Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which browser are you using?

• Opera

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iCab

• OmniWeb

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Internet Explorer

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Netscape 4.X

• Netscape 6

• Netscape 7 (public beta)

• Mozilla

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I use IE5.2 because I have to for website design stuff and I did use Omniweb because of its AA but now I IE can do that I think IE will be my sole browser :)

Ensign

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Mozilla and its relatives are the fastest, and most standards compliant (which doesn't help since many developers have gotten lazy and write exclusively for IE).

Basically, if it doesn't work in Mozilla, it was coded wrong.

Omniweb, iCab, etc. offer some compelling features, but lack compliancy to the DOM and JS object models. Also, they have varying speeds in the range between Mozilla and IE.

IE has the best maturity and a good balance between functionality and features, however, like all M$ software, its crash prone, and ad friendly.

The speed I save in Mozilla not closing ad windows more than makes up for its vanilla appearance. Also, if you remove the 'chrome' folder from inside of your profile (in your /user/library/), and restart Mozilla, it looks much more 'AquaFied'.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Originally posted by Nipsy
Basically, if it doesn't work in Mozilla, it was coded wrong.
not true, it was either just coded to a different standard, or it could be something the browser just doesnt like....not that I'm saying the W3C doesnt/shouldnt have full reign, but just because something works in one browser and not another doesn't make it wrong. the set standard just doesnt always happen, yet things still work.....
I've had pages not render correctly/images not load/javascript NOT work on moz and NS, where on IE they work PERFECTLY. (this is on a PC....they pages also work great in NS and moz, but on when used on a solaris box....moz/ns on my mac give me same probs as the PC on these pages)

as for speed, on my mac IE is clearly faste than mozilla or NS. maybe its different for different models, but on my dual G4 500 1 gig ram, IE is about twice as fast. that and IE keeps most of its speed when i open 10 to 20 windows...moz and NS really slow down at this point

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Chimera your forgot...it's definitely the fastest and its pretty good now...well good enough for me to get rid of Mozilla and use it more than IE..

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Mozilla for me, I find it the most compatable next to IE, but unlike IE it has built in support to stop popups, if IE had that then I'd use it more.

Inhale420

macrumors regular
May 4, 2002
the 1.1a version of mozilla is pretty stable, i've been using it all week. unfortunately, there's still no dock notificiation for it's otherwise decent mail program.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
I've tried chimera, mozilla, netscape, and omniweb... and for one reason or another, I keep going back to IE...

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Mozilla and Chimera

I am finding the latest nightly builds of Chimera to be very stable. The Gecko browsers are exceptionally W3C compliant. I am not sure what gives people the opinion that one browser adheres to these (accepted) standards more than another. Clearly, only web developers who write to W3C standards actually know. The rest are tossers who state their opinions as fact and then feel comfortable that they are right.

Besides, since OW 4.1 came out, IE 5.2 stands alone as the slowest OS X browser. I could handle that if it were stable, but it isn't. It crashes more than any other piece of non-beta software I have. Thankfully, with Mozilla being so compiant and stable, I don't have to use IE more than about once each month. The only legitimate complaint I have ever heard about Mozilla was that it wasn't Aqua enough. With Navzilla and Pinstripe, that argument holds no water.

BTW, these threads often get heated, as people hate their dogmatic belief systems getting challenged. Know that I am stating facts as measured by performance on my system--a TiBook 667 with 512 MB of RAM. If your results vary, please post them.

Here are the three litmus tests for me (as I have stated elsewhere):

• TV Guide Listings (for speed--Go to "TV Listings" and; load the Satellite Listings; it's a large table; notice a) how quickly it loads and b) how quickly you can start to use the page)

• ESPN.com (for compliance--check the style sheets on the right below the headlines. IE and Mozilla render these properly. Chimera, OW, and others have trouble with them)

• CBS Sportsline (also for compliance--check the style sheet pulldowns under each sport; IE, Mozilla, and Chimera handle these just fine; OW does not)

The thing my standard has helped me realize best is that your browser has to be good at what you use it for. I use these three pages. As a result, Mozilla is the right browser for me. IE is wayyyy too slow rendering large tables (like TV Guide), OW has rendering problems, and Chimera has a few rendering and stability problems (although it's getting very close). Maybe if I used different sites, I would choose a different browser.

Also, tabs are a must. I will never switch back to a browser without tabs. Never.

In summary:
IE: Slow, compliant, no tabs, crash-prone
Chimera: Quick, rendering issues (a few), tabs, crash-prone
OW: Medium speed, rendering issues, no tabs, pretty stable
Mozilla: Fast, compliant, tabs, incredibly stable

Your mileage may vary.

Chris

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Mozilla and Chimera

Originally posted by chmorley
The only legitimate complaint I have ever heard about Mozilla was that it wasn't Aqua enough. With Navzilla and Pinstripe, that argument holds no water.
hehehe, I was one with that complaint, I hated the look of it, but as soon as I found the Navzilla skin I have been a Mozilla user ever since ;)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
please take no offense...

Is it just me, or are these browser threads getting to be a bit ridiculous?

This has to be the 3rd or 4th poll asking which web browsers people use.

They always turn into a flamewar between those who like to run a dozen browsers on their systems and those who stick to just one that works.

Why bother with this? It's almost as bad as creating threads on the mythical Apple PDA... :rolleyes:

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Re: please take no offense...

Originally posted by eyelikeart
Is it just me, or are these browser threads getting to be a bit ridiculous?

This has to be the 3rd or 4th poll asking which web browsers people use.

They always turn into a flamewar between those who like to run a dozen browsers on their systems and those who stick to just one that works.

Why bother with this? It's almost as bad as creating threads on the mythical Apple PDA... :rolleyes:

sorry man but until we get some more juice on the upcoming iWalk this is all we've got ;)

i just hope the silence from apple's headquarters doesn't last too long... i want just a little bit of a hint of what to expect from the Stevenote!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
don't care who I offend...

I use ie (5.2 now) because it simply works. It doesn't crash for me, but then again, I also maintain a healthy system. :p

That is what I choose to use, use whatever you want' but unless you have used the latest of ie, don't call it crap (or non-Scottish). It runs well on both my 800MHz TiBook and 733MHz G4 tower at work (pre-QS).

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by kishba
sorry guys i'm a loyal OW user... I'm incredibly anxious for production on v5 to start :D

i used to be too, until i realized i could view the HTML source and draw the page by HAND faster and more accurately than OW.

Chimera/Mozilla(orbit theme) for me.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: don't care who I offend...

Originally posted by AlphaTech
I use ie (5.2 now) because it simply works. It doesn't crash for me, but then again, I also maintain a healthy system. :p

That is what I choose to use, use whatever you want' but unless you have used the latest of ie, don't call it crap (or non-Scottish). It runs well on both my 800MHz TiBook and 733MHz G4 tower at work (pre-QS).
I'd never be offended because someone holds an opinion different from mine--the fact that we are critical thinkers is what makes us use a "different" comupter. I am curious why you choose to use it, though. Is it habit? Have you tried Mozilla 1.0? Is it something else? I have tried IE 5.2, and I have trouble seeing what its selling points are, except that it is familiar. Typically with an update to any browser, I try it for at least a day. I have to admit that I only gave IE 5.2 about 4 hours. It was just too slow compared to Mozilla. I also missed the tabs and hated dealing with the pop-under ads I had blocked in Mozilla.

I also maintain a healthy system, so I know that our different results have nothing to do with that. Nice dig, though. :rolleyes:

Chris

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
Like i said in my previous post, i keep going back to IE. I like mozilla. I don't like that it comes bloated with the other stuff. Now, is there anyway I can just install the mozilla browser without its email program and the other stuff? So, until I find a way to install just the browser itself, I'll be using IE. I'm just anal like that. btw, please don't tell me to use chimera. It's great and all, but not enough features compared to mozilla.

Anh

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Originally posted by sparkleytone

i used to be too, until i realized i could view the HTML source and draw the page by HAND faster and more accurately than OW.

Chimera/Mozilla(orbit theme) for me.

im also intrested to see what the oribit theme looks like.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Originally posted by chibianh
Like i said in my previous post, i keep going back to IE. I like mozilla. I don't like that it comes bloated with the other stuff. Now, is there anyway I can just install the mozilla browser without its email program and the other stuff? So, until I find a way to install just the browser itself, I'll be using IE. I'm just anal like that. btw, please don't tell me to use chimera. It's great and all, but not enough features compared to mozilla.

Anh

thats my question too. cant we trim all the fat around mozilla? i dont use have that crap.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Orbit theme/trimming the fat

Originally posted by krossfyter
im also intrested to see what the oribit theme looks like.
You can find the Orbit theme here. I used it for earlier releases, but haven't tried it with 1.0. It's cool-looking, but not aqua.

As far as trimming the fat around Mozilla, other than downloading a nightly build (typically fine, but not for those who are easily frustrated), I don't know if Mozilla can do that for the Mac. The Windows installer lets you control what gets installed (as the 9.x version did), but I'm not sure there is an easy way to do it for OS X.

There are ways (e.g., building your own), but they're not simple enough to be used by most people.

Chris

p.s., this is what orbit looks like

Attachments

• crop_tp_preview.png
    crop_tp_preview.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 131

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Mozilla just plain kicks ash! I have version 1.0 with a Pinball theme installed to cheer me up and I am absolutely enjoying it. I don't use OmniWeb, since it's not as fast. I don't use IE, since I try to keep my computer untouched from m$ applications. And I don't have Chimera, since I think it's a bit too early in beta to try it out. Besides, I can stick around with Mozilla for as long as I need to.

Now if only Mozilla made all the buttons and s!!t look more like the Aqua theme of OS X, as OmniWeb does, while maintaining its speed and it's current features, I would NEVER change browsers again (well, maybe).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.