What blank DVD media do you use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by copanewbe, Feb 9, 2007.

1. copanewbe macrumors member

Jan 19, 2007
    I'm planning on backing up my dvd collection, so I'm inquiring about all of your experiences with different types of DVDs. I've had good luck with verbatim DL-DVD on my C2D, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the cheaper brands. I'm planning on backing up my entire collection, so I don't know if I want to shell out all that money. I might just go cheap and compress my movies onto asingle layer if the cheaper brands suck. Thanks in advance.
  2. flalaw macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2006
    United States
    i usually get whatever happens to be on sale and staples, office max, etc. and i've never had a bad experience. i usually buy sony and they're always on sale at some time or another. breaks down to about $.25 each
  3. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2006
    I haven't really had experience with the cheaper brands. After all, considering that you want your data to stay around and that a DVD-RW can be burnt 20,000 times or something like that, it makes sense to get good ones.

I use Sony, myself. The cost isn't really that much more than some "Office Depot Brand" disc anyway.
  4. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Memorex. Usually pretty good prices, always seems to work. Had some FUJI DL disks, the 3 pack didn't work, but the 25 did. Go figure. As long as you stay away from the really cheapy, no name stuff (but even then sometimes) you should be fine.

Did have some TDKs that didn't work so well, but they were 16x DVD+Rs, and they didn't work in my standalone burner either. DVD-Rs worked ok. And for the some reason the 4x +R ones worked the best.
  5. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
  6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

Jul 30, 2006
    philips 16x dvd-r - less than $11 including shipping for 50 of them from neweggs.

so far so good, never had any problems.
  7. iBorg20181 macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Newegg.com also has a current deal for Verbatim 100-pack 16x DVD-R for $18 after rebate. Verbatim is the one brand that is at the top of every list I've seen, as far as quality and lack of coasters. It's all that I use now, and I never get coasters with these!

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Jan 1, 2007
  9. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    I have never really cared for verbatim. On some dvd players they work great on others not so great. I have had some where after they play for like an hour, they start to skip.

Sony's however I have used a lot and they seem pretty reliable. If you are planing on backing up your collection, just get mactheripper and toast. Then just put them on a normal 4.7gb dvd and then use those instead of the the movies you have bought all the time. Leave the originals as a master so if you ever scratch the burned ones you can copy of the high quality dvd.

I have tried dynex (bestbuy) and they also seem to work. I got them at one of those black friday specials (day after thanksgiving) for $5. I haven't found anything wrong so far.
  10. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    I <3 my Ritek disks, at least none of my Ritek +RWs gives me any problems :)
  11. Zegna macrumors member

Dec 4, 2006
    North America
    I use Sony DVD-Rs and I can report to you that they work very well.
  12. julierules11 macrumors newbie

Feb 7, 2007
    i also haven't had a problem with this batch of sony dvd-r dics i purchased.play well in all the hardware i have.