What are you waiting for in Rev. B G5?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by acj, Sep 5, 2003.

1. acj
    macrumors 6502

This is been discussed before, but not so specifically, I think.

So what would you like to see in the next G5?

I am mostly hoping for a more versatile case.
    Something that remains relatively small, but with more expansion room:
    2 optical drives
    3-4 hard drives, that I can choose which ones.
    Even more USB ports (I’ve come to like 2 front/4rear/2internal on my PC)

2. macrumors 6502

panther

Pre-installed with Panther. I know Mr. Anderson has been very vocal about that one! Another thing people might be waiting for is to see if there are defects (like fans, or the case) that only the Rev A will have problems with, but will be fixed by Rev B.

--Waluigi

3. macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm waiting for the unknown problems that have yet to crop up to be fixed.:D

How's that for vague? Seriously though, Apple's track record with Rev.A products is not stellar. That's why there's a healthy dose of skepticism from some of us.

4. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Re: What are you waiting for in Rev. B G5?

There wil not be 2 optical drives there. And case will remain very similar to this one. dont know about hdds or usbs

5. macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Re: Re: What are you waiting for in Rev. B G5?

Is that internal info? Can you please explain the "case will remain very similar to this one". Is it expected that they change a product like that? I mean, in 6 months it changes design, even if by a little bit?

6. macrumors regular

I have the need, the need for speed!

Speed, Speed and more speed.

7. macrumors 68040

jxyama

Re: Re: Re: What are you waiting for in Rev. B G5?

well, i highly doubt anyone here would post an "insider" info. at least not a major one without hiding him/herself.

anyway, i'd imagine apple would want to stick to a very similar design in the case. it will help build form factor association with the g5. and the prev. case style lasted quite a while, except for minor front panel changes, so i imagine the general case design and dimensions will stay the same for quite some time..?

just my guess, this being a rumor site. :D

8. macrumors 65816

For this kind of jack the dual should have a real video card. The 9600P screams budget and the 5200 isn't even a door stop. Its SLOWER than a GF4MX.

A matching keyboard and TWO BUTTON SCROLL mouse. The Apple Pro stuff looks great but does not match the Aluminum case.

More RAM - even PC3200 DDR is cheap these days.

Two Duals and one single CPU cheapie.

9. macrumors G3

My wish list:

1. Faster processors.
    2. Second optical drive
    3. More internal disk
    4. More USB and firewire ports
      [/list=1]

10. macrumors regular

Coffee maker.

No seriously, I was surprised that they only put in one optical drive bay, there are a lot of people who like a second ComboDrive or internal Zip. I also enjoy having so much internal hard drive expansion in my MDD. On the other hand, looking at the internals I can see why Apple held back. With so much space devoted to cooling I guess they simply couldn't shoehorn anything more in. In that case I'll just have to settle for fast speed bumps and matching monitors.

11. macrumors 6502

Whay are we talking about rev. b when a lot of us are still waiting for the rev. a's to arrive?:confused:

12. macrumors 6502

Apple is defintely not going to change the case design for Rev. B.
    Therefore, there will definitely not be a second internal optical drive and I also don't think there will be more internal HDs.

But, as reported on macrumors.com it might very well be that due to the lack of a second optical drive, Apple releases an external sollution.
    But re-designing the case would be way too expensive for Apple. This case has to last a couple of revisions (although I hope it won't be used as long as the 'El Capitan' case).

13. macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Guys, having a second optical drive isn't a big deal. In fact, as far as I know, when it comes to the G4's, they've only ever had space for two internal optical drives for the last year, with the introduction of the MDD model. The Quicksilvers only had room for a Zip drive. If you need a second optical drive that bad, there are plenty of external solutions. I just wouldn't count on there being a come back for the second internal optical drive. And as for the Hard Drives....are you serious? You really need 4? These are SATA drives. The G5, maxed out on HD space, can currently hold 500GB of storage, and that's only because they don't make bigger SATA drives yet, but once they do, the amount of storage will go up and up, easily making it possible to have a full TB in the G5. If you really need much more than 500GB of storage, you need a server or some other solution, not a desktop computer. And don't tell me it's for DV, becuase I edit too, and even if you took off 100GB for personal storage, you'd still have 400GB for editing, which equals over 33 hours of digital video.

14. macrumors 6502

Why are people saying they are waiting for 'faster processors'? Isn't the Dual 2GHz G5 a very very fast system, if not the fastest on the market? Come on, if someone is waiting for something faster, they will keep waiting and waiting forever.

--Waluigi

15. macrumors regular

I'd like to see:

1) Quad CPU
    2) Higher RAM speed
    3) 4 SATA channels

I don't really care about a second optical drive - I just don't have the need for it. A Firewire external drive would be fine if I really needed it though.

Part of the argument for more SATA channels is speed rather than capacity - I'd like a striped RAID partition as my main partition, but I don't think you can boot from striped partitions at present. Plus it's probably complex to get this working if the system isn't initally shipped like that.

16. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not only that, but the bus the old dual optical/zip drive shared was the ATA-33, FW800 should be a dandy replacement for ATA-33 or ATA-66.

Though it is nice that the G5 has the optical drive is on it's own ATA-100 chain.

17. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

It was fast back in June of 2003... four months later in October when people really start to get them, its not going to be that breathtaking, especially since AMD and Intel have some great new stuff coming out... and unlike Apple, when they hit the market, you can buy them usually ASAP.

The things I'm waiting for in a Rev B G5 is DUAL PROCESSORS. Every G5 should have duals, not just the top of the line. Also, descent standard videocards... Apple cheaped out on both of these.

18. macrumors member

iron out the wrinkles...

Simple, I'll buy a Rev. B G5 as I bought a Rev. A G4 and have all manner of little and annoying problems. Let them fix all the bugs for the Rev. B.

Interestingly, the main things I want to know before buying are user reports on whether the G5's go to and wake up from sleep properly (unlike my G4) and how quiet they are (very unlike my G4).

The G5 Dual processor is already quick enough for me and HD space is OK - I've already got about 200Gb in FW drives that I can plug in.

Just let them learn from A and make B better :)

Grizzly

19. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Are you guys expecting Rev B G5s this January?

20. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i think they should have a single g5 & 2 models of duals or all duals. to much difference between the single 1.6 1.8 and then way out in front is the dual 2.0. this needs fixin in my simple humble yahaoo no apple store in s. carolina opinion.

21. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

a single and a dual option for every cpu speed, and more usb and fw400 ports.

seriously, why is it that no matter what, i always hear people bitching about video cards? god, is anything ever gonna be good enough for you?

22. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

you better have a good video card and cpu if you will be playing doom3- if it ever comes out.

23. macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

If you need a video card that much better, opt for the cheaper option, sell it on eBay, buy one that will suit your needs. Sometimes it's not about what Apple provides, sometimes it's about the video card manufacturers making them, and making them less costly. (mac compatible versions of video cards, at least from ATI, are more expensive due to the same amount of support needed but less units being sold)

24. macrumors 6502a

Huh?

Dual 1.6GHz, Single 1.8GHz and Dual 2.0GHz??? :confused:

25. macrumors regular

"Are you guys expecting Rev B G5s this January?"

My guess is that we won't see a revision until sometime next spring, maybe around WWDC or so. By then they would be able to announce the 3ghz machines and ship them in June or July. That's when I plan to buy one.

As for what I would want inside it....

- dual 3ghz
    - faster Superdrive (something that reads and writes at least 2 to 3 times faster than what's around today)
    - bigger hard drives (2 is enough, but I'd like to have them both be 400gb drives that I'll just partition as needed...for video editing/audio recording/etc.)
    - Appleworks included on every Mac