day though.. certainly will say a prayer for those affected more personally than me. as well as a prayer for the future that we learn from this and change many many things.

my view walking towards it...

Attached Files:

• wtc4.jpg
      File size:
      33.5 KB
  10. SilvorX macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    i have 2 tests (in a row) on the 11th :( one in law and one in math...
  11. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    Yikes, that is truly disturbing.

I'll be going about my business as usual on 9/11. I may watch an hour or two of coverage but I got more then my fill of TV coverage the weeks following the attacks.
  12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    My university cancelled classes and closed dow campus for the day last year...quite scary to see the campus evacuate like that.

Whatever you do, wherever you'll be, take a moment to consider the awful loss of life that day. Humanity, as a whole, was scarred deeply. It's a cliché, but let's hope that humanity's darkest hour will bring about a new light: understanding and compassion.
  13. j763 macrumors 6502a

Nov 25, 2001
    Champaign, IL, USA
    ...and change in the US. 9/11 had a cause... and it certainly wasn't envy.
  14. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I'll probably silently remember it but I'm here in Australia and it didn't affect me as much as some of you here so yeah...incidentally, the day it happened, the sky in Sydney was reaaly dark and cloudy..kinda reflected the mood...
  15. bidge macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    New Zealand
    I live in Christchurch, New Zealand i had just finished practicing the piano (I get up at 5.20) and my Grandma called telling me that she'd been listening to it all night and that the World Trade Centre had collapsed.

At school we all went to Chapel and prayed for everyone and then worked on convincing the teachers to let us watch it. We managed to watch TV in a few classes. in physics we had an aerial sticking out the window with someone holding it up half of the time and we only just getting a signal.

This 9/11 I will pray personally for last years attacks, pray for the people and pray for it never to happen again
  16. irmongoose macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    I'll be at school, but throughout the whole day I will be praying that nothing happens in New York... my sister has gone to Pace Univestity to study... (BTW, Pace is so close to the WTC that is was a Refuge Center on 9/11). Then I'll come back home and watch the TV specials. The Japanese media is already so crazy about it.. it's like they were a colony of the US or something :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

17. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    I was woken up by the non-stop sirens coming from the hospital across the street. They didnt stop for 12 days. My roomate and I have late classes and at 9:15ish the sirens woke us both up and would not stop. So we got up. My roomate went in the shower and I was drinking my coffee listening to some music to drown out the sirens...we were pissed off.

Then his dad called. "Are you guys ok?"

yeah why?

so I turned on the tv and was in shock....went onto the roof (i was on the top floor) and saw them on fire.

I had a doctor's appointment and so I got ready and left. I was one of the only people walking downtown that day...since the health center is farther downtown then my apt.

I saw the towers falling down as I was walking downtown, everyone looked at me like I was crazy because I was going the wrong way.

The armory is 3 blockas away...the army was there...and all around everywhere near my home. I saw them covered in ash and talking about it and such when I'd go to popeye's or whatever for weeksd to come...

I'm going to class this year. First work, then class. That covers most of the day. I'll reflect to myself most of the day no doubt...a lot of bad stuff has happened since then, but so has a lot of good. the University is doing some stuff...but I wont/cant go. My own thing/....own thoughts and reflections, that is where I will be. I will do what I need to do, and make it as much of a "normal" day as I can...it'll be a rough day here..
  18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    agreed. things need to change to prevent this from happening again, both with security, but primarily with why people want to do this to the country...

yeah, we had classes cancelled last year. obviously. but it was for the entire week.

the day after (wednesday the 12th) i went to hoboken (for those who aren't familiar, it's right across the hudson river in new jersey) to a concert. the band (sense field) had decided to play an acoustic show without their drummer who was from long island and was taking care of family matters... the show helped pick me up and it was truly great timing in that the band's positive, hopeful lyrics were just what everyone really needed. i'm glad i decided to go...
  19. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Hopefully I'll be working at a new job. I just can't believe it's been a year already. :(
  20. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    I will be at school like normal, but it will be a wierd day. I will probably watch TV for a while and get sick of it. I can't believe its been a year.
  21. JupiterZen macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Reality Maingrid 23 Subjunction 42A
    Re: What are you planning to do on 9/11?

Maybe a flight to New York ... :cool: ... never been there before.

I hear they are practically giving the tickets away because everybody seems to be supersticious ... :rolleyes: :D
  22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    yeah, i can imagine that in general, flights will be pretty slow/empty on wednesday....

with some good reason...... i think
  23. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    I'll be avoiding any and all media.

As much as I have sympathy for everyone involved, I feel that all the rhetoric is rather oppertunistic and distasteful. A somber look back I can deal with but the hawkish propoganda that has dominated all year raises my hackles.

It is a dis-service to those killed in NY and to those who were (and are) exploited worldwide by Al Qaida to be out stirring up war sentiment when compassion is a far better weapon. Emancipating and educating the peasants that are so easily made into Zealots is the only long-term solution that doesn't involve Genocide ......... which I hope nobody is actually considering as an option.

Anyway... I'm going to be forcibly ignoring the media and enjoying the county fair with my wife. My tribute is in enjoying life while I can.
  24. ejb190 macrumors 65816

I fully agree with you, mischief.

While we tend to live our lives as strangers and acquantinces, it takes an event like 9/11 to make us realize we are not all that different from each other. And with a little effort we become neighbors and friends. In the weeks following, people seemed nicer, more civil. You still hear stories of people giving selflessly of themselves to help others. Why should it stop now? Now that we are past a national emergency, are we going to go back to our own little worlds of isolation and being afrade of strangers?

I choose to remember 9/11 by dedicating myself to going out of my way to someone else once in a while. It might be helping someone in trouble or getting flowers for my secretary. Maybe even just a kind word. I want to remember by breaking out of my little box I have been living in and meet new people, do things I haven't done, and be the person the everyone has always told me I could be. I choose to remember 9/11 by not letting the world (or myself) go back to the way it was before.