What are your favorite Mac games?...

Discussion in 'Games' started by slick316, Oct 14, 2005.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

I have bought 3 games so far, Sim City 4, UT 2004, and Tiger Woods 2005. I enjoy Tiger Woods and UT the most (I played Sim City a lot when I first got, but its a game that requires time, the other two don't).
    I wanted a suggestion for a new game, so I was wondering what you guys like.

2. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Gish

This is the best mac-game I've ever played. It's also for Windows, and Linux. But it runs great on my powerbook. I also recommend a game-pad.

Dynamic lighting, real physics, awesome game play.

[​IMG]

3. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I'd pick up Halo if you liked UT2k4.
    Best Mac game ever? Marathon.

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Marathon yeah definity was sweet

5. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

WORLD OF WARCRAFT!!!

Honestly, this game has changed my gaming expirience. It's not only the incredibly huge fantasy world and nice relaxing gameplay, it's the meeting people, solving problems and making friends thing that goes with it. I became part of a guild where many members know each other in real life. They live in Berlin and back in august I visited them. Nice experience. We played alliance on a normal server and recently made a horde guild on a pvp server. I've played this game for more than 6 months now and it's still as funny as in the beginning.

My second favourite game of all time is Diablo 2. I also play other games than fantasy/role playing but these are the ones that I get addicted to the most. I played nothing but Diablo 2 for one and a half years back in 2001/2002.

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I dont like the fact that you have to pay for WoW and then have to pay to play it.

Sounds like a rip off to me. (Atleast thats how I was told it works)

7. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

As a matter of fact you have to pay for most games in the first place, except for shareware ones that most of the time are not very funny in the long run. And I can well understand the monthly fee you pay for WoW. They have to maintain the servers and keep it hacker free, which I believe is very much effort. If they did not then it would be all covered with cheaters and would be no more fun. Apart from that they change the online world almost every week to keep it alive and interesting. This week among a complete redesign of an entire area they improved the druids abilities and I can now have a very different gameplay with my favourite character I've played for the last 6 months. Of course this maintainance requres cost. It's a new model in the gaming industry I think is very interesting. If you are only an occasional gamer then of course it does not pay off. I enjoy playing about 3 hours, sometimes more, lets say 4-5 times a week. Before I got the game I went to bars or discos almost every friday and saturday spending about 30+ € every night. Now I only go out either friday or saturday, since I have a relaxing occupation at home. So WoW in some way actually saves me money. Everybody is free to have ones own opinion, I just wanted to point out that to me (and to a couple of million people out there) WoW is no rip off.

peace :)

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

9. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Marathon - genius old school (you can get it for free off Bungie's website)
    Deus Ex - a vast first person shooter about the New World Order
    Fallout - Interplay's finest post apocalyptic game
    Homeworld 2 - excellent graphics and fun gameplay. Sci fi strategy
    GooBall - very fun and addictive (still haven't finished the last level!)

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Same here, almost to the letter, WoW is an amazing game to play with a group, or individually for that matter.

Diablo 2 is a classic, I still have it on my PowerBook, running a Level 86 Barbarian currently, kicking it in Hell...

I still play Quake 3 sometimes, the best pure FPS around.

Yeah, Marathon was cool, but it doesn't really bear going back to.

11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Sure it does. Get Aleph One, and the high resolution texture pack. The only downside is that it makes you sad that most games still haven't beat it in the atmosphere/story department after all these years.

--Eric

12. roberts macrumors newbie

I like escape velocity: nova. Simple graphics but great gameplay, and you get to see if you like it before you buy it. Very reasonable shareware fee, too. Link.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Diablo 2/ LoD
    Luxor (I'm a dork, I know)
    MacSudoku

I just got Myst 3 and 4... so I'll have to play it some to decide... and I really want to try WoW but I just don't have the money at this point. That's what I get for not working this summer. :(

14. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Hehe, when I stopped playing Diablo 2 my sorceress was lvl 95, still have her saved on my hard disk and on my iPod... so many hours
    :D

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've spent many, many hours playing the Championship Manager/Football Manger series. The latest installment (Football Manger 2006) is out this coming Friday and I'm getting a little more excited than is strictly neccessary. :D

16. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Classic Bungie (Marathon, Myth, Oni), Warcraft is quite good too along with Starcraft and Black & White. I'm also still a fan of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

A great game for when you're feeling ticked off or not wanting anything complex is Kill Monty.

17. fklehman macrumors regular

fklehman

Baldur's Gate II, Diablo II, Age of Empires II. I'm planning to get a new PB in the next month or so and anticipate getting hooked on WoW, Simcity 4, Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the Old Republic. w00t!

18. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I've got a bunch of commercial Mac games here, none of them are currently on my Macs. I deleted World of Warcrack last week because I started to notice that the further I got in the game the more I was doing the same thing. Find a guy to get something, guy says you can't have it, go collect 10 of these, give him 10 of these, oh you must now give these to another guy, find other guy give him the stuff, he gives me something in return, return it to first guy... REPEAT.

_BUT_ to answer the original question at the moment I am playing WingNuts on my Mac, it's kind of a modern version of Time Pilots from the arcade. I also have the Apple ][ emulator Virtual ][ installed and I've been playing a bunch of old Apple ][ games. So I guess currently my favourite stuff is the weird shareware stuff you can find for OS X. If I had to pick an all time favourite OS X game though I'd say the 1 player game of Call of Duty that was great fun.

19. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Starcraft
    X-Plane, not so much of a game but a good flight simulator
    Myst series

20. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thats a lot of great suggestions.

Got a question, what exactly do you do in Myst?

Also, someone mentioned a gamepad, I wasn't aware of one made for Apple's, who makes one for us?

21. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yes this is quite true. However it was in the sentence with a conjunction joining the fact you have to pay after you have already bought it. This is what I am not pleased with, not the fact that I have to pay for games.

I hope you realise that a non-online gaming company also has on going costs after that have sold the final product, and don't continuously charge for updates, etc.

I have no problem with Blizzard charging, but I'm just not keen on an ongoing payment for it.

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Doom 3- great, great game!

My other suggestion- Halo.

23. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Myst is a puzzle game, beautiful pre-rendered graphics, especial for its age. Go go through a world, get clues and solve puzzles to progress in the story line. Very different from most games you encounter and is something that you can stop and save at any time (if you aren't addicted).

24. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

All of them. Just plug it in, unless it's a really old model with a PS/2 interface or something. Get an appropriate USB adapter, and then you can use all console controllers too.

--Eric

25. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool info, thanks guys.

I don't think I need a gamepad just yet, Tiger Woods and UT work great with KB/Mouse. Its nice to know that any gamepad will work though.

Myst sounds good, I hear its a great PC seller, a classic. I think I might get that, something different than what I have.

I think one Mac game is good, considering I have GTA for PSP to look forward to also, and XBOX 360 next month, I will be on game overload :)

Thanks again for the info.

Also, keep the info coming, I can always use more suggestions and I'm sure others looking for games will appreciate it also.