What can I do to boost CS3 performance on my G5?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by jdl8422, Aug 16, 2009.

  1. macrumors 6502

    jdl8422

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #1
    Right now at work I have a:
    PowerMac G5 (PowerPC 970 (2.2))
    Dual 2Ghz processors
    2Gb of RAM (8x256MB)
    Stock 160GB hard drive


    I use Photoshop CS3 80% of the time and illustrator & indesign the other 20%. Right now it can take 20min to open a 400-600MB file. Dont even ask about a file that is 1GB lol. Most of my files are 22"x28" 300dpi poster and alot of 300dpi print material. I dont think I can get a new Mac Pro right now but I can upgrade what I have. My plans are to get:

    Dual 1TB hard drives (Caviar Black)
    at least 4GB RAM (2x2GB) maybe more.

    Is there anything else I can do to boost performance? Would a video card help?
     
  2. macrumors 6502a

    TheShinyMac

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    #2
    More ram fasta hard drives if those dont help return them sell your powermac and or ask your boss for a new mac say that the mac is no longer performing well and needs to be replaced
     
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

    jdl8422

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #3
    I told them about a new one, but in their eyes, it works why replace it. Yes it does power on and I am able to do my work, just not as efficient. I think the new Ram and HD will be better, just dont know if it is enough.


    Will a new video card help PS performance? Thanks
     
  4. macrumors 6502a

    TheShinyMac

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    #4
    It will help a little but why put money in a old machine. If you do your boss will probably make you keep it even longer.
     
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

    jdl8422

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2006
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #5
    Im kinda hoping that something big will go out on it and I can just get a whole new one lol.
     
  6. macrumors 68040

    decksnap

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    #6
    Something is very wrong with your computer, OS or CS3 install. That amount of time is way out of wack. Try reinstalling the software, if that doesn't work then the OS.
     

Share This Page