What are you working on right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue Velvet, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There have been a few threads recently about what people were reading, or what their age & education levels were, or even what they are listening to...

I thought it might be interesting to ask what current projects or tasks people were working on at the moment to get an insight on what other forum members' preoccupations were.

It doesn't matter if it's work, hobby, home or college-related. It doesn't even matter if it's got anything to do with a Mac... although they're especially nice to hear about.

Right now, it's a cold Sunday afternoon in London. As well as ducking into MR occasionally, I'm doing the first set of amends in Quark on a soon-to-be published paper, entitled:

"Exploring the implications of potential links between the voluntary and community organisations, social enterprise, and co-operatives and mutuals." (phew)

It's part of a set of 4 and for the designers out there, it's a 2 x spot colour, A4 perfect-bound, 120 pp publication set in Gill Sans & Sabon with a CMYK cover... and too many footnotes :(

Later this evening, I will be looking at some designs for a new conference display stand which needs to be produced within the next fortnight.

At home, I'm planning to get a whole new floor put down throughout the whole flat and am organising the estimates. I'm also occasionally musing on what to do with the 50mb webspace I've just got from my new ISP...

What's on your plate at the moment?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Work: writing new management software for our network devices (I work for a cellphone manufacturer, headquartered in Finland, who also makes network devices - but I won't say who it is ;)).

Work-related: freshening resumé. Would like to do something either more interesting or more challenging, and the large writing on the wall at work suggests that shortly I'll need to move on, voluntarily or not, as will large portions of the company which are based here.

Hobby: trying to get Mac software I'm working on to reach some critical mass. I keep playing with it, but never long enough to push it into the "functional" category. Also, trying to figure out what to do with the 2+GB of storage I got from DreamHost.com (special deal: $10 for the entire first year).

Home: planning how to deal with 2-3 feet of snow we are in the midst of receiving. Running wiring upstairs because idiots who lived here before ran one 15A circuit to the entire second floor; tiny though it is, it needs more than that. Enclosed back porch, now wiring and insulating it as I can afford to do so. Replacing old wall in basement garage. Planning to finish parts of tiny basement to add room to tiny house. Just finished building fireplace mantle.

Other: visiting MR, of course!

3. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

What kind of software?
    Be as vague as you like if you don't want to spill the beans... :)

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Work: finishing annual monitoring reports for the courses I lead at the Uni.

Work related: editing footage of the line-up proceedure for a 2" analog tape machine for a DVD about analog recording techniques.

Fun: playing Halo again (I'm bored).

Today: been swimming with my daughter this morning, waiting for friends to arrive for dinner tonight.

Drpping by MR occasionally. :D

5. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Yesterday: Went swimming with the Family and my sister's family at the community pool, spun myself into all kinds of pissed off when the snowblower wouldn't blow snow (how hard is it?? You turn it on, the big thing in front spins slowly, the little thing inside spins really fast and snow spits out the top!! But no, Everything runs/spins, but no snow spits out :mad: ) Oh, well, swimming was a blast :D

Today skipped church. Spent too much time yesterday goofing off/mucking with snowblower, so today I have to do homework (due tomorrow). Kids spent the night at Grandmas last night, so pretty soon now, I'll have to go pick them up.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Work - not today or tomorrow :D But lots of flow-charts to map out existing processes so that we can design a new improved system

Home - should be having a good springclean but have limited it to hunting out my Inland Revenue password so that I can file my tax return since I suddenly recalled that I hadn't done it yet!

Fun - Have been playing with lots of family photos to make a few wallpapers/screensavers for various family members. And about to head off out into the West End to meet up with some friends to watch the NFL Championship Games (hence having tomorrow off!)

7. iGav macrumors G3

I'm currently working on getting well oiled for Pop Will Eat Itself tonight... ;)

8. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I hope you're adopting the correct professional attitude for such a task. ;) :D

9. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Me:
    • Translating some presentations into HTML for my Dad to read on his eMac
    • Working through what feels like 8 ounces of medium strength Mexican coffee (fair trade Palenque)
    • Visit to local farmers market to pick up some eggs, sausages and organic canine shampoo
    • Soon I will probably watch Barton Fink on DVD
    My Lady:
    • Working on an educational policy presentation, whilst muttering occasional barbs about how much she hates PowerPoint
    • Indulging in the odd drop of home-made hot chocolate prepared by my fair hand
    • Marking that stack of books next to the desk, whilst probably watching the same film as above

10. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Currently working on a new animation .... We have an exhibition coming up in Philadelphia in April. Also learning PHP on the side as I try to move away from a domino server environment to something more open source. And have to entertain visitors here as well ..... All those Europeans who flock the warm weather to enjoy a brisk winter here on the US east coast :)

11. SteveZissou macrumors newbie

SteveZissou

As little as humanly possible.
    I am in the midst of trying to dodge a brochure layout that I need to get finished, but my new imac G5, I purchased friday afternoon has hijacked my weekend!
    Basically procrastinating :rolleyes:

12. iGav macrumors G3

hell yeah!! the G-monster knows how to party!! ;)

3 litres of Strongbow = Check
    Consumed 2.5 litres of said Strongbow so far = Check
    Combats = Check
    Freshing shaved head = Check
    New nose ring = Check
    Made sure old PWEI '94 shirt fits = (kind of, breathes in) Check
    Can I still pogo and slam dance at the grand old age of 26?? = u bet Your f**kin' life I can!!

...now the G-monster has to pogo! ;) :D

13. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Right now: Essay outline on the topic of: "Single party regimes have all had one feature in common: they have all been the product of a crisis situation." Examine, with reference to specific examples, the truth of this claim.

Throughout the day: Write up of computer program that is due shortly. It's about ten pages so far but it's going well.

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Work
    I've been good and am spending my afternoon doing some work for a pitch I've got later in the week – a branding project that's so incredibly top secret I dare reveal no more about it... mind, I say currently but not too much is getting done while I'm browsing on here!

Fun
    That'll occupy me until teatime, when my young lady friend is popping round – at which point I'll sort our tea out and we can settle down to watching another chunk of her 24 DVD while quaffing beer.

It's a hellish life, it really is. :D

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've got three projects going on at the moment, with a couple more in the wings.

Last year I finished writing a book, a memoir entitled "Small Journeys," which covers three critical years of my childhood, from age 8 to 11. I'm currently in the grueling process of sending it out to agents for feedback/rejection. I've gotten a couple bites, but nothing solid.

I'm now working on a proposal for my next book, tentatively titled "The Ordinary Mind: The Extraordinary Psychology of Everyday Life," which will be co-authored with my wife, who (perhaps not surprisingly) is a cognitive psychologist.

Ongoing, of course, is my blog (see below), which continues to increase in popularity at a rate of about 20 percent a month. I'm hoping to be able to start selling ads on it within the next 6 months.

In the wings are some DTP and Web design projects: A web site for a local gallery, and transitioning our town's hundreds of pages of ordinances from Quark to InDesign.

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Work
    Well, lucky for me at present I don't have to take my work home with me. So nothing on this front! :D

Fun
    Well, again, nothing really. Nursing a dose of the flu, keeping away from the family so as they don't catch it, surfing MR and watching DVDs...oh what fun...:rolleyes:

17. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

:eek:

BTW: like your blog's overall design.
    What software do you use to do that in?

18. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Watcha watching?

Anything from this list?

:D

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Thank you. I now feel much better after my afternoon of toil. :D

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

haha, no, but that's a darn fine idea! ;) :D

Just watched Team America...still laughing :D "AMERICA, F*** YEAH!" [​IMG]

21. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Interesting how you are watching that movie at home when it just came out at the cinema...

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It is, isn't it.

[​IMG]

:D

23. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Work: Stays in the office!

Home: Was cleaning up a bit. Now working towards getting an early alpha version of some new Mac software ready to go. It's a nice app to connect to your mobile phone and download all the SMS's on there to your Mac allowing you to archive them, search through them and so on.

24. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just popped into the break room and thought I would sneak a peek at MR. I've been busy, busy with the new (old) job, and it requires working weekends (off on Mondays and Tuesdays now). I'm up at 4:00 a.m. these days and head to bed at 9:00 p.m., so not too much time to post right now.

So, what am I working on?

Loading an MD88 "Mad Dog" aircraft going to RDU (Raleigh-Durham, N.C.). I just stacked all of the bags in the back of the aircraft and sent it out.

Temp in ATL (Atlanta) currently is 26 degrees with winds gusting to 30 mph. Wind chill is 13 degrees. BRRRRRRRRR Most flights to the northeast USA are cancelled due to snow/weather.

May get back to the "skeleton in the closet" thread Monday and Tuesday, if I have time. I think everybody's pretty much lost interest in it by now. I bought some storage containers the other night and I'm going to begin organizing the letters and putting them in chronological order and group them by those TO my Dad and those FROM my Dad, etc. Then I will tackle trying to group pictures by my Mom's family and my Dad's family. I still need to take some pictures of all of the "stuff" that I can't scan, like medals, dog tags and such. Right now it is an overwhelming task, but I just need to take it one bite at a time, like eating and elephant.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This being the weekend, I'm not at work, of course. I'm alternating between internet-hopping, snow shoveling and (later) watching the AFC and NFC Championship games.

Awaiting me starting tomorrow are three local cable broadcasts I'm directing: a city council meeting, a trustee meeting (for the little town next door), and a special public hearing.

Gonna be fun hauling around all that heavy remote equipment in this snowy, frigid weather. :(