What brought you to Mac?

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, Feb 27, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

As users I am wondering why you choose apple, that is if you can even remember. For me it started out in school, because my high school had macs. I won't tell you what year that was becasue then it will give away my age, but we wanted a mac at home since my school had them. And my family is big into macs. I have used them ever since, I love them.

2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

what brought me to macs? more like who brought a mac to me...my uncle had a three year old fat mac he gave to us when i was four, and thats how it all began...

3. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

tell me, was it like learning to ride a bicycle?

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

my parents bought the apple IIe when it first came out... apple ever since :D

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

6. cmx08 macrumors regular

tired of XP and stupid no Hardware found...

i was tired of all this windows with even more windows telling me that the hardware was not found or that HD was not detected and had to open up the case and re-plug the Interfaces and powers.

12" iBook G3 900 made it for 59 days with me b4 i got the G4 800

I wanted something that will save space and at first i was shopping for windows laptop

Until I hit apple.com and found that they were sleek and same $ as windows.

So gave it a try and love it.

Jaguar was cool, but g3 900 was slow and was getting crazy becaue of it.

when i got panther in the g4 800 I couldn't get use to windows NOR JAGUAR because there what no expose

If i could buy it, I'll pay 100CAN$ for it. so even if panther had only expose I would still buy it for 179$ but I could also get it for 99$ with contacts =)

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

what brought me to macs?

Seeing it was back in 1983, it's hard to remember the exact reason. My wife was in nursing school and needed something that was easy to use. Just can't remember how we setteled on an Apple II E. I definitley don't remember even looking at any Window machines.

8. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

My reasons seem dumb now that I am writing them out. However, I am probably not the only one. I was first intrigued with macs because they were different. I kind of like being different. Also, I loved the way they look. This is what brought me to mac. However, the OS has kept me there.:)

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A Mac-using friend told me I ought to get a Mac when I was ready for my first home computer. I took the advice, and the rest is history.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Dr Q's got a good point - if someone is about to get their first computer, it would be a lot easier to sell them a Mac because you don't have to worry about their existing stuff being compatible.

Anyway, I was looking around for a laptop, and I wanted one with a decent video card. I went onto one of those comparison sites where it lists heaps of different brands, and the cheapest one with decent video was an iBook. I decided to get the $1349 12" 800 MHz, 256 MB RAM model, but ultimately ended up paying an extra $150 for the 14" screen. So, for a while, I had a top-of-the-line Mac :)

And even today, just over a year later, my G4 tower is still top of the G4 line.

11. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

What brought me to Mac?

Well, the first computer I ever used in elementary school was a Mac. When I was introduced to Windows later, around middle school, I looked dumb using Windows. Even though I am now very good at Windows, and I solve others' problems, I still look dumb using Windows. :) Oh yeah, I got sick of spending half of my computing time deleting viruses, deleting corrupted files, reloading the OS, and other crap.

So, I got a Mac. I've been happy ever since 7-4-2003. :)

Sounds corny, I know. The irony of the whole story is that Mac users are generally thought of as the people who are too dumb to use Windows... :confused:

12. alxths macrumors 6502

Longevity was the most important factor I considered when looking for a laptop about 6 months ago.. Apple seems to do a lot better than other companies in that respect... well, except for maybe IBM, but OS X was enough to help me overlook that.

13. coopdog macrumors 6502a

My G4 350 is running strong at about 10 years old! All orginal components, hard drive everything! I even ran a file server that maxed everything out on it for about 2 years. What a great machine!

14. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

uh....ten years ago, the switch was about to be made to PPC from motorola 68k....i think you may be exagerating just a little bit...

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

16. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Simple reason. Windows and its arcane annoyances.

17. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

xPress and Photoshop on an old Mac IIci...

...and when my dad bought a beige G3, I didn't want to touch Winblows anymore...

vSpacken

18. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I was so frustrated about PCs that I decided to switch.

Never regret.

19. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

I did work experience at an Apple software house and resellers, since I specified I wanted to work in computers.

At first, I was wondering about being at an Apple place, since I'd never used them before and thought they were only for creative professionals. Can't remember the last time I was SO wrong in a judgement!

Used an iMac 17in for 4 days, all the time seeing Apple technology around me - from iBooks to Powerbooks to Powermacs to 23in HD Cinema Displays to Airports and the new X-Serve. I was blown away!

It helped that the people were really cool, and answered all of the many questions I had.

Can't thank them enough!

peace.

20. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

It was 1984, and I was up in the Computer Science lab at school - the CS teacher bought in his new toy - a 128k Mac. He loaded up MS Flight Simulator, and we all fell in love...

The following year, I'd upgraded my ageing Apple ][e for a Mac 512KE - and it was the start of something special!

;)

21. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

22. sparky76 macrumors regular

Needed a laptop. Loved 17" PB's style. Switched. Easy. Then found OS X. Bonus.

23. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I guess a combination of two things, Windows XP stinking so bad, and OS 10.2. (I have always wanted to run UNIX, and IMO 10.2 is when OS X got good. (Although I have run Test Macs at my office since OS 9, my personal switch came with 10.2.))

24. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

1984. Saw Macpaint. Had to have.

Same thing here. We worked on Apple II s in school writing goofy code that would make flags of the world come up onscreen. One day I went to a friend's house and WOW - Macpaint, mouse, etc. Changed my life. I RAN home to tell my mom - who worked for IBM and excitedly told her all about it. She, being brainwashed by big blue said, "yeah, I've heard about those things - we're not getting one- they're like a big etch-a-sketch." So for a few more years I had to deal with our employee discounted ($1.5-2K) 1982 IBM PC... until my dad got into Macs. I had his old SE-30 in college and in between traditional medium art classes and early graphics classes (Photoshop 2.0) I slowly transformed into the Creative Director I am today! Plain and simple, the Mac gave me direction and literally changed my life.

I still have my SE-30 and run word or game on it once in awhile - love it - not as much as my PB 17 though:D

25. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

My dad used a IIci. My mom used a PC that had at least twice the clock speed. The Mac was so much obviously better, that when my dad got his next Mac, I got his IIci.

Somehow, it has switched, and I am running a faster mac. He now gets my old macs.:D