What Are Your July 4th Plans/Traditions?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Capt Underpants, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well, we all know that July 4th is Independence Day here in America, and that many people celebrate it with their family/friends. My family and I usually meet down at my aunt and uncle's, have some food, play some games, and shoot some fireworks. It's usually very fun, and I go home pooped, but ready for the next year.

So, what do you guys do for the 4th? Do you even celebrate it? if so, how? With family, friends? Do you shoot off fireworks?

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

My brother and his wife and two sons will come up for July 3, 4, and I think 5. By coincidence, July 2 is when I finish my summer class.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

watching the fireworks in dc from my place. having a cookout in the backyard and swimming in the pool. inviting friends over, and generally having the type of time that you might read about in the drunk thread :rolleyes:

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

July 4th is my kids favorite holiday of all... strange. My family and my wife's sister's family all get together for a cookout and a day long event in a local area to eventually watch fireworks. They want to get there early to get a prime spot. They take coolers for soft drinks, play frisbee, throw a football, etc. They love it. In fact my son is traveling back from the camp he is working in this summer to participate. My daughter won't make it this year :(

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

My family and I are going to Libby Camps in Maine to go fishing.

Usually on the 4th of July we make a huge on fire from 1 years worth of drift wood. We usually make the fire pit 20X35 feet, parallel to the beach, and I've seen the flames go as high as 50 feet.

We also make smores, target practice with a bb-gun or shot gun, and the owners of the place have 2 beavers that they like to do aerobatics in, and usually put on a good show.

Most of the adults get drunk and fall asleep by 12 PM, but all the kids too young to drink stay up all night, making the fire bigger, dumping diesel on the fire and seeing it flare up another 20 feet.

Burning things...American tradition. :D :cool:

6. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    watching the Czech Republic win the Euro 2004 Championships and celebrating as I win my bet :D

I'm English so it really is not a big day for me :)

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I guess I have the geekiest Independence Day tradition. It'll be time for another one of my post-count-extrapolation threads.

8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

My family and I are going to watch Spiderman 2, then come home and have a barbeque. In the evening, I'll probably go out with friends and have a few drinks ;) and watch the fireworks over the bay :).

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Going to newport beach. I usually know someone that has a place for a week every year. This years no different :D

Its sweet on the 4th up there, so many hot women.

10. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

shooting off masses of fireworks and explosives illigally :rolleyes:

11. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

ahhh, yes I remeber seeing the fireworks over the bay...good times...

And if anybody know, why is blowing things up (aka fireworks) an American tradition?
    Not that I'm complaning... :D

12. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I don't think it's necessarily an American tradition. Fireworks have been used to celebrate since before America was even created.

But then again, I suppose us Americans do enjoy blowing things up....but who doesn't? ;)

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

We set off fireworks here in NZ on 5/11 (same date as several other countries, a Guy* tried to blow up the British Parliament, which apparently calls for a celebration ;)). However, you can't buy decent fireworks anymore, apparently they're unsafe :mad:

* A Guy Fawkes, to be precise.

14. sandercox macrumors newbie

Celbrating my birthday :D
    It's a good reminder for people when you say your birthday is at the 4th of July... you know Independence Day :) (even in the Netherlands where I live)

15. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

On Friday I'm heading up to Columbus to see They Might Be Giants at an outdoor concert, after the show we're going to stick around and watch Columbus' Red, White and Boom. Should be a great time...

As for Saturday, Sunday, Monday... nurse a hangover. :)

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I saw an an australian website where they have the same problem about a guy who bound ~100 sparklers together and then lit them (using 1 stuck in the top of the bundle as a fuse.) The result was a 8' column of hell.

I went to Sam's Club and bought a box of sparklers and duplicated the experiment. real cool

17. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

July fourth is a great day for me to share this video and get some traffic on the good ol' Robot Factory.

It was fun because the rockest asplode my face!

18. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Grillin' and Chillin'

Get together with Family and friends for grilled treats of seafood, poultry, pork and beef. Wash it down with some beverages containing alcohol and watch the fireworks go off.
    A second scenario is doing the above at the seashore...

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

for about 10+ years, one family in our small town of 4000 would invite over 100 guests to a 4th of july bbq on the beach...it was by far the biggest single party...they had 4 kids of all different ages in the town's school system, but now that the kids are all grown up, there is no mega party...i miss that gathering

the fire marshall has really cracked down on fireworks and fires on the beach so it has relegated most citizens here to have individual house parties without fireworks...too bad for the kids