What ATI All in Wonder card do I want?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cifriX, Oct 6, 2004.

1. cifriX macrumors newbie

I'm looking into upgrading my 500MHz PowerMac G4's graphics card - (Sawtooth 2x AGP). Currently it has a ATI Rage 128 with 16MB VRAM.
    I wan't a graphics card with a TV tuner, video capture, and dual VGA support - I have 2 17" CRT Studio Displays.
    I was looking at ATI's 9800 All in Wonder Pro - however I don't believe it has dual VGA support. I'm also looking at ATI's 9600 All in Wonder XT - however I read that it requires a 1GHz processor to capture MPEG2 video, and as stated I only have a 500MHz machine.
    So any help on this is welcomed.

2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

As far as I know, the last Mac card that did TV was the ATI XClaim VR 128. It's not a bad card, but it's certainly not an upgrade from what you have. It's a Rage card, not Radeon, only has 16MB of memory, and is PCI not AGP. But it did TV I/O through a little breakout box that does coaxial and RCA/S-Video.

The current round of All-In-Wonder cards are PC only, ATI has not upgraded their software for Mac since OS 9 so the card won't input TV or video under OS X. I think it is pretty crappy of them, since OS X came out pretty soon after the card, but that is a different rant.

There are other threads about the best card for your machine, the newest cards are overkill because your machine can't really utilize the speed of the card (e.g. AGP 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x). Depending on what you want to do, you could add another PCI graphics card and get an external FireWire TV solution from Elgato or Formac (there are other threads on this).

I still think the best solution was in my Performa 6400 with a BUILT-IN TV tuner and REMOTE CONTROL. I wish Apple would come back with some of these features, but we all know Jobs is anti-TV.

Good luck!
    cpjakes