What bday present should I get my girlfriend??

Discussion in 'Community' started by madforrit, Jul 26, 2003.

1. madforrit macrumors regular

So we've been together for 4 years. I've pretty much gotten her everything standard (i.e. jewelry), so some creative ideas would help!

Her birthday's in less than a week!

Thanks!

--mad:mad:

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it's not about what you get her, it's about how much thought (and trouble) goes into it... planning the absolute perfect evening, combined with some small gift, would probably wow her... do everything she wants, take her to her favorite restaraunt, etc... Maybe take an ad out in whatever newspaper she reads, initials and a baby picture are good for more discreet ads...

if she's a fan of the arts, get good (cheapness counts on this night over any other) tickets to your local opera, a play (dinner theatres can be excellent), or a musical performance...

end the night with a bit of lingerie, not for her but for you... it sounds goofy but a lot of women like that sort of thing :)

pnw

3. madforrit thread starter macrumors regular

lol

I'll pass on the dMac...although she does have a purple iMac...

I was totally thinking about a musical (she really wants to see Lion King but it's not playing anywhere in CA for the next year) or opera...unfortunately all that's here in the SF bay area is the Phantom of the Opera...we've seen it several times so that's out.

Blargh. Why does it get harder the longer you're together??

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Spend some time one something you make yourself and she will appreciate it.

Well, you don't necessarily have to make something for her, you could clean her house/apartment/whatever.

scem0

5. dstorey macrumors 6502a

Buy her an iPod and open it, and preload her favorite songs on it, puting 'your song' on first track, and personalise the menu thing to display a sweet message (can you do this?)....there you go, something particle, something sweet, and something apple ;)

6. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Re: What bday present should I get my girlfriend??

Click! Try the professionals!?

Ask them, tell them Hamish sent you for a free suggestion.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Go to a performance at a small local theater. Berkeley is a lively community so there must be some around. Look in the newspaper. Probably easier to get last-minute tickets to than a name-brand show.
    Because you've already used up some of your good gift ideas? On the other hand, you should have more of an idea what she likes.

8. madforrit thread starter macrumors regular

I DID IT!!

Ok, so I did find a musical that we're going to...got pretty good seats.

Too bad it's a month after her birthday, but I think it should be ok.

The name is pretty horrible: Urinetown (not romantic!) but then again this is her birthday, not an anniversary, and she likes funny plays/musicals. It's supposed to be pretty good. We'll see...

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions everyone.

9. madforrit thread starter macrumors regular

She already has an ipod. ;)

10. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

If you have access to her computer think about putting a special background on it for her. Just a pleasant little surprise. If you don't PS, you can try a special photo, place you've been, or even just a little love note.

Funny thing is I started a thread like this a couple of months ago for my fianceés birthday, except I was strapped.

As it turned out, we had just finished driving up here at 3:00 AM on her birthday (36 hours we were up) so it was pretty f***ed as far as doing anything, and we couldn't even get much sleep until that night because we discovered the previous occupants had let their dog pee on everything, our cats peed on all our bedding, we had no washer and dryer, and the water was winterized and shut off.

She did get a little Badtz Maru locker from Sanrio, which I could afford because I had a bunch of bonus cards saved up...

She's so funny, she's such a hardcore in some ways (example :she hung a US Ranger flag inside the window on the front corner of our house, the slogan you may know "Mess with the best, die like the rest") but she loves cutsie stuff like stuffed animals and sanrio things... Makes things pretty easy if I've got any money and time.

Ah....amour... :D

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

get your girlfriend an iSight...
    or an apple gift card...
    if your girlfriend is an apple geek then get her a nice and old peecee and give her a baseball bat. :) :p

12. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

That last part literally made me laugh out loud :D

*puts on office space....fast forwards....*

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

just plan the ultimate date for her, and not movie and dinner and all that, something real special. go buy her a new outfit, possibly get her some new perfume ( i just got my girlfriend the new pleasures and it smells gooood). possibly some new lingerie. do you have a hot tub, i know girls like mine, and just have a romantic setup when you get back home with roses, candles, or whatever you can think of.

or...

you can do the 3 M's
    pick her up on the moped, take her to mcdonalds and take her back to mom's.

iJon

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: I DID IT!!

the plan is working very well....

ps. how do people not even read that he already got her something and still make suggestions?

15. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

How old is she turning in to?

Give her a watch, that represent "that you like the time you spend with her".

I have been togather with my GF for 4 years now too and it si very complicated to give something different.

Well, her last birthday I made all the arragenment for her party and then I took her to a club where we cut the cake because I knew everybody at the club too, etc, etc. She had a lot of fun.

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Re: I DID IT!!

just in case something goes wrong or he wants to get her something extra

17. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Re: Re: Re: I DID IT!!

Not that we have plans to sabotage him just so he has to take one of our suggestions...or anything...

18. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

One year I got my girlfriend a pre-packed picnic basket and a kite. We went out to the beach and we tried to get that stupid kite up. It was a blast and hysterically funny. Add dinner and a movie.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ask her to strip naked, get some scented candles, chocolate sauce, some sliced meats, dijon mustard, and.........oh wait, what were we talking about again?

Oh just make her a card and buy her dinner, and then do the whole kinky lingerie thing.

@ideahamster: Good idea. Now I see why you gave yourself that name. ;)

20. madforrit thread starter macrumors regular

LOL
    You guys (read: guys and gals) crack me up.

Ubergeek - Unfortunately she doesn't use OSX (yet) so an iSight won't work too well. And while she IS a mac user (because of me), she's not a mac geek despite my best efforts. Evidence: she almost considered getting a pc laptop instead of a planned PBook because she's going into law, a mac unfriendly field. But I may reward myself with the pc and baseball bat. :D

Mymemory - she's turning 21. I've gotten her a watch before.

Idea_hamster - I like that...will have to file that away for the future or just for fun :)

So I dropped $108 on the musical tix but the seats are "dress circle" and dead center (good, yes?). We'll probably do dinner as well. However, there still remains her actual birthday (this Tuesday), so any ideas on that are still welcome! The musical isn't for a month...so I need to still do something for the bday besides hand her the tix! Maybe the 3 M's....

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

get her something romantic...not a computer...you can get that anytime

22. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

here's what to do...

it might be kind of expensive, but oh well, it will be worth it later on.

First check you local area for a spa which offers all-day spa treatment. Buy, her the all day treatment if you can. Then, make reservations to an expensive or not so expensive resturant, for her birthday dinner.

In case you didn't get it, the Spa would be her present. I bet you would get some major Bonus Points from her for it. I bet she would even like it more if you went with her. Or if you didn't go, pay for one of her friends, or sister, to go. That way you would look like the utimate boyfriend.

Anyway, Good Luck.

23. madforrit thread starter macrumors regular

Re: here's what to do...

But...but...I AM the ultimate boyfriend. :rolleyes:

24. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

For our 1st year anniversary I took her to a salon that was about two-three times as expensive as where she would usually go. I spoke to the stylist in advance and told her what was up. She got a three color job.

Then we went almost right away to an appointment I made to get professional pics done... so basically she went straight from a salon chair to a photo shoot -- bonus points for her feeling confident about her hair, naturally :)

After a year of being together those were the first photos we had together, oddly enough.

Then I did the usual dinner and a movie bit, as I recall. I don't remember what else I did/got, but big kudos on the day.

25. Steradian macrumors 6502

you know whats a cool place for little knick nacks, and cool things that always speak from the heart, the Museum Company HERE , I suggest one of the really cool music Boxes that they sell, you can have the tone be specified to your liking. I have been to the place in sorrento where they construct these Music Boxes, and each is unique and Vibrant. Heres is another Link best of luck, Hope you can use these Ideas if your other plans fall through