What camera should I buy?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Vector, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I am looking for a new camera. Up until now i have been using a Nikon (film) camera, but am looking to buy a new digital SLR camera. Here are the requirements I am looking for:

- 6MP or greater
    - very fast and slow exposure rates
    - use 1Gb compact flash cards
    - rechargable battery
    - all adjustments found on you're standard professional film camera
    - Manual and automatic exposure modes
    - $1000 or less with or without included lens
    - preferably Nikon or Canon unless someone has a better suggestion

I know that many of you here have discussed professional digital cameras and any buying advice would be very useful to me.

I plan to use to camera for macro shots, landscapes, architectual detail shots, fast motion shots, and blurred slow shots. The ability to adjust f-stops, aperature, exposure, and sharpness are very important.

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I would just get the d70. I love that camera. And if i wouldn't of spent so much money on my 24p Panasonic, i would get that to test my photography skills.

kyle

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

4. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Canon is reportedly announcing the successor to the Digital Rebel (300d) sometime during February. I wouldn't buy any dslr until they announced the specs on that new puppy.

5. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Although I'm a Fuji fan, the the criteria you listed matches the D70 perfectly. I have it, and can recommend it- especially the lens kit. It comes with a great lens!

6. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Canon 20D is the current winner on image quality (8 mp, far less noise at high ISO's, razor sharp), speed (virtually as responsive as a film camera) and general build quality & robustness. Beats the 300D hands down on all points and the D70 as well.

Costs more though.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

d70

end of discussion... one of the best digitals i've shot with, regardless of price point. you won't be dissapointed

8. cwright macrumors 6502a

do you have any more information about this? I was debating between buying the 300D or the D70, and if the 300D's replacement is out soon, I would most likely go for that. I know most people are saying the D70 is the better camera, but I'm more familiar with the Canon's (used 10Ds and Digital Rebels all through high school).

Should we expect the 300D's replacement to meet and beat the D70, and if so, do you think the price will still be at around $1,000?

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since you're already familiar with Nikon, you don't want to move to a Canon camera since they work in somewhat unusual ways. The only camera in that range is the 300D and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

The D70 is a good camera. You should also look at the Olympus E-300.

10. Vector thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vector

Well, i didn't mention any specific cameras in my first post because I wanted actual opinions, not just "oh yeah thats a great camera".

Anyway, i have been looking at the Nikon D70 for a while and think i will probably get it. I really like the specs on it, and everyone here seems to think it is a very good camera.

So, unless anyone has another opinion to add, i will be buying the D70.

11. Vector thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vector

Now that i have decided on the D70, can anyone recommend a good macro lens?

12. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro for short distance. Sigma 105mm f2.8 for longer distances.

Also, note a $200 rebate on the D70 with the kit lens, which is a SUPER bargain for $1099 now (*after rebate)

If you need any D70 advice, I have tons. HIt me up.

m

13. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Word on the grapevine is a Feb. 14 announcement and March 4 release date. It's only a rumor, but hey. This is a rumor board! :)

Since the specs have not yet been released, an assesment of the 300d's successor head to head with the D70 is impossible.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=12121137

14. Vector thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vector

I looked at the 105mm Nikon macro lens and the 50mm Nikon lens. Nikon's 50mm f1.8 seems like a steal at $100 on amazon. The Nikon 105mm f2.8 is $659 on amazon.

The Sigma 150mm is $599, but the nikon is about the same amount since they have a $75 rebate right now. The Sigma 50mm is around $240.

Why do you recommend the Sigma lenses over the Nikon lenses. I am not partial to either 150mm lens, but the price difference on the 50mm is significant.

15. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

what is the delay between "clicking" and the camera actually taking the picture in these cameras?
    That is what has put me off completely with digital cameras so far: it is almost impossible to take a candid shot.
    of course I have never tried the high-end ones.

what about the foveon technology? it was supposed to be the next big thing a couple of years ago.

16. Dan H macrumors newbie

Dan H

Don't Panic: DSLR's have virtually no delay (at least the ones I have used), and if there is a microsecond delay, you learn how to anticipate a shot. I'm not sure what causes the delay in P&S cameras, but a loophole is to hold the shutter down half way all the time, and then depress it when you want your picture. It kills the battery faster, but it works.

Vector: D70 is prolly your choice as of now. It sounds good for what you want it to do.

/daniel

17. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

sony T1, T11, and JDM T3

any got comments or feedback about those?

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm surprised that was a Nikon macro lens for under $100. If it wasn't, then your price comparison against the Sigma macro is invalid.

Nikon have several ranges of lenses, depending on the purity and quality you want. I doubt Amazon.com goes very far up through them.