What can i do with a PC on my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by msharp, Jul 14, 2004.

1. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

I recently bought a dual g5 box. But without the VPC7 a lot of tasks is unable to be done, so i need to access to my PC(a Sony Notebook) very often.

Is there a way to connect to my Notebook and use a "Remote Desktop", or something like that? Thanx for anyhelp!
    if there is a software, may anyone tell me its name?

I'm running on OS X 10.3.4
    The notebook is running on Windows XP sp1.

thanks, everyone.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

you could

but i think apples remote desktop like 200 dollars. then again, just use vpc if all u need to do is simple tasks. What are these things you cant do? Curious.... :eek:

4. msharp thread starter macrumors regular

msharp

i wanted to use my notebook because i've been used to the environment that has already been established for my own customization:)
    and, one more thing, i thought vpc was unable to run on g5?

5. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I do the same with a powerbook connected to a network where my pc resides. Just use MS Remote Desktop Connection (a free download as linked above) - it works fairly well with only a small amount of lag.

6. msharp thread starter macrumors regular

msharp

maybe... but remotedesktopclient seemed to be low-effecient?

Thanks for the advice, and i've given the Remote Desktop Client a try. It runs without a trouble, but it seemed to be a low-effeciency app? I've got a G5 box running it, connecting a PIII 1.3G notebook with windows xp sp1 over a 100MB lan... There seems to be no bottle neck for general works...but tell you the truth, I was wondering that i was running a windows xp on a Pentium 90 box. The cursor even have "mouse tail"...i know that wasn't the real "tail" feature that can be configured in control panel.

Any other good options?

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

VNC/RemoteDesktop is about as good as it gets for what you want to do.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

True. However, when VPC 7 eventually makes it out the door, it will support G5s.

9. fossicker macrumors newbie

Hmm, I run it from a g4 ibook connecting via wireless to a p4 desktop. I don't have too much problem with performance except for apps that involve a lot of screen activity. It's not going to work for games. But it's fine for running Quicken on the pc (yes I know there's Quicken for mac but I have a few reasons for keeping it on the pc)

10. msharp thread starter macrumors regular

msharp

Was I going to the wrong place for VNC? http://www.realvnc.com/download.html
    ??
    It seemed that there's not a Mac version package(even not a PowerPC based version); or, did you mean that i download the source code and recompile them on my mac?

11. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular