What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly, Jan 14, 2005.

1. slightly macrumors regular

slightly

I have a few $ to spend at Amazon (gift certificate), and I'll probably end up getting books, so I was curious: what are you all reading right now (for fun). If you could add a one-line summary, and whether or not you're enjoying it, that would be useful.

Thanks!

matt

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Just finished Fahrenheit 451, great book. Really understand why Bradbury is suing Moore. If Moore read it, he must not have gotten it.

I am about to start Myth Alliances by Robert Asprin. It should be fun.

3. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Right now I'm reading Sahara. It was a gift that I wasnt too thrilled about getting, but once I started reading it, I got hooked. Not exactly a classic, but entertaining. Somewhat Indiana Jones like, with a little high-tech thrown in as well. The movie should be out soon, starring Mathew McConnahay (spelling?).

Before Sahara, I read a biography of Walt Disney. Wow. Its pretty amazing to read about his life. I would highly recommend it. Funny, I can't remember the exact name of it at the moment, but I'll find out and let you know. It was so good, I just might read it again after Sahara.

I'm curious to watch this thread, because I was just today beginning to make a list of must-read books for this year. :D

4. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

uh this thread.... :rolleyes:

in the way of books;
    - Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy Series
    - Discworld Series (only about 6 of them)
    - Adobe InDesign CS book
    - Book On Making Wine.

5. lordmac macrumors regular

Ender's game

I just finished rereading a couple of the books from the ender's shadow series. Shadow of the hegemon(spelling?) and Shadow Puppets, are the 2 i just reread or I should say re-listened to and they are great books in fact the whole series is great. If you like Science fiction then read this, its about how these children who are super-smart are sent to school to learn how to be commander's. The object of this school is fined commander who can help to defeat the formics a race of seemingly violent aliens whom the humans have just barley beaten before twice. So this time humans have united to be ready for the next time the formics attack.
    Thats the plot to the first book anyway and the rest sort of derive from it. I know there are other fan's of it on mac rumors as I have seen quotes from the books show up in sigs. :)

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

State of Fear by Michael Crichton was pretty good... just finished that earlier this week. Also any of Stephen Baxter's more recent novels... Manifold: Time, Manifold: Space, Manifold: Origin, or his collaboration with Sir Arthur C. Clarke, The Light of Other Days.

7. HowieBerry macrumors newbie

HowieBerry

I'm currently reading Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh.

8. wwidgirl macrumors member

wwidgirl

books

A fine balance- by rohinton mistry. about people living in india. captivating. seriously a great read. not a hard read.

da vinci code- this book has probably already been hyped to death but it's a mystery and kept me interested.

I capture the castle - a book about a girl living in a old run down castle with her weird family... about how bad things happen sometimes so we appreciate the good things more.

Atlas shrugged- ayn rand. capitalism to the max.

Ender's game - most of the series is good. orson scott card is a great author.

A curious thing happened to a dog..... oh crud i forget the title of this book. it's about an autistic boy. I read it very recently and it was great.

Maus I and Maus II- a graphic novel about the holocaust.

9. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Oh, please do yourself a favor and read the original Ender's Game series if you haven't already. The true sequel to Ender's Game is Speaker for the Dead. Then Xenocide and Children of the Mind complete the series. The reason they are now calling Ender's Game - Ender's Shadow - Shadow of the Hegemon - Shadow Puppets - Shadow of the Giant (in March) a series is because they fit together chronologically and have the same characters. But in my opinion, the original series is much better written and just more interesting (although it got a little bizarre at the end of Children of the Mind). Then after you read those four books, you could read the Shadow series, but it's not as good really.

Anyway, if you want a very good book to read or if you have any interest in American art, read Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut (not his most famous book, but my favorite). Right now I'm reading Stories of Eva Luna by Isabel Allende, the author of my all-time favorite book, House of Spirits. You can't go wrong with any of those titles.

10. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

You know, I've always enjoyed Crichton's fiction and have read every one of his novels up until State of Fear. And honestly, his politics are so stupid I don't know if I could handle it. I also think his novels have kind of gone downhill since Lost World (although I liked Prey). If anyone cares, here what I think of his work so far:

The Andromeda Strain - Okay
    The Great Train Robbery - Very good
    The Terminal Man - Pretty bad
    Eaters of the Dead - Pretty good
    Congo - Very good
    Sphere - Very good
    Jurassic Park - Great
    Rising Sun - Very good
    Disclosure - Great
    The Lost World - Great
    Airframe - Okay
    Timeline - Okay
    Prey - Pretty good
    State of Fear - ?

11. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Recently finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. An amazing beast of a book. Set in 19th-Century Britain and written rather like a 19th-Century novel or historical account, it tells the story of a fantastic Britain deeply mired in magic that has mostly fallen by the wayside in the scientific era of the Enlightenment but is partially revived by two aristocratic rivals. It is an incredibly imaginative book.

12. northen macrumors member

northen

Stephen King - The Tommyknockers

Pretty good litterature, except it's very odd in places. I by far prefer `The Shining` by the same author.

13. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I've got a couple of books going at the moment:

1919 by John Dos Passos (part of the U.S.A. Trilogy)
    The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer

Recent, recommended reads:

A Man In Full by Tom Wolfe
    The System of the World by Neal Stephenson (part of The Baroque Cycle)
    My Dark Places by James Ellroy

14. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. One of my college profs 15 years ago told me he thought it was the best book written in English since World War II. I probably prefer One Hundred Years of Solitude (Garcia-Marquez) but Midnight's Children is an incredible piece of work.

edit-- posting too early in the morning-- One Hundred Yrs of Solitiude was written (originally) in Spanish-- whoops

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Another vote for "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' which I'm reading at home.

Tube book is alternating between the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (would advise not starting since we're at book 10, book 11 due out later this year and no sign of finishing. They are quite fun fantasy books tho they take quite a few aspects from other books/genres) and the John Simpson autobiographies which are basically his take on most of the major world events in the late 20th century. He was a BBC reporter and reported from Iran/Iraq/Tianeman Square/Bosnia/South Africa/Berlin Wall falling amongst many others. But he assumes you have some idea of the event and talks more about the struggles to get around these cities, the local people he met and talked to. He's written 3 sets now - I find them all fascinating

16. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

Rocket Boys

Rocket Boys is the story that inspired the movie "October Sky". It's about a young boy who learns to make rockets in the coal-rich mountains of West Virginia, and goes on to work for NASA. VERY GOOD!

Of course there's always To Kill A Mockingbird if your looking for something good to read (as well).

17. 3Memos macrumors 6502

I'm listening to Bill Clinton's My Life audiobook. Does that count?

18. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

19. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I've been having trouble getting into any books ever since I bought my pb last may. last book I finished was Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore, a clever vampire comedy drama which I really enjoyed. :D

I've recently started Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz and Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates by Tom Robbins but like I said I can't really get into them. :eek:

20. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Trvales with Charley: In Search of America - John Steinbeck. I haven't started reading it yet, but I heard it was a very good book.

21. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

22. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett.

An excelent book. Part of the Discworld series. If you have never heard of the discworld series, it has over 30 "main" books and a whole bunch of little spin-offs (cookbooks, maps, etc...).

23. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I tend not to buy that many books these days, unless it's something I think I'll go back and re-read again in the future; otherwise, I usually just wait for the book to show up at the library and check it out then. So I'm trying to think of the books that I own and that I seem to go back and re-read at least once a year.

Having said that, a few that come to mind (some of which have already been mentioned) are:
    • To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
    • Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card
    • Microserfs, by Douglas Coupland
    • Lord of the Flies, by William Golding
    • As I Lay Dying, by William Faulkner
    • Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis
    • Animal Farm, by George Orwell

24. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

im currently reading Latter Days by C. Jay Cox

the movie is really good too!

25. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Probably a bit boring to you guys, but I haven't read it yet... I'm reading The Illearth War (Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, first trilogy, book 2, Stephen Donaldson). They're love it or hate it books with many people. I enjoyed it so far.