what breed of dog should I get?

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Aug 18, 2002.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have been wanting to get a new dog for a while but I have some specifics that I will clear up so y'all can help me make my decision:

It must be different The dog I want can not be a golden retriever or a lab - I want a dog that only 1 or 2 people out of every 100 dog owners have. I have been looking at dalmations just to let you know. But by different I dont mean ugly. A beagle isnt different - it is ugly. Sorry beagle owners :).

It must be small I already own 2 small dogs, and if this dog is 2 big I am afraid it will dominate my other dogs. Before anyone says 'why were you looking at dalmations if you want a small dog?' - well I was looking more specifically at miniature dalmations - which are basically non-existant. No more than 35 lbs.
    But not to small Chihuahuas are a little to small. I want a rat terrier sized dog (I own a rat terrier right now). A rat terrier size to a miniature lab size.

It must be inexpensive I love dogs but im not willing to spend more then $100 on them. I would prefer around $50. I would really prefer a free dog :D - but who wouldnt?

It must have short hair Long hair is such a hassle. I hate it. And also - I hate wire-haired dogs.

It must be payful but not to playful. if it must be jogged 1 hour every day so it wont be annoyingly playful then I dont want it. A medium amount of energy is fine.

It must be friendly towards other dogs I have 2 dogs, and I dont want them killed by whatever dog I get.

As for sex - I care not. I have 2 female dogs - just to let you know. I dont care about color.

I think that is plenty of info to make a suggestion. Thanks a lot.
    :)

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've had two mutts, mixed breeds now and absolutely think thats the way to go. It avoids the whole inbreeding problem, hip displatia (?), bad temper, etc.

When you do get a dog, if its a puppy, make sure you spend extra amount of time with it while its young - till 6 months old. The return in investment of your time will be noticeable.

D

3. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I recommend that you frequent your local SPCA until you find an animal that you like and that likes you; don't support puppy farms by wanting to custom-order an animal!

4. vniow macrumors G4

I have to agree with Duke, try to avoid a purebred because they can have serious problems as a result, like hip displacia. It's where the tendons connecting the hips to the hind legs aren't formed right so like in our purebred poodle, she can hardly jump and she's fat from just sitting around all day because it hurts for her to walk. It's sad what people will do to get a purebreed.

You should get a skunk. They make good housepets if you have enough time set aside for them, but make sure they've been demusked. Whew!
    :)

5. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I definitely dont want to support puppy farms. I have been looking at the SPCA and all the local Humane Societies/Shelters/Adoption/Rescue places - their websites at least.

As for getting a mut - they are to plain for me. As I said, I want something different. Muts are fairly common, but despite them being trustworthy, and usually very good dogs, they are to common.

6. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Can you really get skunks?!?! As pets!!! That is crazy. That is way too wierd. I think my dogs would kill it though :(, they tend to not be friendly towards skunks (I live in the country, so they visit us way to frequently :D.

7. vniow macrumors G4

You really can get them for pets, though it's illegal in some states. I was considering getting one, but I think my next pet purchace will be something smaller, like a pair of button quail. :)

8. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I have to recommend a ferret. Despite their smell (maybe even worse then a skunk :D - not really) they are good pets. You can sort of toss them around and despite that sounding cruel - it isnt. If you gently toss them around, then they enjoy it, and you do too. They are really fun - but we left a door open and ours ran away. That was a while ago and I dont picture Squeeky doing to well in the wild :(.

9. vniow macrumors G4

A ferret sounds like fun but everybody that I know that's ever had one said it was mean. Maybe they tossed them around too hard. :D
    I tried that with my iguanas before they got too big and I had to give them away cause I had to move :( but they were pretty fun. I took my biggest one outside every once in awhile and let my lab check him out. It's pretty funy watching a 100lb golden lab try to fight with a 3-foot long iguana that'll whack him with its tail if he got too close. :D Also took him for walks before he figured out how to get out of his leash. Lizards rule.
    :cool:

10. MacMaster macrumors 6502

hehe...in California you can only have up to 2 dogs...If you want more dogs you have to get a special kind of license(you have to pay and do alot of paper work). I don't know if it is the same for other pets...but that's just in California...;)

11. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

That sux. I had always had an interest in moving to California. I think I could live with just 2 dogs though.

12. vniow macrumors G4

They have it, but they don't really enforce it unless somebody complains, so if you have nice dogs that don't go around pissing everywhere, it's ok. I've got five, and nobody's complained so far. :)

13. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Exactly...

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

15. spinner macrumors regular

Miniature Schnauzers are great little dogs. Very fun and playful. The best part is that they shed very little hair, in fact hardly any. I have two of them and I wouldn't consider getting anything else. :D

16. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

whats wrong with a puppy farm? thats where i got my dog, and the guy is really nice to his dogs (he's a family friend). are they more disease prone or something?

17. dynamicd macrumors 6502

I think if you want a good dog and you don't want to spend more and $100 you might want to look into getting a different pet. Try going to the huamne society or some kind of animal shelter for one.

18. iGav macrumors G3

I have a Dalmation........ :) They're totally the best breed closely followed by Weimarraners.........

A couple of things with Dalmations though........ They're one of the most greedy dogs you'll come across.......... They're totally hyper......... and require and demand attention, also they're 'Carriage' dogs, this means that they can run for miles, and really need a good walk (3-5 miles) everyday or if you own a couple of acres then that should also do the trick..... they're also one of the most fantastic looking and intelligent breeds (you've seen the film..... heh heh) also they're one of the only breeds of dog that can truely smile when they're happy...... Although if ever needed to be, you'll unlikely find a more loyal or protective breed of dog, that can more than match the power of a Doberman Pinscher..........

19. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Re: what breed of dog should I get?

I got a suggestion...
    Get one of them fake dogs that you can put by the door to keep the wind from coming in :D :D

20. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Dont make me have to edit in

It must be real

:D

Dalmations sound awesome. That is what I want, but they are to large.

21. sturm375 macrumors 6502

In concept, the SPCA and Humane Sociaty are great, however if you have to leave the house (say for work) both will not let you have a dog here. Last time my parents went to get a new dog, we tried both. They had a beautiful Alaskian Huskie, however if you didn't want to make it an indoor dog, they wouldn't let you have it. At the time Both my parents worked, I went to school, and worked after, We had a fenced in yard, and yet they wanted us to keep it indoors! After that, I found it very hard to support such idioicy(sp). My advice, keep an eye out on the road (in the country) and look for some farmer whos dog had puppies, and wants to sell them.

22. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Get a Pit mix.

Before all you tree huggers go getting all huffy at me about agressive breeds let me start by saying that my wife was an Animal Control Officer for 2 years. After that she worked as a VA for the local SPCA. In all that time she found that the most easily trained, affectionate, intelligent dogs were Pits.

At this point there are a number of breeds that have been so overbred that they're FAR to much of a pain in the ass to consider. Some of these breeds I happen to be a sucker for (Chows) but I encourage you to avoid them:

Labs, Rotts, Retrievers, Dalmnatians, Ridgebacks, Poodles, Pomeranians, Chihuahuas, Jack Russels, Chows, Dobermans, German Shepards and Aussie Cattle Dogs all I DO NOT RECCOMEND.

If you must have a "Breed" I highly reccomend the SPCA or breed rescue programs and looking at the big dogs with the bad rapps. Typically it's not the individual tempermant but the breed history that colours perceptions.

The most bite-happy dogs are the high energy breeds like Aussie Cattle Dogs(#1), Labs, Poms, Chihuahua's, etc.

I DO NOT reccomend retrievers of any kind unless you own an tennis ball machine cuz they WILL NOT STOP FETCHING.

Above all else there are a few rules (you probably already know but I must).

All dogs need a fenced yard with water and shelter. DO NOT TIE THEM UP. SPAY AND NEUTER. I cannot emphasize that enough. SPAY AND NEUTER.

Other than that, you just have to be aware that it's like having a 3 year old that never grows up and ALWAYS wants re-assurance.;)