What auto racing series do you follow?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jedi128, May 15, 2006.

1. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, just asking a question here for a survey I have to do for school. Basically, of the following racing series which do you "follow" or which have you watched more than one event of in the past year.

Formula 1
    Any NASCAR series (Nextel, Bucsh, Craftsmen, etc..)
    Indy Racing League (IRL)
    Champ Car
    American Le Mans
    Gran Am Cup
    ARCA RE/MAX
    Hooters Pro Cup

Thanks for helping me out...

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

So far this year I've already been to NASCAR's Daytona 500 (saw the Trucks and Busch Series too) as well as the IRL's Grand Prix of St. Petersburg. Heading to the Indy 500 next week. I also watch Formula 1 every race week, and caught a Champ Car race in Long Beach one weekend on TV, although the field was decimated early on. Not as bad as the F1 race last year in Indy though :eek:

3. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

You should make a Poll out of this. That would make it a little bit easier to keep track.
    My vote goes strictly for

F1

I don't follow it as much as I used to anymore. But I try to follow as many races as I can.

4. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

5. Gnorn macrumors regular

Formula 1 and A1GP (the latter really rocks!)

If one of the European sport networks shows another series (Champ for example) I'll try and watch that to. But it's very hard to follow those American series over here. NASCAR is even worse... I can only watch the Busch -no Nextel- series on a subscribtion channel. Cabel does broadcast the Indy 500 though.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Here's a hint....

[​IMG]

a little closer.....

[​IMG]

and the answer....

[​IMG]

7. iGav macrumors G3

Pretty much F1 only now days. ;)

The american race series don't really get any coverage over here, unless you're a SKY subscriber. ;)

I used to watch WRC, but with the loss of major manufacturers... it's not as good as it was in the '80's and '90's.

Back in the '80's I used to love watching Rallycross, it was on every Saturday morning from Brands Hatch, but what made it really pukka, was that the grids consisted of the Group B rally cars... RS200's, 6R4's, T16's etc... they were all homeless after the 1986 season. :D

Once upon a time, I was also a massive fan of touring car racing... but it lost it's way in the late '90's, and now they use success ballast, which I absolutely despise.

None of which helps you really... so just put me down for F1. ;)

8. bartelby macrumors Core

F1, when I can be bothered.
    And Le Mans, not the series, just the 24 hr.

I'm more into:

World Super Bikes
    British Super Bikes
    125cc
    250cc
    MotoGP

9. asxtb macrumors 6502

I follow NASCAR and IRL. Just went to the IRL race at Motegi. I'm jealous Cooknn I'd love to be going to Indy. Stoped going 2 years ago since I moved to Japan.

Don't know much about the other series. I do think that F1 is rather boring. I sometimes watch it when it is on TV though. Last race I saw the leader (I think Alonso) was so far ahead he pitted and when he came out was still 30 seconds ahead of the second place car. Not so much racing as it is cars driving around a track.

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

For watchability on TV, I think that rally racing takes it for me. I never get tired of seeing those beautiful drifts at crazy high speeds. Also, it seems like most people here in France aspire to be drivers, and practice on the roads whenever possible. :)

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

NASCAR

though I don't follow as closely as I used to

12. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Depends what I'm racing in that season :D Used to be soley CART (champ car) as I was trying work my way through there ladder system but ran out of cash and lost my ride.

At the moment I watch anything. Here are my order of preference:-

Indy 500 - OH THIS SO ROCKS
    F1 - Best coverage in the UK
    IRL - Excellent satelitle coverage
    Champ Car - Eurosport coverage sucks
    A1GP
    MotoGP
    F3
    BTCC
    Nascar Busch Series - Can't get Nextel Cup without paying for NASN in the UK and g/f wouldn't like that. :)

13. link92 macrumors 6502

Pretty much just F1 and Le Mans 24 hours. I used to watch WRC, but that's just lost my interest over the years, partly due the lack of major manufacturers.

14. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I used to watch GP500 bikes. That was good stuff. To be honest, I really just started getting back into F1. Used to watch when it was Mika vs Michael. BTW, is that Rossi guy in F1 the same that dominated in GP500 several years ago?

15. mpw Guest

B60, there's great left hander half way along on the way home each night.

16. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Indy
    Cart
    (any open wheel racing is good to me, F1, Formula Ford etc...)

NASCAR, only because its on all the time.

I prefer ovals for the speed and drama.

I enjoy a good Rally from time to time.

17. Subliving macrumors member

Subliving

Formula 1, whih is on the up again, thank god!

However, I'd like to see Schumacher win one more champoinship before his retirement...

Subliving

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

hate me all you want but :

if humans want to save gas, oil and all that, for future generations...

stopping EVERY and ALL racing events, would be a good start...

the Jet Powered Mac Truck...burns 300gallons in a few seconds...

Nascars...
    F1...
    Rallysport....
    speedboat.....
    airshows...
    and all that, use ALOT of gasoline....

Im not saying Im against racing in any sense, but in reality its a "waste" of gas in that it does NOTHING for anyone in the public sector other than fill another afternoon with beer and hootin.

if we stopped all races today, im sure we'd have millions of gallons of gas to offset the final "gurgle" of the last oil well.

19. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Youll save many, many times more gas if people would stop doing the "jump in the car for a four block trip to the convenience store to grab a bag of chips".

Millions? where do you get those statistics? link please...

Just about every form of auto racing has fuel restrictions on exsessive usage. Stopping auto racing wouldnt even make a noticable dent or even a scuff in fuel usage.

Now if people would just do a little walking or carpooling that would make a very very noticable crunch.

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Well I would think that over decades, yes millions is not a bad estimate...

but of course thats not the final resolution of any gas saving society now is it? No and shame on anyone who thinks thats what I meant. :rolleyes:

Saving gas takes effort, and America, we is lazee.

21. Gnorn macrumors regular

At least you have the choice of watching Nextel on NASN... Here on the continent I watch NASN... but the broadcast rights to Nextel only apply to the Uk, so we only get the Busch series... :confused:

Damn, I hate that. And Eurosport also doesn't boadcast it anymore :mad:

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

23. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

NASCAR is my series of choice.

I recently attended the Rolex series and USAC Silver Crown races at Homestead Miami Speedway. I also saw IRL/IPS practice and qualifying.

FIA European truck racing...now that's fun to watch. It's too bad Speed Channel sucks and doesn't show it anymore. :rolleyes:

24. Jedi128 thread starter macrumors 6502

WOW!!! Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm located in the US and watch mostly Formula One, but just got into it last year (when it got exciting again!). I have been a big NASCAR fan for sometime, but I am finding F1 to be much more........statisfying.

Anyway it sounds like I should have included WRC. Can't believe I forgot that one. I was going mostly by what is on Speed Channel, thats why there is so so many American based series on that list. I guess I should think more internationally. If I was to do this same poll in the US, I think I would get 75% less people saying Formual One.... In this country, no one seems to know it exists..... which is such a crime....

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There is no Rossi guy in F1.

Unless you mean Valentino Rossi, who indeed was/is a motorcycle racer. He's tested a few times for Ferrari, but so far, nothing has come of it other than rumors and comparisons to the the only person to win major championships on 2 and 4 wheels (Mike Hawthorne?)

As for me, I follow F1, Le Mans, and I'll watch the Rolex Sports Car series (Daytona Prototypes are cool!), just about any touring car series (too bad the BTCC isn't so good anymore, or shown on Speed), or basically anything not NASCAR or on an oval. Also, racing on dirt (or snow, gravel, ice, etc.) = badass, no matter the track layout.