Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Original poster
I know this has been done, but it's been awhile.

What are you reading now? ...or have read in recent months?

I've just finished My Father the Spy. A good biography of a CIA operative born in 1913, written by his son, John Richardson.

Also re-read Lamb by Christopher Moore. GREAT BOOK!!! I'll read it once a year at least. My most highly recommended book, ever.

On Moore's suggestion, read The Master and Maguerita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Written by a post-revoltionary artist/author in Russia, but not published until well after his death.

Also read The Book of Bebb, a series of four novels by one of my favourite authors/theologians, Frederick Buechner.

Also reading text books for my Masters of Arts in Teaching classes...boring!

No replies saying "right now I'm reading MacRumors!"

Oh, yeah, never read Confederacy of the Dunces, so I'm grabbing that next.

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
2001: A Space Odyssey. I just pick books by random in the library. I want to read a history book next. Does anybody have any suggestions?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
George Carlin - Napalm and Silly Putty

I rarley read on my own, but when I do, it's gotta be something that can actually keep me interested. A typical novel just doesn't do that.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Web Design books for my classes. Don't Make Me Think by Steve Krug and Web Redesign 2.0 by two women I can't remember the names of right now.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I've just finished Terry Pratchet's Reaper Man and I'm about to start on Soul Music.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Gilgamesh for English class.
I'm diggin' it.

other than that, I don't really have a lot of time to read right now, and I can't find things that interest me.

I want to grab "Freakonomics" though.
LOOKS SO COOL!!!!

stoid

macrumors 601
Star by Star (New Jedi Order) - Troy Denning
Caves of Steel - Isaac Asimov
The Silmarillion - Tolkien

Maybe if I'd just read one, and put down the other two, I could finish it, but I'm just enjoying them all so much!

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
dietcokevanilla said:
this thread!!

As soon as I saw this thread, I knew someone was going to say it. It was only a matter of time, and not very much time at that. :D

I guess I should put down what I'm reading. I just finished Through a Glass, Darkly by Jostein Gaarder (he wrote Sophie's World if you've heard of that).

Right now I'm reading two books for two classes. The first is The Issa Valley by Czeslaw Milosz and the other is The Kind Must Die by Mary Renault. I haven't finished them yet, so I can't really formulate a very informed opinion on them, but so far I'm not liking The Issa Valley very much.

As for Through a Glass, Darkly, I highly recommend it if you can get ahold of it. I had the hardest time finding it in the US for some reason. I ended up getting it through one of those stores that sells through Amazon and it was the UK version. I don't even know if there is a US version. It's too short, though. It went by too fast.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan.

A friend recommended the Wheel of Time series to me a while ago, and I've enjoyed the books so far. :D

These are next on my list:
- The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan
- The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Leguin

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly - How good is this bloke
Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared diamond - very inetresting read
The food of Italy - mmmmmm belisimo:)

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Brilliant. I'm 425 pages in.

Also picked up and started The World is Flat by Tom Friedman. Starts out strong; he's pretty good, but his enthusiasm gets annoying-- sometimes he's Harriet Miers-ish with exclamation points! and enthusiasm! and EVERYTHING IS SO COOL!

emmawu

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Wauwatosa, WI
I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe
Blessings by Anna Quinlen
Napalm and Silly Putty by George Carlin
re-reading Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
This website
several magazines
I love to read:eek:

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon. Also Agile Web Development with Rails, by Dave Thomas and David Heinemeier Hansson.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Currently working my way through A Prayer for Owen Meany...I've been busy, so it's pretty slow going right now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.