What Bugs You About Your Neighbors?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Jul 14, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I wish my neighbors would keep their lawns edged and have their cars off the street on street sweeper day. What about you?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Mines a pot-addled hippy but she's quiet, doesn't really bother me at all. No problems here.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

*looks around*

I wish my neighb--oh yea, I don't have any neighbors... :cool:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I love my neighbour. <- I read that in a book somewhere...

5. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

My neighbors are really nice, though I feel its me that they would complain about. Four college guys in a quiet neighborhood thats begging for trouble.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No one bugs me at all. But in my old place the one that did was the one who yelled at her kids daily. It made me sad.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Instead of grass, my neighbors have shredded wood covering their entire front yard, with a few random plants placed randomly.

Recently they cut down one of their trees, and shredded it (leaves and all) and used it as a ground cover. Now, there is shredded wood and dried leaves everywhere. It looks terrible. :mad:

...But I got my revenge by calling the fire department and reporting it as a fire hazard. They should be getting a letter any day now. :D

The owners of this house are getting ready to rent this house for the third time. They have yet to pick good renters, and I doubt they will this time. :mad:

All of my other neighbors are great :)

8. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

No problems whatsoever. One even pays me $70 a week to watch her kids. We're not friendly with most of them, because most of them stay locked in their houses. All the cool neighbors moved away a while ago.

9. CompUser Guest

Our really annoying neighbors moved away. One time our dog escaped from his invisible fence, ran down to their house, and when trying to play with one of their pet chickens made a gash in its back by scratching it. We offered to pay for the chickens medical bills ($600, you could buy a new chicken for $1.50). Luckly the vet is our other neighbor who is cool. He said he had chickens and dogs before and 3 days after he got the chickens, the dogs killed 2 of them, so he did the medical work for free.

We also have these other neighbors. They always complain about the littlest things. They go to the BOE meetings in our town and their kids don't even attend the public schools.

Our beach house neighbors are very... trashy. They have a beach house but they apparently cannot afford to maintain it. They have a summer place but as my mom says, they have "watched too much HGTV". They have this horrible landscaping in their front yard. In the back they have 2 motor boats, a hobbie cat, and bunches of small crappy row boats. They also have a mattress, tent, various bikes, and other crap in their back yard. meanwhile all the other houses on the street are all clean cut (and painted).

Here are some pics. My mom seriously has considered going over there and fixing there yard for free. There house is a hovel, and it does not fit the neighborhood.

Attached Files:

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The one downstairs in my new place smokes on the balcony. Doesn't smoke as much as my old roommate did and at least it's not menthols.

But it was annoying last night when a whiff of his smoke set off my fire alarm for a second. :eek:

11. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Ones to left.. they're awesome, nice people. The only problem is they hate yard work and dont like to pay to get it done so there yard looks trashy at times. The ones to right. Annoying oldies that stiill think that im like 6 years old. Ones behind, dog is really annoying, barks a lot and digs holes under the fence. Across the street, they are really really nice people but something about that is just a little off.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't have this situation with my new neighborhood, but in my old neighborhood one thing that really bugged me was having neighbors that simply did not take care of their lawn, house, etc. To me it really looks bad, and more importantly, I think it has an effect on the property values of the surrounding homes (including mine!) for anyone wanting to sell. Luckily I'm in a great, quiet neighborhood now with a lot of retired people as neighbors, so I have no complaints whatsoever. :cool:

13. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

I love my neighbors, albeit, they are my grandparents. :D

14. Lau Guest

Ooh, I've had some choice ones over the years.

My second flat in Edinburgh, next door neighbours were drug dealers, and would have giant screaming rows with each other all the time in the stairwell. Oh, and someone came to our door with what looked like a shotgun wrapped up in a rug looking for the guys next door. Which was rather exciting. :rolleyes:

Our flat in London was probably the worst - we had to walk through their flat to get to ours (something the landlord had failed to mention, and it wasn't obvious when we viewed it) but they played Bob Marley all the time. So loudly that it was louder in our flat than I would listen to music. And it was the same album. Over and over again. Every day. They moved out after 4 months, and were replaced by some folk that I suspect were up to fairly dodgy dealings, but they were quiet, and friendly, and I was very happy to have them be our neighbours. :D

Our last flat in Bath had neighbours upstairs who were really old, and would put on Kenny Rogers "While The Feeling's Good" on repeat, (yes the single song) and then have really really loud elderly sex. One memorable night at 1am all we could hear was "**** me! **** me!" over and over again. I will never, ever, be able to hear that song again without retching. They were really nice though, and it didn't happen very often. I just could never look them in the eye though.

Oh, and in Bath, there was a revolting little troll of a woman who had a little dog that she never managed to keep in the garden, and when it got out would stand at the end of her garden and shout "Gizmo! Gizmo? GIZMO! Gizmo? Gizmo! Gizmo... Gizmo! GIZMO! Gizmo! Gizmo. Gizmo! Gizmo? Gizmo! Gizmo... At 2 in the morning. Or 8am on a Saturday. Until Gizmo came back. I always wished Gizmo would run away from her forever, or bite her face off.

Our new flat's fine in the evening, but the people below play loud dance music (on repeat as well - what the hell is wrong with these people?!) during the day on weekdays. As we won't be there, it's not the end of the world. And it's just as loud as the Marley players, but doesn't travel as much. You've gotta love Scottish tenement buildings. Ours was built in 1890, apparently, and is solid as anything, and so sound doesn't really travel too badly between the flats.

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Mine are pretty good aside from the very, very loud people who have the terrace next door and unsurprisingly want to spend time on it.

I just wish they'd realise that not the rest of the neighbourhood doesn't want to hear all their adventures or their music when we have our windows open. They'd be awesome public speakers since their voices carry incredibly well.

Everyone else is pretty cool. When I was mugged outside, I think there was a representative from every house outside in their underpants (at midnight) to check all was OK and chase the perp down the road. It was a v unusual occurrence in the area!

16. Lau Guest

The image of you surrounded by all your neighbours in y-fronts is amusing me right now...:D

17. Queso macrumors G4

Ours are cool right now. There's 10 flats in our section of a complex, and we're a mix of English, French, Irish, German, Bangladeshi, Russian, Senegalian, Chinese, Australian, Turkish and American, which is pretty typical for London :)

Go back a couple of years we had a few horrors, like the drug addict who had dealers turning up at all hours kicking her door in, and two clubbie brothers who were always rowing whilst off their faces at 3am, but they all moved on. The druggie left after her boyfriend walked into our local A&E department with a machete. He got sent down for three years, she moved back in with her mother; and one of the two brothers killed himself in a car crash whilst driving under the influence.

The joys of living in the West End :cool:

EDIT: Forgot the two Chinese students who flatshare with the Australian during the UCL term.

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It was the guy across the road who made me chuckle most. He'd jumped in his car and driven off in the direction of the thief. His wife came out and said 'I'm not sure what he's going to do if he catches him, he's only wearing his pants'

I think that mental image of this middle-aged guy in his Y-fronts facing down a teenage punk definitely lightened the mood.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

one of my neighbors is great. love 'em, except their four year old who has quite a pair of lungs. and she is loud all the time.

other neighbors are just weird. no other way to describe them to be honest.

20. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

our neighbours are quiet, elderly people. some have kids, which they play outside on their lawns, all pretty quiet and not distracting whatsoever.

However, about 4-5 years ago, about 2 houses to the left, there was this woman that would complain to all the neighbours, ALL THE TIME, about anything that disturbed her natural living space lol. One time, we were told by our neighbour in front that she complained to her because her air conditioning wouldnt let her sleep at her house. umm wtf? she lives about 5 houses down and you can hear the air conoditioning? yeah right :rolleyes:

also, our dog, a beagle, always barks whenever something is out of the ordinary, not for anything less. He barks when there are suspicious people outside our home, when theres a possum or lizard in the backyard. 3 years ago he barked at about 1am because there was a car outside, hitting the back of a tree of the lawn of a house. Turns out the car didnt have the handbrake on, and rolled back into the tree. But our dog spotted that something was wrong :p Well this neighbour came to our door once, talked to my dad and said 'she cant sleep with the dog barking every single night, and if he continues to do it she'd kill him'

....... a few weeks passed, she moved out, never had any problems since :p

21. Queso macrumors G4

Are you sure she moved out? Sounds like someone got fed up with her "barking".

22. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

hahahah probably, we got told by our neighbour in front that she moved out, thats all, but your probably right :p

23. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Neighbors to the right - an old guy who likes to park his dump truck on our narrow street, his wife who apparently owns no other clothes than a moo-moo, and their four grandchildren, the eldest of which is perhaps fourteen. When the old guy isn't driving his dump truck about or yelling at the top of his lungs, he watches television in his carport in a recliner.

Neighbors to the left - an immigrant family of about 15 who are apparently of the opinion that a) everyone should love Spanish pop music b) and the louder the better, and c) the later at night they play it the better. They also like to hang towels out to dry on their bushes, and I've caught one of them trying to pillage my vegetable garden. We also think that one of the immigrant kids is sleeping with one of the old guy's grandaughters; we've seen him slipping in/out the window in the wee hours of the morning.

Fortunately we won't be living here much longer; as soon as we find a new house we're out of here.

24. bartelby macrumors Core

Both sides of us are rented houses. Neither side really do any work in their gardens. We're fighting a losing battle against creepers and brambles in our garden as the main plants are in the other gardens.

Apart from that the ones on the right are ok.

The ones on the left are a pain in the ass.
    There was, until last week, 3 of them sharing. Each had cars and they'd continually park in such a way that they'd take up 5 cars worth of space with 3 cars.

One of them, the guy, continually shouts and screams at all hours of the day. He's regularly loud until 3 or 4 in the morning.

There's lots of other little things too.

25. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

my neighbors are nice people, but at night, they turn on this light on their driveway..
    it lines RIGHT up with my window and is the FREAKING BRIGHTEST THING I've ever seen.

Makes it hard to sleep... Grr.