What camcorder?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wonga1127, Jan 25, 2007.

1. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Hey, I want to get into filmmaking, probably just some skits, maybe some short films, and I want a good camera, but I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Really anywhere from 400-800 would be good. HD is optional. Anyone have any ideas which would be best?

2. ShermDog macrumors regular

Try doing some research on www.camcorderinfo.com. They have extensive reviews and might help you in making your decision.

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Try the Panasonics. If you're aiming at a camera that doesn't record HD (and at your price range you probably aren't), the PV-GS400 or GS-500 are awesome. I used to own the 400, and I loved that thing. Sony's tend to be overpriced, and the Canons, while good, really don't stand up to the Panasonics in terms of low light recording. Best advice I can give you is to go to Circuit City, and play around with them. Go read the reviews at camcorderinfo, as Sherm Dog suggested, and make your decision on that. Look at battery life, whether they have 3ccds (better color reproduction), and low light performance.

4. toddburch macrumors 6502a

I thought I had found the camera of my dreams - the Canon HV10, until I read the reviews. :( It picks up it's own noise and there is no plug for an external mic. Still looking myself.

Todd