What brightness do you run your DS Lite at?

Discussion in 'Games' started by CubeHacker, Jul 20, 2006.

1. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Just curious what brightness other users run their DS Lite on, and how long your battery lasts at that brightness.

At first I was using a brightness setting of 3 as it seems to look the best, but my Battery Life wasn't all that great, especially when playing Wirelessly or over WFC. It was also a bit blinding at times when I was sitting in the dark.

Now i'm down to brightness 2 and though it doesn't look quite as nice as 3, the battery seems to last a lot longer.

2. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Full Bore and I still get great battery life. I mean I only play maybe half and hour to an hour aday, and i get about 5 days of battery life.
    Only problem was that My Batter display or what ever Is always full or dead. No medium what so ever...

What games do you play online. I wanted to try playing some WiFi games wiht people in other states, but I dont know what games can do that and how to do it in the first place.

3. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I play on 2 – not sure why, but it still looks good and the battery lasts ages.

As for online games – Mariokart DS is awesome online, and you can play people worldwide. Metroid Prime Hunters is supposed to be great, if you like FPSs. A lot of people on here seem to like Animal Crossing, which is online too.

4. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh i'm so cheap... I never bought Mariokart DS... Always wanted to.. Wouldn't it be awesome if they came out with N64 Smash for DS or an all new DS smash bros and able to play that online!!!?!?!? Man...

5. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

DS "light"

It depends on where i am playing and the lighting in that area. If iam in a dark room or something i will turn down the light because it is not so stressful on the eyes and there is no reason to run it at full power. But, if iam in a room with alot of light i will turn it up too see my screen better (obviously)...anywho I WANT THE WII TO COME OUT!

6. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Do you to kinda hate how you have to turn off the DS to go back to the menu system? Or is there a way to go back to the menu system right in Mario or what ever?

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I've settled for the second level but do go lower.

8. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

In the beginning I had it at level three. But it kinda blew out the colors on some of my GBA games, so I brought it down to two.

It seems like the ideal brightness/battery conservation balance.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Whilst it's still in the novelty phase I have mine at the full 4. But I do drop down to 2 for Castlevania or dark games.

10. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    most of time i play on 3, but when playing in the dark i drop it down to 2

11. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Same with me. The extreme brightness and color bleeding was too much. The 2nd setting seems to work best in any environment and batteries last forever! I don't even like the brightest setting anymore.

12. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I almost always have it set on full because I mostly play it at home so i can charge it whenever i need to. I only have it any lower if i'm in a dark place.

13. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

14. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

setting 4 for me. after getting used to it at that level, I just can't bear to have it any lower; even in darkness.

15. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

I'm at 3, however I duck to 1 when I can (late at night wiht just a lamp on).

But usually 3.

16. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Outdoors: full brightness
    Indoors: one lower than full brightness

I actually feel full brightness is too bright indoors, so much so that you start losing highlight detail. I just wish there was a faster way to adjust brightness. They buried it in the system menus, a button like on the GBA SP would have been much better.

17. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Full brightness all the time. I fugure if the battery craps out on me before my year waranty is up, ill just get a new battery from nintendo.

18. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Full brightness everytime I use it, be it indoors or out. I've never had the battery completely crap out on me. When I first got it, I played maybe 2.5-3 hours a day, and the charge light was always green. I charge it each night before I go to bed.

19. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I'm kind of cheap too, got my Mariokart secondhand (though new were sold out). It's worth it, even if I do always lose to the Japanese kids! Luckily, you can choose 'continental' or 'world' modes, as well as friend codes.

Now N64 Smash would be something... Apparantly the Wii version will be online :D

20. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh I might have to go pick it up.. Sounds like so much fun.

And yeah the Smash brawl is gonna probably be awesome, but imagine playing on your DS classic Gamecube Smash... MMMM tasty...

21. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I have mine set on "brightness 2" (of 4). Some Wi-Fi games don't seem to be so bad for the battery (Tetris DS) while others seem to drain it a lot faster (Metroid Prime: Hunters and Animal Crossing: Wild World).

22. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i don't have a DS lite yet. i'm selling my graphite GBA with the brighter screen on ebay and will be picking one up next week. (my ebay name is 'spamiam916' if u wanna take a look.) anyway, on the brighter GBA, i never found the need to put it on the brightest setting unless i was outside so i bet the DS lite will be the same. (i really like the concept of 4 brightness settings too.)

23. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

4 all the time. :cool:

maybe 2 or 3 when I'm playing in the dark. ;)

1 or 2 when the battery drops to red and I'm on the road. :eek:

24. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Max brightness all the time.

I guess it's partly because the old DS couldn't get nearly as bright, I feel I have to have it maxed :p

25. andriella macrumors member

Level 2. Sometimes the highest setting seems like overkill to me.