what camera(s) do you own/love?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kishba, Apr 7, 2002.

1. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

as i wait for an apple branded camera, i'm looking at other options for a digital camera (not camcorder)

what cameras do you guys own/use/love/cherish/etc?

i personally would like to get a digital camera but i don't mind hearing about cool film cameras :)

2. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Love my fuji finepix 2600. I am not a serious photographer, i just like capturing memories

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

That Fuji is a great camera for the price, but the canon elph is more of my cup of tea. It's much smaller, has a lithium battery instead of NiMH, can be viewed directly on a tv, takes small (crappy) movies with sound and is very light considering it's made of durable metal. It's a hundred bucks more, but worth it. ($399 v the Fuji @ $299) We just discontinued those at compusa, so I don't know if there is a new one coming out.

The price just dropped on the Sony S75 from $699 to $499. You will not find a better digital camera for that price. It beats the pants off of any competitor (olympus) for $500. It has a carl zeiss lens, great CCD for amazing clarity and color and has all of the manual features you could want as well as an amazing macro (close up) mode. That's the camera I really want right now, but the elph is a lot more pheasable for the cost.

-Pete

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

like i said on a different thread, "i want a digital elph"

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Cameras

I have a few cameras

My Sony TRV-30 is a Mini DV Camera, and a 1.6 megapixel still-shot camera. It has a 64MB chip, so it holds about 30 high quality photos.

Also have a Canon GL-1, only used for broadcasting.

Have 2 Minoltas, one is newer, and the other is a few years old. The older one is a little better, but I am not sure of the model.

6. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

Love This Thing

My Quicktake 200 :) The only Real Apple Digital Camera!

7. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

I bought a canon G1 for $450 in Jan, and I love it!

I also have a canon rebel G that I bought 4 years ago. (film)

They are both excellent cameras. I have never had a problem with them.

8. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

I have a canon elura 2 mc, and it sucks. It is great when it works well, but i get this "Remove Cassette" error for no good reason. I sent it back to canon, got it back and still doesnt work I guess it goes back to canon

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

4got!

I also have an Apple Quicktake. My brother has it so I am not sure which model it is! :D

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i don't have a digital camera, but i was thinking of getting a Kodak 2 mega pixel. what does everyone think, does it sound ok?

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: what camera(s) do you own/love?

I'll repeat the Canon Digital Elph recommendation...

With advancing technology, you've got to draw a line somewhere.... my thoughts are that cameras need to be small and convenient if your goal is to take as many pictures as conveniently as possible.

The digital elph has a very small form factor, good rez for prints etc... and is a very practical camera. Sure, you could get a high-rez/bulkier camera... but if you don't carry it around with you - there's no point in having it.

ie. I'd rather have slightly less quality images... rather than no images.

That was my reasoning in getting the Sony PC-9 Digital Video camera as well.... small camera.... sure, you could get a Optical stablization, 3 ccd etc... for not much more... but the size would get signifcantly bigger

arn

12. iGav macrumors G3

I have a JVC DVX7 it's an upright dual cam, and I love it, very compact, retro/modern looking, well built.....Firewire and full DV control from my mac...

It also have complete manual overide, so I can control shutter speeds, film speeds, focusing etc....... I much prefer this instead of Automatic overide... also it means that you can get superb effects at source as opposed to Post work.....

I generally don't shoot stills........(I don't think I'm a very good still photographer) I prefer filming and talking stills from the films, (I believe I am a pretty good cinematographer)......... but it's handy having the DSC function so that I can take stills if required, also has a built in flash, and flash card, so this is quite handy as well!!

I know you said just a dedicated still cam, but I love mine enough, so thought why not......;)

13. vitruvius macrumors regular

my digital elph is great

Yeah u are right arn, i have a digital elph and its a great camera, it match pretty well with my PBG4 ( i love the mix between hi-tech and 50's design, this is by far the best design for this kind of camera) and if u are concerned about resolution u can use the great panoramic maker canon software that comess with it ( i dont know if other cameras/softwares do the same, but the first time i saw it working i looked like magic to me) it isnt usefull in all cases but it still is a great help

------------------------------
    is that the new PowerBook G4?
    -yess...
    can i see it?
    -no... it'smine...mine.....my precious..

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My Kodak DC4800. Even though its digital, it has manual control of appeture and shutter speed which is great for depth of field. And its B/W option shoots closer to the real film than any other digital camera I've seen.

Its bulkier than the Elph, but I have a regular Canon Elph.

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

my cameras...

I recently purchased a Nikon N65 (35 mm) with a 28-80 mm lens...still waiting on getting the macro lense (300 mm)... here are the specs for anyone interested... Nikon N65

I also own an older 35 mm...Minolta XE-5...fully manual...58 mm lens...not too shabby for a 26 year old camera..

a Kodak 4100 APS...a great point and shoot camera...not worth using for quality shooting though...

and finally my Polaroid!! he he he...:p

if anyone would like to see my work thus far...
    eyelikeart's submitted files
    the B&W's were taken with the Minolta...the few colors were actually done with my Kodak APS...I have about 30 images awaiting approval which were taken with my Nikon recently...

16. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I have a SONY DSC-F505V and I wouldn't trade it for anything....

Its the best camera I could find... It was $1000 new a few years ago; You may be able to get one used for about $300 on ebay or $500 new. I use it like crazy and must shoot 500+ photos a day... It takes so much abuse from me it isn't even funny... There are tons of upgrades for this if you want; and the sony name is as good as they get...

Let me know if you have any questions....

http://www.epinions.com/614730_Sony_DSC_F505V_Cyber_Shot_Digital_Still_Camera

C-

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: my cameras...

Nice work!

How is iStock, btw? I've got some great shots I wouldn't mind getting some money for, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I've made several poster sized Iris prints from 2 so far and sold one. The ¢5 for each download seems a little low though unless you have a lot of images and downloads.

One of favorite shots, Fiji, '98 - imagine this at 40x30

Attached Files:

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: my cameras...

19. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I just got a Kodak DX3700 3.1 Megapixel on sale at Sears and it seems to be a great point and shoot camera for under $250. Works awesome with iPhoto as well. Very clear pictures for a good price.

20. Timothy macrumors 6502

My cameras...

I LOVE my Canon G1.

Some of the great features of this camera are the LARGE capacity battery that lasts seemingly forever, and the ability to use the IBM microdrive for storage. I have a 340 mb card, and for my purposes, that is a perfect size. I can take about 250 full-rez photos at a single photo shoot. This allows me to be shutter-happy, and then just weed out all of the bad shots. Want a great picture? Take 100, and keep the best 1.

Additionally, it has full manual override, and a hot-shoe for an external flash. The body style has that same "retro" traditional camera look that others have mentioned here. Overall, I am a prosumer, and I love this camera. It (and other cameras mentioned here) are why I don't see any need for an Apple-branded digital camera.

I also own a Canon Elura, and for my purposes, it is great. It has been really solid for me, and very easy to learn/use. As a side note, I originally bought this thinking that I could use it for stills as well...that idea faded once I saw the quality of the stills it was taking. They were horrible. But, I think this is getting better with newer models. But, it appears that you still need 2 cameras if you want good stills and good video.

21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Re: my cameras...

:p thanks!! istockphoto is pretty cool thus far....it was once totally free, however heavy traffic forced them to start charging .25¢ per download (giving .5¢ to the artist and the site keeps .20¢ for costs of the server)...much like macrumors has grown into something much bigger than arn ever imagined I'm sure... ;)

and I know .5¢ isn't much for efforts...but when u think about it...free exposure and advertising is the best kind as long as it's in your favor! :p

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Re: my cameras...

23. Tommy! macrumors regular

I have a broken JamCam 2.0 that I used to love :(

If I get a 'real' digital camera, I think i'm going to get a canon, because I love my EOS350 and EOSix film cameras. Does anyone have bad experiences with Canon digital cameras?

24. boobers macrumors regular

Canon makes the best ccd

i can't stand looking at the sony cameras..great glass on them but they look like they would be annoying to hold..nikon has always been my favourite film camera( i own an F70) but when i compared the Nikon Coolpix5000 to the Canon G2..well the Canon wins in my opinion, by virtue of its CCD( remember the CCD equals the film)..if you wanna go a step up from that one you can take a look a the Canon D60 ( too rich for my blood) 6megapixel..problem is for full magazine print this best of the best will only produce an image of 300dpi about 4x5" so its noot good enough for doing magazine spreads.. :( anywho..i'm going for the G2 for web stuff and to use it in conjuction with the F70 to test lighting conditions polaroid style!
    boobers

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have a Fuji 4700 (4.3 MegaPixels), it's great!
    Picture quality is fantastic and with a 64Mb Smart Media card you can get around 36 top quility pics on it :D .