Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I know that there is a book related to this somewhere, but would someone like to stay on topic? :D

Lately, I've been reading the phone book and my camera manual. They're quite exciting. :p

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
For those discussing religious texts earlier, I've moved it somewhere more appropriate: Religious Readings

I recently started "Shadow Puppets" by Orson Scott Card, after having finished "Ender's Shadow" and "Shadow of the Hegemon". I'm slowly working my way through his whole Ender series.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
bousozoku said:
Lately, I've been reading the phone book and my camera manual. They're quite exciting. :p
The phone book is excellent reading... I got through A and B at a party once... :D

There are some really silly names out there... that you appreciate even more when drunk at a really dull party...

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Rower_CPU said:
For those discussing religious texts earlier, I've moved it somewhere more appropriate: Religious Readings

I recently started "Shadow Puppets" by Orson Scott Card, after having finished "Ender's Shadow" and "Shadow of the Hegemon". I'm slowly working my way through his whole Ender series.

oops, sorry about that...i got carried away

anyway, i will also get back on topic :)

i was also curious what people had in their permanent libraries/bookshelves at home, too

jwp1964

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Enterprise, KS
Just started Winston Churchill's 4 Volume "A History of the English Speaking Peoples". The last book I read was Colin Powell's Autobiography. I noticed recently that my reading of books has gone down substantially as my internet life has increased...making a concerted effort to get back to books and reading. This one should take a while.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I read a biography on Winston Churchill a while ago, although the name escapes me at the moment. It wasn't a complete biography--just one that covered the time around when he became prime minister and was deciding how to handle Germany. Very interesting. Funny how he was able to make it into power just when the country seemed to need him the most and then he just kind of faded away after the war was over.

I like biographies in general. The biographies that Barnes & Noble distribute are pretty good, and sometimes you can find them at good prices in their bargain section. That's where I picked up the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (an interesting and witty read), a biography on Mozart, and a book on Escher.

I also like science books. I've got a few books on how the mind develops as well as one on forensic science. Fascinating stuff....

As far as fiction goes, I prefer the Classics, such as the likes of the authors Hardy, Elliott, Bronte, Orczy, or Austen (although after reading a couple of her books they're all essentially the same), but am not opposed to a good mystery (Christie, Doyle). And who can not like Harry Potter or a little Dave Barry??

Since getting married, the library has grown to include a lot of Dahl, Grisham, Calvin and Hobbes, and law books.

The rest are mostly just random books from the B&N bargain section that sounded interesting, books I got as gifts, religious books, and books from school--a bunch on networking, programming, and computer theory. Now there's a little night-time reading for you. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.