Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I love my MacBook Air and one of the biggest challenges is finding a Windows laptop that has the beauty and design of an Apple computer. I honestly haven't been able to find a viable alternative although the HP Envy 15 came "somewhat" close (if MBP is a 10, I consider an Envy a 7). The reason why I need a Windows laptop is because of work reasons. I could install Windows on my MacBook Air but don't want to sacrifice space and also find it a pain to use hotkeys for certain Windows keys that I need on a regular basis like Pause Break.

I don't know how I never even heard of the Dell XPS 13 but today is the first time I even knew it existed. It looks similar to a MacBook Air but has carbon fiber underneath as opposed to being an all aluminum construction. What are everyone's thoughts on this laptop? I'm thinking I finally found a suitable Windows laptop to hang with my MBA. The only thing I will miss is the fact that no company can mimic Apple's absolute perfection of a trackpad. Scrolling in OS X is an absolute joy and I'm sad I can't get that experience on Windows 7.

Price-wise a 128GB model goes for $1000 while a 256GB model goes for $1300 so I'm definitely like that.

http://www.dell.com/html/global/xps13/xps-13-ultrabook.html?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&redirect=1

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...is-this-the-ultrabook-youve-been-waiting-for/

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The Dell XPS 13 looks like one of the better Ultrabook efforts and has garnered praise from CNet and John C. Dvorak. It just came out, which is probably why you haven't heard of it until now. The larger screen is nice, but note that it is still just 1366x768. It has mDP and USB 3.0, but not Thunderbolt. It also has the same processor as the base 11" MacBook Air.

If you need a dedicated Windows PC it is probably a decent choice. Have you considered installing Windows in Boot Camp on your MacBook Air, though? The only real loss in speed will be slower boots and lack of TRIM support as Apple's Boot Camp drivers don't support AHCI mode for the SSD in Windows 7.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
The Lenovo U300s is by far my favorite Windows ultrabook. I also like the Envy 14 Spectre, just because I have had good luck with HPs in the past (not so much with Dell), but I think Dell has turned a new leaf with the XPS series. I would say go for it if you checked out all the competition and that is what you want.

jjfcpa

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Its a very nice looking machine and I think Dell probably did this one right.

My problem is keeping it up to date with all my data. I've gotten used to running a Mac with Win7 installed in VMware JUST so I could keep everything on one computer. Love the way you can switch from Windows to Mac with a swipe.

I've always had a Windows laptop, just so I could say I had one, but a 3 or 4 year old Thinkpad currently fills that bill. Most of the time it just sits there.

I think I'll wait for the 15" MBA... maybe even a 17" MBA. Love it.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
For business class machines, it's hard to beat Dell value. I've had a Latitude E4310 with an Arrandale i5/8MB/512GB, and it has near-desktop performance. So this XPS looks like an "Air" version of the Latitude.

One thing to note is the carbon fiber bottom, and the vented fan with a bottom intake, a design that I think the 2012 MPB and next-gen Air will go to, with a lot better cooling profile than the current Air has.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
The Base is $999? Through Dell with tax for a $150 more you can get the 13 Air which is a better machine.

I think this is nice for someone who hates Apple without reason.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I'm impressed. I hope Dell sticks with it and not drop it like their Amado line.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
As much as I'd love to see strong competition, when it really comes down to a decision, there's no serious competition, at least imo. There aren't many scenarios where I'd recommend a windows Ultrabook above an MBA, and that's not even talking about a 2012 revision.

All-round, in my eyes the closest two windows Ultrabooks would be Lenovo's Ideapad U300s and the Asus Zenbook UX31, both of which I'd recommend only if the person adamantly refuses OSX/Apple or absolutely needs a primary Windows machine.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
As much as I'd love to see strong competition, when it really comes down to a decision, there's no serious competition, at least imo. There aren't many scenarios where I'd recommend a windows Ultrabook above an MBA, and that's not even talking about a 2012 revision.

All-round, in my eyes the closest two windows Ultrabooks would be Lenovo's Ideapad U300s and the Asus Zenbook UX31, both of which I'd recommend only if the person adamantly refuses OSX/Apple or absolutely needs a primary Windows machine.

**cough**

Boot Camp

**cough**

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
I had a Dell XPS m1330. Then I had a Vostro 3350 (i5, ATI graphics).

The m1330 basically fell apart within a year, and it wasn't even my main computer. Then the motherboard burned out (8600GT issue).

The Vostro 3350 I got recently, it was a fast computer, but the shared video cards (ATI/Intel HD3000) was totally bugged and unusable. Returned the computer after a few weeks. Replaced with my little Lenovo, which is brilliant.

I wouldn't have another Dell laptop near me.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
They are very nice computers, most of the new ultra book range are. The Asus UX21 and Lenovo u3000 are my favourite.

People on here should actually be supporting Ultrabooks. Competition is NEVER a bad thing for the customer. If Ultrabooks were to fail horribly, then Apple could sit back, and let the money come rolling in without having to really improve their line. Competition will keep Apple on their toes and make sure they bring out the best they can, every year.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
The Base is $999? Through Dell with tax for a $150 more you can get the 13 Air which is a better machine.

I think this is nice for someone who hates Apple without reason.

This Dell machine - like almost all Windows machines now - supports USB 3.0

Apple, a company and it's fan-boys who claim that Apple is tops in technology, still supports the now archaic USB 2.0 only. Is Apple going to bring back the floppy?

Oh wait.

There's Thunderbolt.

Only there isn't. Unless you are willing to give Apple another $50 for a 25 cent manufactured cost cable to help drive Apple's stock price to $1,000 per share.

And oh yeah, you have to give Seagate $100 for the portable drive adapter too. $150- before you buy the drive.

Or you can use USB 2.0

Your choice from your friends at Apple.

Where does the hate come from?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
T
Oh wait.

There's Thunderbolt.

Only there isn't. Unless you are willing to give Apple another $50 for a 25 cent manufactured cost cable to help drive Apple's stock price to $1,000 per share.

At least get your facts straight. The Thunderbolt cable isn't a $0.25 cable at all, as it has advanced controllers on either end, unlike a simple USB cable. There is one third party supplier also making (black) TB cables, and they are also $50 right now.

We'll see the price drop when Ultrabooks start using Thunderbolt. Unfortunately, that likely won't be until the now-delayed Ivy Bridge chips come out, which is also when Apple will likely start using USB 3.0 since it will be native to Ivy Bridge.

Apple and Intel have never claimed Thunderbolt to be a replacement for USB 3.0. They have instead claimed it is complementary. USB 3.0 can't handle displays like the Apple Thunderbolt Display, and TB is overkill for things like flash drives and peripherals. TB will find usage in docking stations as well as enhanced displays and video in.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
if i were in the market today,
this would likely be my laptop of choice.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the MBA. but the price for what you get here is pretty good.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
*cough partitionsize/moreexpensiveevenwithoutbuyingWindows/usinglogiconmainstreamuser cough*

Trust me, despite the above, I try :D

Well thats what my dad does is run windows full time on his Air and he loves it. I have come to love Parellals.

Dells can be good laptops but they can be the worst piece of crap. Remember all those faulty motherboards they sold knowingly.

slj0085

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
Bought one and put Linux on it

I have bought a xps 13 as an alternative to try out to the air and with windows on it the air outperforms. But I have been using Ubuntu Linux and with that OS I must say its a wonderful machine. I just cant stand windows or MS!

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
The dell in the Cnet link you sent in the first post seems kinda fat for an ultrabook compared to the macbook air.
I say if you need an ultrabook, buy a macbook air and just put windows on it.
Or if you're not in a hurry, wait 2-3 months to see what the new macbook pros look like. It's said they're gonna be thinner (not like a macbook air, but if it's thinner than the current macbook pros it's gonna be kinda ultraportable).

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
The Dell XPS 13 looks like one of the better Ultrabook efforts and has garnered praise from CNet and John C. Dvorak. It just came out, which is probably why you haven't heard of it until now. The larger screen is nice, but note that it is still just 1366x768. It has mDP and USB 3.0, but not Thunderbolt. It also has the same processor as the base 11" MacBook Air.

If you need a dedicated Windows PC it is probably a decent choice. Have you considered installing Windows in Boot Camp on your MacBook Air, though? The only real loss in speed will be slower boots and lack of TRIM support as Apple's Boot Camp drivers don't support AHCI mode for the SSD in Windows 7.

And it doesn't have OSX Snow Lion, or able to run Mountain Lion

Le Buzz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
Looks like a nice machine... I especially like the edge to edge glass, which I'm hoping the next revision of the MBA will have.

Have you looked at the HP Folio 13? I've seen them for around $800.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
I don't like air vent along bottom (heat on lap?)...and one review i saw said it's somewhat noisy under load...

Ill wait for hopefully 15" air/macpro...but if i were in market for new computer i would give this dell a look over...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.