What brand of RAM is the best?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Balli, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Balli macrumors 6502

There seems to be a lot of choice when buying RAM, but is there actually ANY difference between them? What is the BEST RAM to choose? (Price doesn't matter).

Is there a website that has tried and tested all current RAM?
  2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Space-RAM from the future is really the best kind you can get. But for us non-time-traveling and Earth-limited folk, places like OWC and datamem.com have good RAM that's been tested and guaranteed to work in Macs. I'd start there. Also, do a forum search for RAM, there's a lot of helpful threads on the topic.
  3. macgeek77 macrumors regular

May 24, 2006
    I'd go with Apple (pricey but gaurenteed to work) or Crucial.
  4. Mattydj macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Well macrumors has a link near the top of the site labelled Crucial RAM.

They must be good :p
    Actually i'm off to buy some lol.
  5. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Feb 20, 2007
    North Dakota
  6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Oct 31, 2005
    Twin Cities, MN
    Crucial is one of the best in my opinion, never had a bad stick with them. OCZ is also pretty good. I like a lot of them, Patriot, mushkin, etc.
  7. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple charge £120 ($235.42) for 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - (2x1GB)

Crucial charge £86.94 ($168.72) for 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - (2x1GB)

Do they give the same performance? How much warrantee do you get from both companies on the RAM?
  8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Crucial has sort of a bad rep around here, though, since they use variable pricing or some nonsense where different people see different prices. I don't know if it's something they've stopped, but there are quite a few angry threads about it.

I got all my ram from DMS (datamem.com) or newegg, though that's a bit of a risk as far as compatibility goes.
  9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
  10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i wouldn't buy crucial ram from crucial, but i would buy crucial memory from newegg. i have no idea, though, if you're buying from the uk. :eek:
  11. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

Sep 8, 2005
    London , UK
    Not that I buy RAM regularly or anything but i always buy from crucial.

I choose free shipping and it comes in 24 hours, and there RAM has always performed great for me.

It ain't the cheapest but as I don't buy it everyday il pay the small price for the piece of mind.
  12. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    Crucial guarantees most of their products for life, so I'm sure the RAM is no exception.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    There is no 'Best'... A number of companies make good quality RAM.

What is more important than brand name, is getting RAM that is 100% compatible with your model Mac, with good seller support and warranty.

If you want to experiment with generic RAM (that is, RAM that the manufacturer does not state Mac compatibility for), fine, as long as you're good with doing your own testing and sending it back if it doesn't work. Make sure the seller will take it back for refund in the event.

The advantage of choosing a seller that guarantees compatibility is that you reduce the uncertainty and won't be out shipping or restocking charges if it has to be returned or replaced.

Crucial (and Kingston) only guarantee compatibility on their Mac-specific model numbers. A Crucial CT511222 and a Crucial CT12864AC667 from a discount seller may have the same specs, but Crucial guarantees compatibility only on the first. Similarly a KTA-MBP667/1G has Kingston's compatibility guarantee, their ValueRAM KVR667D2S5/1G does not.

If you are considering a internet vendor, check out their reputation here, and at resellerratings.com
  14. weldon macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I've always been partial to Corsair. I've built a few PC's using their stuff because it holds to spec and also overclocks well. When you're trying to get aggressive timings, good RAM is a joy. For Macs, the price from Apple when you configure your machine isn't too bad. After market is pretty high though, so I always shop newegg.com and read reviews to find people that have put the sticks in a Mac.
  15. LaDirection macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2006
    Apple sell sthe cheapest RAM (Micron, Samsung etc) at a hefty price, NEVER buy memory from Apple.

Kingston (not Kingston Value Ram) is by far the best and most reliable brand.