1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

What cable do i need to connect to an external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Aksta, Nov 18, 2011.

  1. macrumors regular

    I was planning on getting a monitor to connect to my macbook air 13. I am currently looking at a dell u2711 or a hazro hz27wd. Whihc cable would i need to make full use of the resolution offered by these screens? Also where can i get these at a reasonable price in the uk.

    No silly posts like check google or search old threads as i have already tried.
  2. OllyW, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011



    Staff Member

    It all depends on the connection on the monitor you are going to buy.

    Apple sell adaptors for Mini DisplayPort to VGA and DVI.
  3. macrumors regular

    reading the links above i am making out that i need a mini display port to dual link dvi adaptor. is this correct?
  4. #5
    I guess, if the 27" Dell display has a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixel and offers no MDP input.

    Now that I looked at the display's specifications, I see, that it also has a DisplayPort input, thus: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=md....,cf.osb&fp=aed4f6f1c0fc3fdf&biw=1629&bih=922
  5. macrumors regular

    Thanks! this is a lot cheaper than a dual link dvi and will make my buying decision easier as the dell will work out about the same price as the hazro.
  6. macrumors regular

    Monoprice.com has inexpensive cables and adapters
  7. macrumors 68040

    If you go with the Dell, and you're in the US, definitely check out monoprice.com. Here's the link to the cable you will need.

    Internationally, shipping might increase the cost substantially, so check for the same cable from local vendors.

Share This Page