What camera to get?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iQuit, Jul 23, 2005.

1. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

The Nikon CoolPix 7900 or the Canon Powershot SD500. I am really liking the Nikons features.

1.I am not a COMPLETE amateur to point and shoot digital photohraphy

2.I am looking around the 300$ range and I get good deals off eBay;). and bundles with like a case and extras.

3.I want the best 7 megapixel camera unless there is a 5.0 or 6.0 MP camera with a better lens that takes better pictures

4. I have checked reviews and they all seem like personal opinions

5.I have a Canon Video Camera that I use w/ my Mac

6.Overall what is the best camera for me? Thanks for any help

What I will be using it for?

1.Highschool
    2.chilling with friends
    3.traveling
    4.day to day life and such as that...I love taking pictures though but I need a new point and shoot, and I want options...and a good thing is the lens...the quality of the lens.

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

My vote is for the Canon. I did a fair bit of research when I initially purchased my digital camera (Canon Digital Elph S410) and the Canon's constantly ranked high. Subsequently, I have no complaints about my purchase. For your intended uses, I'd say the Canon would suit you just fine.

I assume in all your research you checked out Digital Photography Review? I have found that site to be a wealth of information - a huge amount of detail, and the detailed side-by-side comparisons are an excellent tool.

Good luck with your purchase!

3. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Leica M6 ought to do with a summicron 35/2. Digital is over rated. ;)

4. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Here is my dilemma....quality over features. I love Canon and they are very high rated....by the way I check reviews on that site. The Canon and Nikon seem good in their own ways...I have never tried a Nikon but have heard great things....and I already own 2 non digital Canon Cameras.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/coolpix5900_7900-review/index.shtml

Scan by that review and check out the features it has. See some of those I can really use.

5. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I want a higher end Digital....not like a Cybershot. I want a camera that can suit just about all my needs, even very good closeups. It is so hard and I need a new camera soon. Those two cameras seem to be good but I know there are also so many other brands.

My main conscerns

1.Lens
    2.Features
    3.Quality
    4.Zoom,not digital but optical
    5.Nice clear LCD

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

As a Nikon owner (not the one you're looking at, however), I can assure you they're great cameras too. :D

7. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Well after looking at over 50 cameras I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Nikon 7900 and Canon SD500, hopefully those are two good cameras,now the hardest part is picking from the two. Some where I saw a camera...and you can change the color of objects all through the menu.

8. ksz macrumors 68000

If you're looking for a slightly higher end digital camera, have a peek at the Olympus C-7070 which can now be purchased for $350 at buydig.com (very reputable) or other online retailers. For this price, it was no contest for me. It has a 4x optical zoom from 27mm to 110mm -- that wideangle makes a big difference!

Here are 65 user opinions: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=oly_c7070wz

9. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Thanks guys for all of the replies... I am still thinking though. I am going to sleep on it. Goodnight guys. Thanks again.

10. kant macrumors 6502

From the above mentioned steves-digicams.com. I removed from the lists the entries with equivalent features:

Powershot SD500 Features:

* Ultra-compact and durable stainless steel body (3.4 x 2.2 x 1.04 in.)
    * Continuous 2fps shooting until memory is full
    * Movie mode w/sound 30/15fps 640x480/320x240 unlimited length
    * Fast Frame Rate Movie recording, 320x240 at 60fps
    * Shutter speeds of 15 seconds to 1/2000 second
    * Voice memo (up to 60 secs) can be attached to images
    * Built-in microphone and speaker
    * Lithium rechargeable battery and charger included
    * Direct print and PictBridge Compliant
    * High-speed USB 2.0 connectivity for PC and Mac
    * Secure Digital (SD) card storage, 32MB supplied

Coolpix 7900 Features at a Glance:

* Compact, durable and lightweight aluminum alloy body
    * Single, Continuous, 5-shot buffer, Multi-Shot 16 modes
    * 640x480 @ 30fps movie mode with Vibration Reduction and sound, length limited only by memory card capacity
    * Attach voice memos up to 20 seconds to still images
    * Automatic shutter speeds from 1/2000 sec. to 4 sec's
    * Exif 2.2 and PictBridge compatible
    * 14MB internal memory and SD memory card slot
    * Plug-n-Play USB connectivity [from farther down the review: USB (12Mbps, effective speed: approx 2Mbps), mass storage or PTP]
    * PictBridge direct-print compliant
    * Optional WP-CP4 underwater case

For me, the Canon wins these features hands down. These three are the ones that would, for me, eliminate the nikon:

usb2 vs usb1
    longer voice memos
    that 60fps movie mode for sports.

11. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

wtf only one person mentioned Phil over @ dpreview

More informative and better then steves imho, I read steve's when I'm bored and want to look at more camera reviews.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thank you. ;) Yeah, I've always found that to be one of the most useful, comprehensive sites out there. :cool:

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i just bought a nikon coolpix 8800 and i love it.
    i got it from cameta camera (I got it from their actual store on Long Island) and i would buy again from them in heart beat. They sell in packages which is nice.

14. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

The D-Lighting feature is Nikon's name for a "digital flash". This lets you brighten dark areas of your photos that could be caused by strong backlighting or insufficient flash coverage. Here's an example of how it works:

[​IMG]

without D-Lighting

[​IMG]

with D-Lighting

See I am going to spend a little over 300$ because any of these cameras are fairly inexspensive on eBay, I just want the best 7mp camera I can get for my money...overall. Eek this is so hard. If the Canon has something like this than I think I will get the Canon. Also I want to be able to shoot like 5 shots right after another...it is a feature where if something is in motion you can assure you get a good shot.

15. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Just got a 7900 a couple months ago. And I have to say, I LOVE this camera! Still playing around with it, but it takes GREAT pics, and the menus and features are well thought-out and very usable. If you have any questions, feel free to ask/PM me. BTW, the D-lighting works pretty well.

16. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

With those two cameras, you're paying for the compactness, which is not on your list of main concerns. You can do better if you're willing to take a step up in size. However, my money in the category you are considering would be on the SD500. Also consider the Fuji F10 (better in low-light) and Sony DSC-P200 (cheaper, more control over manual controls). I use an SD400 to compliment my DSLR, and I like it quite a bit. The SD500 is, by all accounts, better in just about every way besides portability.

17. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

See I am looking to spend 300-350 for a 7mp digital camera....the SD500 may be better but I haven't found it at a good price.

I have been looking at this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7532165095&category=48541&rd=1

A little over 300$ and accessories too.

If any of you can find a camera that is better than the Nikon for 300-350 on eBay or anywhere I will consider it. Thanks a lot for all of your help. As for now I think I am going to get the Nikon 7900 soon and hopefully I won't regret it when I buy it soon. Man I love you guys....in a non homosexual way, MacRumors people always respond fast and always give me good replies and are really nice... :)

18. WeeShoo macrumors regular

I just purchased a Sony DSC-W5 and am very impressed with it, it also uses nickel plated rechargeable AA's 5.0 Megapixel's for 320.00

19. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Agree that dpreview is very comprehensive with great standardized comparison tools. The best technical performance comparison / review site out there, in my opinion.

To the thread's original point, I've had great picture performance from my 4 MP PowerShot S400 Elph over the past 2 1/2 years. I could only conjecture that this bodes well for the Canon you're considering, but I've been very pleased with the imagining technology Canon used in my Elph.

Butterfly photo has the Canon for $411 - close enough to $450 for you?; B&H is a place I like, but they're at $449.

20. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

For $334 with accessories, is there a camera that can beat that? I am looking around 300-350 for the camera and so far this is the best I oculd find...the SD500 is like 500$...so any suggestions?